BSOD Problem for years, and very much recently

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I'm having a BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by USBPORT.sys and it's been reoccuring during the game Overwatch. I've had problem previously over the years, but recently only while palying OVerwatch. I've also had problems displaying my minidump files as they're "access denied" and I've tried running it as admin and moving them to a zip file on my desktop so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Have we gotten anywhere? that AMD error is what started all this off, and its still there cause you can't find any newer motherboard drivers.

did you try these: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/find-a-driver.aspx

I know you have an asus but if that link above doesn't help, you could try the AMD drivers located on here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Its getting to the stage the easiest fix is to buy a new CPU & Motherboard that actually has drivers. That isn't an old pc and yet AMD isn't supporting it.. my Mums Dell has an E7500 Dual Core in it and I could still update 18 drivers on it today... it had been a while between updates though, not sure if it ever got any.

I don't know...

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

I've run whocrashed and have the results (that I will paste after this paragraph). I have 3 USB devices plugged in: My Razer Chroma Keyboard, Razer Naga Mouse, and my Logitech G933 headset. Overwatch does use Razer Chroma's built in app program to synch its colors with the game, so that may be affecting my computer as well, but I have tried turning it on and off again, with no obvious results. I will also be looking into updating the AMD usbfilter.sys driver, but I've had trouble finding a suitable driver for my Motherboard as the USB drivers are bios updates and I've never flashed my bios before, and thank yo for your reply!

Here are the whocrashed program:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: PIRATE_SHIP
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10586
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17071640576 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 5/8/2016 8:48:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050816-10578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbfilter.sys (usbfilter+0x23C6)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFD000227294A5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800D547C5B3)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbfilter.sys
product: AMD USB Filter Driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices
description: AMD USB Filter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: usbfilter.sys (AMD USB Filter Driver, Advanced Micro Devices).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sun 5/8/2016 8:48:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbfilter.sys (usbfilter+0x23C6)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFD000227294A5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800D547C5B3)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: usbfilter.sys (AMD USB Filter Driver, Advanced Micro Devices).

On Sun 5/8/2016 8:28:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050816-10296-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF80257015075, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800720AC5B3)

On Sun 5/8/2016 7:53:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050816-10500-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF803B6E15075, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801EF8AC5B3)

On Sun 5/8/2016 7:30:17 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050816-10078-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF801D701C3C5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800713CC5B3)

On Sun 5/8/2016 12:25:35 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050716-10078-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFD000249104A5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801F0CAC5B3)

On Wed 5/4/2016 6:56:12 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050316-9906-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFD00028EC57D5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801A644C5B3)

On Sat 4/23/2016 9:35:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042316-9812-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1D4CCA)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF001FE5FDE78, 0x7, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801BEB94CCA)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sat 4/23/2016 9:16:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042316-9812-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF803ADDC93C5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8002072C5B3)

On Thu 4/21/2016 11:48:49 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Previous 3 BSOD\042116-10296-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFD000211687D5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800E219C5B3)

Conclusion

31 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

e1i63x64.sys (Intel(R) Gigabit Adapter NDIS 6.x driver, Intel Corporation)
usbfilter.sys (AMD USB Filter Driver, Advanced Micro Devices)
usbxhci.sys (USB XHCI Driver, Microsoft Corporation)
nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72 , NVIDIA Corporation)
voxaldriverx64.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Colif

Win 11 Master
flashing bios pretty easy on Asus, download the file, extract it to a USB, load into bios, look for ezflash tool, connect USB, find file on usb, it flashes bios for you

https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1012815/

its not often its so easy to identify all the errors, most time it just points at windows.

could try this for the nvidia drivers: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

also, by default you do not have ownership of the files in c:\windows\minidump directory
this will prevent you from creating a .zip file in that directory but you can copy the files from c:\windows\minidump directory to any directory you do have ownership and then do what you want to do with them.

windows retains ownership of the directory so it can report your bugchecks to microsoft, the look for patterns of bugchecks and provide fixes that they push back to your machine if the bug is in microsoft owned code. Otherwise, they just tell the owner of the bug. IE the OEM about it and the OEM puts the fix on their website if they feel like fixing it. In that case you have to check the motherboard vendor for fixes. It is a bad process because most people don't know how to figure out which OEM is at fault and it is up to the enduser to hunt down the non microsoft fixes.

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

All right I'll try EZflashing it soon after going out to dinner, then playing some Overwatch and checking if it BSODs. I ran driverbooster and it updated ~6 out of date drivers so hopefully that'll be helpful as well!

I'll look into using that program as well, for Nvidia's drivers! And again, thank you very much for the help!

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Ah I see that explains the access problems, I tried moving them on my Desktop, but I'm guessing I don't have admin status over it as a default. And yeah they're not very clear with all of these problems, but I figure it's always a learning experience so I'm not too upset (other than frequent BSOD's). Thanks for explaining all that :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible one of the 6 updates you got were AMD chip set drivers for your motherboard as if I look on the Asus site, the last operating system that had AMD Chip set drivers for your motherboard was Win 8. There is nothing listed after then. When you said you had to update the bios to fix the driver that made me wonder. BIOS loads before windows, and includes no drivers.

