[SOLVED] BSOD Reboot Cycle

Jan 6, 2021
Hi all-
I completed by PC build last week, installed all the necessary programs etc. Last week my PC crashed during a game, and got into a BSOD crash cycle with various error codes:

- 0xc000021a
-Critical Structure corruption
-kmode excpetion not handled
-bad pool caller
-memory management
-system thread exception not handled
-kernal security check failure

There are a lot more but these are just the ones I have written down

I did the following:
  • updated the BIOS
  • ran memtest86 (no errors)
-reinstalled windows (kept files)

Here are some snippets from my event viewer View: https://imgur.com/a/sXD4vFo

Here are some of the details from a crash dump directories:

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
On Thu 12/31/2020 10:39:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8299)
Bugcheck code: 0x4A (0x7FFAC0855AC4, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF607954D6B80)
Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread is returning to user mode from a system call when its IRQL is still above PASSIVE_LEVEL.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Thu 12/31/2020 1:54:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\123120-6875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5780)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x10, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800148973E9)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Thu 12/31/2020 10:39:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\123120-6218-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x4A (0x7FFAC0855AC4, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF607954D6B80)
Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread is returning to user mode from a system call when its IRQL is still above PASSIVE_LEVEL.
On Thu 12/31/2020 10:17:38 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\123120-6031-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80205C27960, 0xFFFF8C04891B7D90, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
On Thu 12/31/2020 10:14:46 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\123120-8890-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC000021A (0xFFFFDF03DF0A2650, 0xFFFFFFFFC000007B, 0xFFFFDF03DC9FF850, 0x0)
Error: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
Bug check description: This means that an error has occurred in a crucial user-mode subsystem.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

Ultimately, I was finally able to boot windows and I had no issues until last night....the BSOD errors are so bad that I cant even boot from a USB drive to reinstall windows. What are my options? Can I erase my SSD then boot from USB directly from BIOS in order to reinstall windows?

Please help

Here are details on my build:
Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse 3.6GHz 6-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
B550 Pro4 AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard
Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C18D-16GVK - Black
SuperNOVA 750 GT 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
P1 1TB SSD 3D QLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
ASUS DUAL AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO OC Edition Gaming Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 8GB GDDR6 memory, HDMI, DisplayPort, 1440p Gaming

Colif

Win 11 Master
those aren't regular bsod I see
Since it doesn't seem to be ram, try testing the storage drive

I don't know if this has any tests - https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

I would run chkdsk c: /f on the nvme in command prompt (admin). Will need to agree to run it at restart

can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
  • copy that file to documents
  • upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  • and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Jan 6, 2021
I cant boot windows at all let alone run a test from the command prompt

EDIT:

Boot menu choices:
windows boot manager
NVME
UEFI : sandisk (my windows installation boot)

selcting any of those results in BSOD

I select NVME and I get the CMD layout on my sceen, but I cant type anything. After awhile the windows logo pops up and I get a BSOD

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry, i missed that paragraph

have you tried boot override?
put usb in at boot
go into bios
leave boot order as is
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB from list and PC should restart and boot off USB

or you can do this from the tools menu of bios
Can I erase my SSD then boot from USB directly from BIOS in order to reinstall windows?

If you get BSOD during the install process its hardware as no drivers are running. If it happens after the 1st restart it could be the NVME.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows Boot Manager would be trying whatever drive it has listed as boot device, so the NVME I expect.

Boot override over rules the boot order one time, you pick USB from it and PC should restart and load from USB. If you still getting BSOD then, you can try booting a Ubuntu Live USB and see if Ubuntu any better, and run tests on hardware from it - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Jan 6, 2021
I created the ubuntu USB , but I dont have the option to try ubunto without installing it. I went ahead an just selected the "ubunto" option from the boot options and I just get black screen.

Edit: Tried it again, and was able to get the asrock symbol and a ubuntu symbol, but it is frozen

Last edited: