Question Bsod preventing windows from booting

Mar 11, 2022
Today I was playing Apex legends, and because the queue times are sometimes long I was watching a video on YouTube. I got the bsod with the error "REGISTRY_ERROR" and a warning that my cpu was overheating. It then attempted to restart my computer, but there was only a blank screen. Whenever I try to turn on my computer I get the bsod and it tries to restart but just goes to a black screen. I tried to go into recovery mode by turning off and on my computer 3x but it didn't work. I booted into recovery off a drive, but I couldn't reset my computer back to any backup or troubleshoot startup without getting errors. I tried booting into a Windows iso and got another error. I don't know what to do. Here are my specs:

EVGA 3060 ti
Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089CQFHHZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title)
This ssd https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K7LRB2T/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600 MHz (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory -

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it (just to make it)

what did you try to do with iso? what error did you get?

You can do this to recover any info off C
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

Mar 11, 2022
Thanks, I'll try that! I just realized that I forgot to include that as I got the bsod for the first time, I got a warning that my cpu was overheating. I forgot what I attempted to do with the iso, but I'll retrace my steps to try to remember, and this time I'll write down the error code.

Mar 11, 2022
I just remembered that when I was downloading the iso from another computer, I got a warning that something was wrong with the USB. I didn't think much of it though, because it seemed to be able to download everything fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what case is it in? how many intake fans or exhaust?

Do you use anything to track temperatures?

heat can cause errors.

I tried to boot into the iso and got this (sorry for blurry photos) the error code is 0xc000000f https://ibb.co/JKP43Vb.

i think PC in that shot is trying to boot off the C drive still or...

I just remembered that when I was downloading the iso from another computer, I got a warning that something was wrong with the USB. I didn't think much of it though, because it seemed to be able to download everything fine.
the installer itself needs to be remade on a new USB drive?

Mar 11, 2022
what case is it in? how many intake fans or exhaust?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC76671?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Do you use anything to track temperatures?
-I think I had msi afterburner

heat can cause errors.

i think PC in that shot is trying to boot off the C drive still or...
-Maybe I had the boot steps in the wrong order?

the installer itself needs to be remade on a new USB drive
-I will try later using a different USB drive, and also doing the ram test. Sorry, I won't be able to do it for another hour or two.

Mar 11, 2022
I think part of the problem is the USB, because when I was trying to write memtest onto it, it was failing, but when I used a different USB it worked perfectly, and got written to literally 10x faster. I will try entering recovery mode using the new USB to see if it helps. Btw, the memtest didn't find anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so 2nd error tells me you need to reinstall windows.. it still appears to be booting off C drive and not USB though as you not going to get srttrail.txt errors unless its trying to run windows. Thats a boot error. Only answer I seen that works for it is a clean install.

boot into bios
put USB into PC
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB drive from list
PC should restart and boot from USB
page 56 of - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v1.1.pdf (this is an X570 motherbaord, MSI don't show all the bios pages in their B550 boards so I use the X570, as bios are almost the same. Just some choices aren't always in both).

you shouldn't get that error

You can do this to recover any info off C
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
I would do that to save anything on C

Mar 11, 2022
I don't have anything important on my computer so I don't need to save anything from my c drive. What is the "save and exit screen," and can I do this with the recovery drive or do I need a Windows iso?

Mar 11, 2022
so 2nd error tells me you need to reinstall windows.. it still appears to be booting off C drive and not USB though as you not going to get srttrail.txt errors unless its trying to run windows. Thats a boot error. Only answer I seen that works for it is a clean install.

boot into bios
put USB into PC
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB drive from list
PC should restart and boot from USB
page 56 of - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v1.1.pdf (this is an X570 motherbaord, MSI don't show all the bios pages in their B550 boards so I use the X570, as bios are almost the same. Just some choices aren't always in both).

you shouldn't get that error

I would do that to save anything on C
I don't see boot override, but is this what you mean? https://ibb.co/fpQF7sV

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is easy mode, hit F7 and
click on setting button on left hand side
choose save & exit tab (should be last choice)
boot override is on this menu.

I should have looked to see what bios looked like, and not assumed you knew where to go.

Mar 11, 2022
that is easy mode, hit F7 and
click on setting button on left hand side
choose save & exit tab (should be last choice)
boot override is on this menu.

I should have looked to see what bios looked like, and not assumed you knew where to go.
It's totally fine! That was actually not easy mode, but I didn't realize there was a tab in the settings for save and exit, I thought you meant what it shows when you exit bios lol.

Mar 11, 2022
Btw, the same thing happened as when I had the USB first in the boot priority. I need to rewrite the windows iso onto the USB and then I'll try running the USB from boot override like you suggested.