The BIOS would help as its more likely to share features that comes with newer chip set drivers. also adds compatibility with newer hardware like your keyboard. Its likely the commands sent from chroma kb were enough to cause the errors, since your computer had no idea what to do with them.

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Yeah I'm going to use EZFlash and update my BIOS right now, and I'm actually using the Win8 Chip Set drivers because they're the most recent/closest to Win10. They announced they wouldn't be releasing Win10 Chipset drivers or the like until it was officially released.

And after using Driver Booster to update all of that I had another complication; my USB for my Logitech G933 headset Wireless Receiver would not be detected so I had to roll back to immediately after I installed it. The strange thing was that it functioned totally fine the night before and until yesterday when I got on. Strange. And as I didn't play much Overwatch (Less than a game) I couldn't quite tell you if anything was different for it. I did play BF4 with a friend and I got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD halfway into a match. I had been on the computer and playing other games, such as Rocket League, OSRS, and SFV with no problems.

Anyways I'm going to flash my BIOS right now, and I'll let you know how my system handles it!

Colif

Win 11 Master
You updated the drivers but bios was still running behind, giving it all these new strange requests. Lets see if it resolves any of these new issues now its more up to date

"They announced they wouldn't be releasing Win10 Chipset drivers or the like until it was officially released." << until what was officially released?

run whocrashed whenever you get errors and post them here until we fixed it.

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Headsets/G933-wireless-is-not-working/td-p/1489281

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

On Mon 5/9/2016 10:36:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050916-10062-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mmcss.sys (mmcss!CiSchedulerTaskIndexYield+0x19E)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0x80000003, 0xFFFFF801A1AA7C63, 0xFFFFD0002148CCD0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mmcss.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: MMCSS Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/9/2016 10:36:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mmcss.sys (mmcss!CiSchedulerTaskIndexYield+0x19E)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0x80000003, 0xFFFFF801A1AA7C63, 0xFFFFD0002148CCD0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mmcss.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: MMCSS Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe it was said that until Windows 10 was officially released they would not be creating a chipset for my motherboard until windows 10 is released officially, though I know it was released for consumers 9 months ago, so I'm wondering why they haven't released the drivers.

Anyways, I posted the last two BSOD analyses that were done just now. I'll post them after every BSOD I experience from now on

Colif

Win 11 Master
not seen that file name before.

Multimedia Class Scheduler Service (MMCSS) is a Windows service that allows multimedia applications to get prioritized access to CPU for time-sensitive processing (such as multimedia applications) as well as prioritized disc access to ensure that the process is not starved of data to process. The MMCSS service monitors the CPU load and dynamically adjusts priority so that the application can use as much CPU time as possible without denying CPU to lower priority applications.[1] MMCSS uses heuristics to determine the relative priority required for the task the thread is performing and dynamically adjusts priority based on that.

I don't know where to start with that one

Colif

Win 11 Master
Asus or AMD owe you drivers, I can't believe an OS that was released 11 months ago almost isn't released officially now.

that mmcss.sys error has been linked to Skype, or it may have been a voice service since you were playing BF at the time. If John still reads this thread, he may have a better idea.

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Yeah it's really strange, in fact I just crashed during BF4 (first crash since flashing the bios) but it did not BSOD, rather just froze and the screen went black before restarting. I ran whocrashed, but obviously no BSOD = no minidump file

Colif

Win 11 Master
I guess I should ask what the specs of your machine is, I know what CPU & motherboard you have but rest is a mystery.

The freezing could still tie into fact you using Win 8 drivers for motherboard, though we should make sure.

mmcss.sys used to be part of media player and the media centre software in older versions of windows. Most files that create BSOD are easy to figure out, this not so much. Think in a few months i need to work out how to read logs, I don't have the time now..

try running the second command on this page (DISM): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Ah yeah, sorry should have let you known before, so here's the list:

Build Date: November, 2014
Windows 10 (Upgraded from 7)
NVIDIA GTX 980
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
AMD FX 8350
Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 16B (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO SSD and 1 TB HD ----- Disks C: and E: respectively
EVGA Supernova 1000 80 Plus Gold
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooling

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Wed 5/11/2016 3:51:46 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051016-9984-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF801A83C93C5, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800F852C5B3)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I've gotta give it to you, you've had a lot of different options for me to try and those were options I didn't even know, it's crazy. Learning to read logs sounds brutal, but probably a very helpful ability. I'm going to try running that command now!

