BSOD Randomly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Well I went to use the integrated graphics card, realised it didn't have one. Bit of a fail there. So I've put the original graphics card back in because its just better.
If its any help, I mainly use the computer for playing WoW and if the computer isn't BSODing then WoW is just crashing with error code #132
I'll leave the computer on overnight tonight and post temps in the morning. I've also ran CCleaner yesterday morning but still BSODing

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
As I said in an earlier post, I was aware your Motherboard did not an onboard Graphics Card.

I believe error #132 is DirectX error. Try the following steps when playing WoW and let's see :

Check if IPV6 is checked in your Network Card Properties in Windows 7
Change WoW DirectX setting from DX11 to DX9 and restart the game (Instructions Below)
Go into WoW settings and make sure the "Use IPV6" setting is checked

Start the WoW Launcher
Click on "Options" located in the top left hand corner
Select "Game Preferences"
Select "DX9" from the "Graphics API" drop down menu
Click OK

Let me know how it goes.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I believe the spare Graphics Card was better than the current one as I don't think you were having so many BSOD's with that one.

You might want to stick to the other card for now as we are only trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

BSOD is caused by the same driver as before. Have you tested different Rams apart from what you already have in the system ?

You have to be able to tell which Graphics Card causes BSOD's more frequently and from what I have seen, the Cards you have now seem to crash more than the spare.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
As far as I am aware the bios is completely up to date. I haven't got any other ram to test that either :/

If it is sounding like a motherboard issue, can anyone provide links of a replacement? Can't seem to find one.
Doesn't have to be the same board, just one that'll work with everything

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
The Asus P5LD2, MSI 945GCM5-F V2, Gigabyte G41M-ES2L. Or you can just buy the same board you have now.

Please do some research on the boards I mentioned above, just to make sure your Rams and everything else is compatible.

A word of advice, find at least a different Ram module to test before you take the motherboard replacement route.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I did a clean boot last night, let the computer on over night with nothing but MS Paint open just so I know if it BSOD during the night at all. Got up and the computer was still on, and paint was still open. Opened up WoW, within an hour it had BSOD. Any program I can run overnight on a clean boot for testing?

Oh and today, other than the BSODs and WoW crashing the display driver has been crashing every now and then.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Well I've got 2 computers, my own personal computer and my girlfriends (broken one). So I could transfer my PSU into hers

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Put a spare PSU in this morning at 08:30am. Worked fine up till I put the side panels back on, about 20 minutes ago. Since then, computer has frozen and the display driver has crashed.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Good to hear. At least if there is no BSOD then we know the PC has multiple issues causing both the BSOD and Freezing.

If that ends up being the case, you will have to deal with them as 2 separate issues

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Well I've removed the side panel again, and since then no freezes, or display drivers crashing

Edit: Still freezing. But still no BSOD. If this continues I'll put this down as solved tomorrow :)

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
As long as you are happy with the current state and result, its always good to see the OP's issue fixed.

Thanks to "iknowhowtofixit" He does really know how to fix it :)

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Don't jump the gun yet, just got a BSOD :p

On Wed 23/01/2013 10:28:56 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012313-21855-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x18C04)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF929A4C04, 0xFFFFFFFF91D4B9F0, 0xFFFFFFFF91D4B5D0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 23/01/2013 10:28:56 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1E)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF929A4C04, 0xFFFFFFFF91D4B9F0, 0xFFFFFFFF91D4B5D0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Do you have a totally different Windows 7 installation CD or even an Evaluation version to try ?

I have a feeling you are using a Windows 7 installation with some infused drivers or something of the sort.

If you are sure the Windows 7 Installation is clean, then I strongly suggest you look at your Ram. You might need a totally different brand. What Brand of Rams do you have on the PC now ?

This is started getting me thinking if maybe there is not enough power coming from the rails in the PSU and possibly there is a wire touching something it shouldn't (because of the system not freezing up with the side panel removed and it does with it on).

Where is this unit located exactly in the room its in and what is it sitting on? I know this sounds funky but it's almost like you have an arc happening and making the video card hiccup.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Not at home at the minute so picture will have to wait till this evening. Computer is just sat beside the desk, on the floor (carpet). My friends floor where it was before I owned it is wooden.

:heink: :heink:

Oddly enough I have seen a situation similar to this where we actually replaced every internal component in a user's computer only to later learn that he was on a burber/shag type carpet that was causing a static electricity arc through the computer somehow. We had him take the computer to his kitchen counter and turn it on and it stopped shutting down and locking up on him once he had it there but when he put it back on the floor it started up again.

See if your motherboard has a over-volt protection option in the BIOS (which isn't really common anymore) but right now we have to think uncommon in this situation.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Sorry for long delay, been extremely busy. Checked the motherboard, no such option I could find. Replaced all the cables that are replaceable, and put the computer up on the desk. Only 1 BSOD today, and no freezes.

Ovibag

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I still have to have the side panel off, which is kinda dangerous with a 1 year old running around. Buy a new case perhaps?