[SOLVED] BSOD - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - nvlddmkm.sys (GTX 1080 Ti, W10)

Tatazildo

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hello, everyone.

I've been having problems with my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GPU. All of a sudden, about a week ago, my OS froze and I had no option but to restart it manually. Ever since, I was getting a BSOD with the message "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", related to the process "nvlddmkm.sys" (which is an NVIDIA process) about 5 seconds after booting up Windows (from the login screen, still).

The only way I was able to get past this BSOD was by disabling the dedicated GPU and using my mobo's iGPU. So I did that, went into safe mode, used DDU to uninstall everything and reboot. Ever since I did that, the only way I can use my computer is by using the iGPU. If I connect the display to the GTX it will turn on, off, than on again and immediately show me this, which to me is a clear hint this GPU is either already dead or dying.

To troubleshoot this issue deeper I took a GTX 1050 Ti I had from my older computer and switched with the 1080 Ti. And now comes the interesting part: I connected the 1080 Ti to the other computer, checked compatibility with everything, got the same pattern displayed on the screen, went into safe mode to use DDU, restarted, booted up by using the iGPU and even BEFORE installing any NVIDIA drivers I started getting the same BSOD as before, which again hints that the problem is with the GPU itself and is not software-related (or related to any other hardware at all). The only curious part here is how is it having a problem with a process/task that supposedly is not even installed yet? Or is it?

Please, are there any tips on how to diagnose what specifically is the problem here? Is it fixable or should I go looking for a new GPU?

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro
ASUS Prime Z270K
Intel Core i7 7700K
2x32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CMK32GX4M1D3000C16

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
To troubleshoot this issue deeper I took a GTX 1050 Ti I had from my older computer and switched with the 1080 Ti. And now comes the interesting part: I connected the 1080 Ti to the other computer, checked compatibility with everything, got the same pattern displayed on the screen, went into safe mode to use DDU, restarted, booted up by using the iGPU and even BEFORE installing any NVIDIA drivers I started getting the same BSOD as before
I got a little confused here: so after DDU restarted the PC, you shut it back off to switch the monitor cable from the gpu to the motherboard?
Windows would've run a generic driver on the gpu until you updated the driver, so there was no need to do the above...
Forgive me if I...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
To troubleshoot this issue deeper I took a GTX 1050 Ti I had from my older computer and switched with the 1080 Ti. And now comes the interesting part: I connected the 1080 Ti to the other computer, checked compatibility with everything, got the same pattern displayed on the screen, went into safe mode to use DDU, restarted, booted up by using the iGPU and even BEFORE installing any NVIDIA drivers I started getting the same BSOD as before
I got a little confused here: so after DDU restarted the PC, you shut it back off to switch the monitor cable from the gpu to the motherboard?
Windows would've run a generic driver on the gpu until you updated the driver, so there was no need to do the above...
Forgive me if I misinterpreted this.

The only curious part here is how is it having a problem with a process/task that supposedly is not even installed yet?
With the way you proceeded with troubleshooting, it's probably not caused by the driver.
Through Search, it looks like that error is related to memory - the Vram may be toast.

Does the 1050Ti work in your newer machine?
Did you overclock the Vram?

Solution

Tatazildo

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey there, @Phaaze88 and thanks for the reply.

No, I set DDU to turn off the machine, not reboot it, sorry. Then, when it was turned off, I changed the monitor cable to the iGPU to avoid issues and investigate how the system was treating the dedicated GPU (now without drivers) from within Windows.

I noticed that if Windows installs any driver at all for the 1080 it will crash and start presenting BSODs. I used DDU to avoid that behavior and to try and investigate the issue without any driver installed for the 1080, and then later installing a driver and seeing what happens.

the Vram may be toast.
I think the VRAM IS toast. I used GPU-Z both before installing any drivers on the 1080 on the older mobo and it reported 0 MB Memory and 0 MHz clock on both scenarios. This is interesting to note because it has just happened: I managed to install the NVIDIA Drivers but I'm still not getting any display output if I boot up using the 1080. Only by using the iGPU. But I was able to note this comparison (same result) on GPU-Z.

Does the 1050Ti work in your newer machine?
Did you overclock the Vram?
Yes, perfectly fine. GPU-Z shows correct values for memory size and clock. No, I've never overclocked anything.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I consided the power supply, but you sorta ruled that out already when you swapped gpus, only to reproduce the same error on the older machine.
Uncommon coincidence?
The 1050Ti can't pull the same kind of power as the 1080Ti can either(so they stress the psu differently), but the 2 gpus run off the same drivers.

It's unfortunate that this happened during a hectic time, but best of luck with the repair shop!