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

After running sfc /verifyonly I was given the good message of: "Windows did not find any integrity violations" so I guess that clears up any of those problems

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have we gotten anywhere? that AMD error is what started all this off, and its still there cause you can't find any newer motherboard drivers.

did you try these: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/find-a-driver.aspx

I know you have an asus but if that link above doesn't help, you could try the AMD drivers located on here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Its getting to the stage the easiest fix is to buy a new CPU & Motherboard that actually has drivers. That isn't an old pc and yet AMD isn't supporting it.. my Mums Dell has an E7500 Dual Core in it and I could still update 18 drivers on it today... it had been a while between updates though, not sure if it ever got any.

I don't know if I am serious about the last paragraph.

Solution

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Sadly we haven't really gotten anywhere particularly, and it still crashes when I play particular games. And I do want to ask, I haven't dusted my computer in a good while and I know I definitely NEED to get around to it... but do you think that might, even slightly, have something to do with these crashes?

I shall try the all in 1 drivers right now, restart, and then proceed to play some BF4 to check if it crashes

And since we're on the ball for this, my birthday IS coming up and if I decided to spend some money on a new Mobo and CPU what would you recommend? Something that would also work well with the upcoming GTX 1080 (possibly 1080ti). I obviously have plenty of power so I can handle a powerful Mobo/CPU. And if it's not something you know to recommend I can ask some buds. But in the end it definitely could be a great option since my Mobo and CPU aren't the best (Intel probably would have been safer).

And if you do have some ideas I could go from $500-$1000 (Preferably lower costing, but if it's worth spending more for the future, I wouldn't mind). And again, if you don't really know, it's not a problem! I'm still hoping to find a fix for what's going on now \(o_o)/

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know what CPU I would get if I were buying a new pc now (as opposed to when I got one last year) as I kind of stop looking at hardware once I have a new pc, as its depressing when new stuff comes out and makes mine not as high end anymore... like that 1080ti you mentioned.

I see a lot of 6700k here (but i don't know if they are I5 or I7) and Z170 motherboards, they seem popular... but soon there will be Z270 motherboards and my Z97 will be even older again...

Its hard to fix errors when the software that caused them can't be updated. I hope that AMD driver works for you, I don't know if it was specifically created for that Asrock mobo.

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Yeah I've got an idea on a Mobo and a CPU in the case that I do decide to replace them. And some DDR4 ram as well to go along. And I've had yet another crash where it just blanked out on a black screen so I'm starting to think it's overheating more and more. I'm definitely going to make sure i clean it out within a week. Other than that nothing to report ;-;

Colif

Win 11 Master
i been meaning to clean my case out tomorrow, for about a month now. Its not a hard job in my case, open it up.. take 3 filters out, clean them, put them back in and then fight side of case to go back on. I should clean heat sink but that means moving the actual pc, and I am no where near overheating, hottest thing in my pc right now is a tie between a CPU core and the GPU, and they both on 32

You have a good pc, its a shame you can't get motherboard drivers. My last pc has a 10 year old Motherboard now, it still had drivers for 8.1 and it was released when Vista was new. And yet AMD couldn't be bothered updating drivers for your motherboard which isn't that old. My mums Dell has an 8 year old graphics card that uses VGA, 7 year old CPU, IDE HDD and yet it runs Win 10 pretty well... though if anything breaks like HDD, we better off buying a new pc.

What is AMD/Asus excuse here...

Christian_Enright

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Damn I gotta give it to you though, you're taking good care of it. And yeah I think it's a shame that parts get outdated so quickly, but hey so be it.

At the very least they could TRY and make a driver or something for all of this, it's really saddening... But I decided (unless I can figure it out) I'm going to get an MSI Z170A Pro with an i7 6700k as well as some DDR4 Ram (16gb) to go along. I wish I could have kept this waiting, but the daily problems are insane. The computer freezing/BSODing, games randomly crashing, and some games acting rather oddly. I mean I do my best to rid my computer of all of these problems where my buds will have no problem so I honestly think it's AMD/Asus just being lackluster. At leas MSI's mobo will have damn drivers -_-

EDIT: Not even minutes after booting up BF4 I just crash, no BSOD just black moniters and a restart. Hot damn :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every pc I have had apart from my 1st IBM had an Asus motherboard, I haven't had any problems with them. The 10 year old pc I mentioned has an Asus motherboard, Admittedly for a long time I just didn't bother updating drivers as I assumed parts were so old it was a waste of time. I only did it if I had to. Now, on newer pc I try to keep more up to date, as it can still help. If I hadn't got this one last year I probably would have updated to Win 10 on it too, and had so much fun with new drivers.

I know they support things for a long time span so I have to wonder if its AMD that are the ones showing lack of support.

Get an optical drive too, its so much easier to install Win 10 onto a Z170 board with DVD than with USB. It seems to me that motherboard makers don't want us installing anything on their boards as its a fight to even install Win 10 the first time.

Mums pc works but it has some boots where it sits on a blank screen for over 10 minutes and then eventually starts. That would be cause her Radeon is 8 years old and AMD don't even release drivers for cards half that age, so she using the beta Crimson drivers I guess.