BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area/Stop 0x50

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hi All,

First time newbie to the forum so please be bear with me.....

A desktop computer that I have been using running Windows XP Home Ed. [HE] SP3 has recently been experiencing multiple problems leading to a "BSOD" error stating Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area along with Stop 0x00000050 (WWWWWWW, XXXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYYY, ZZZZZZZZ).

Here's a short summary of the history of this problem:

1. Computer working fine but noticed Antivirus Firewall switching itself off
2. Contacted Antivirus Software Manufacturer who ran a clean/wff.zip process and advised to un-install and then re-install Antivirus Software [Mcafee].
3. Computer re-booted however Internet (using IE7, I believe) no longer working. Note: Checked on various other devices via ethernet cable and via wireless and confirmed internet, modem and cable not at fault since these devices showed full internet access.
4. Contacted Mcafee who couldn't fix or understand the issue suggested contacting OS provider [Microsoft].
5. Computer no completely unresponsive unable to access home page or log on due to BSOD with the above issues.
6. Miscrosoft suggest re-installation of Windows XP HE SP3 using CD.
7. Ran process to "repair" Windows via CD however was unable to continue passed "c:\windows>" prompt.
8. Contacted computer manufacturer [DELL] who also couldn't help with this issue.
9. Ran some pre-installed software that claimed it would locate and fix any computer problems which also did not work.
10. Am now running Windows with limited functionality using "safe mode restore option" when F8 key held down during restart.

Points to consider:
- No access to the computer outside of the "safe restore mode" as all other options such as "...last known good configuration, safe mode with networking etc.." crash default to the BSOD with the above error code.
- System restore points have been completely wiped clean so cannot revert computer back to a date when it was working fine.
- "Chkdsk" also shows no problems when run along with "chkdsk /f /r"
- I do not believe, or more likely, cannot tell if there is malware/a virus or trojan applications running on the machine. Did a check using "attrib" along with "attrib -ab" looking for .exe or .inf files though couldn't see anything such as this. Again it is possible that I am not sure what I should be looking for hence may have missed something.

That is a summarised version of events however if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. The machine is DELL Dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 processor. 1 GB of RAM. Before anyone says anything - yes it is a slightly older computer but it has been working very well up until the firewall problem.

Thanks and Season's Greetings to you all.

/of London

ktownmike

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
AV programs can cause conflicts when more than 1 is running. In safe mode uninstall one or the other, also AV does not like to play with windows defender. Your overprotection I think is the issue.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for your response but I do not think it is related to AV conflicts because it has been un-installed from the computer. I do not believe that there is any other AV software running on it.

New note: When in "safe restore mode" I am starting to get "kernel32.dll" errors too.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It sounds from your repair attempt that you got only as far as the first of two repair options. Pop the CD back in and go further this time - past the stage where you're prompted to press Function 8 to accept the terms of the EULA then proceed as though reinstalling and you'll find the system will notice an existing installation and offer you the chance of repairing it.

As part of that repair, you'll see a folder called windows.old and that will contain all your personal files. Copy and paste them into the appropriate new Documents and Settings sub-folders and you're back where you started. Programmes won't work without being reinstalled of course but you'll have everything you need as fas as the basic are concerned.

I suggest you then ditch McAfee and use the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes I have tried to "repair" current Windows XP but noticed that the CD I have is SP1 not SP3. Nevertheless I downloaded XP 3 onto a CD and tried that and still no luck.

/of London

That version disparity could cause it in the Home edition because the Recovery Console won't be on an SP1 CD. If you can get to safe Mode with Command prompt, try running Checkdisk using the syntax chkdsk c: /r where C:\ is the system Partition. The /r switch will find and try to fix any disk errors so if there are any and crucial system files fall on bad sectors, you may just repair them.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Yes I already did a "chkdsk /f /r" and it didn't bring up any problems.

Thanks again

/of London

At this stage, I would be running a Linux OS from a LiveCD to see what I could rescue from that hard drive, and at the same time, proving that hardware isn't a problem. I prefer PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com and I use the free burner ImgBurn to handle the burning of the ISO which Nero makes such a fuss over.

I suppose it would be worth trying the System File Checker if you haven't already. Command Prompt - sfc /scannow and have the CD handy in case any fresh files need to be expanded.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have saved everything of worth onto the a separate drive and thinking that a clean install is probably the best bet. All the scans and fixes I have attempted via cmd do bring up any issues.

I am also reluctant to download anything since my computer has no AV so is very vulnerable at the moment.

Thanks

/of London

All I can say is that a friend with an XP CD could be assured that if they lent it to you, it would only be used for repair purposes. I had assumed you were posting from another machine so it's no use suggesting you download SP3 and slipstream a new up-to-date version on to a fresh CD. If you do want to go down that route, Paul Thurrot wrote a tutorial in his SuperSite for Windows http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-xp2/slipstreaming-windows-xp-with-service-pack-3-sp3-128464

Sorry I can't think of any other ways around your problem.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks and yes it is quite an exasperating situation. I now wish I had become an IT/computer professional rather than a producer but that is the way the cookie crumbles.

All help has been much appreciated.

/of London

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
So I wiped everything clean and the computer seems to be working - although on Windows XP SP1. I now want to update it to SP3 plus add any AV software asap from Microsoft site but cannot get onto the Internet through IE.

I am aware that it could be that I need to update "network connections" but not aware of any CDs that were used to do this. I have run connection wizard and it keeps diverting to dial up mode. Only connections I can see are:

LAN or High Speed Connection:
1394 - Enabled/Firewalled

Dial Up:
Dellnet Disconnected

Broadband
Broadband Connection Disabled/Firewalled (This is the one is the one I setup through the wizard instructions).

Is this a common issue?

/of London

The connection is usually handled by a router these days and so long as the LAN (ethernet) connection is enabled and working, and there's a cable from that to the router or MODEM, connection should be automatic. In Control Panel>Internet Options>Connection tab, tick "Never dial a connections" and click Apply and then on the LAN button and tick "Automatically detect settings". Apply that and OK your way out then restart the system.

Have you checked in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager to see if any hardware items have yellow marks beside them? As soon as possible, get the SP3 in then there's another 140 updates after that.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

---

The computer is a DELL Dimension 8300 desktop PC. Previously connecting to internet via ethernet cable.

Looking at the 'Network Adapters' from the Device Manager I cannot see any problems i.e. exclamation marks. However the 'other devices' and in particular the 'ethernet controller' all have exclamations marks/and question marks by them. Trying to post the picture but cannot attach images???

I am not sure were the driver CD lives would I just search for it on the internet (using my laptop) then transfer over on USB stick. Again very worried about how exposed my computer is without AV.

You will need to resolve driver issues and the safest place to go to http://www.dell..com/uk and click on Support and Drivers. Enter your Service Tag reference which is printed somewhere on the case, and follow the link to the right drivers. They will all be executable files so transferring them over by USB is simple enough because once in the affected computer, you need one click for each to run the driver update procedure. You really need only to bother about the ethernet adapter first - once that's in and the system can get online, it could go to the Dell site itself, after going to Microsoft for Security Essentials.

Girl_london

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

All done I assume that the ethernet drivers are all clearly labelled? Cannot see anything obviously.

thanks

/of London

If it still refuses to go online there must be a setting adrift somewhere. In Internet Options>Connection tab>LAN button, pop a tick in "Automatically detect settings" and remove any from the Proxy section. In the General tab, make sure "Never dial a connection" is ticked. Then if you double click the Local Area Connection in Control Panel>Network Connections and check its Properties pages, it should show you sending and receiving packets of data.