Question BSOD related to bad SSD ?

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Hi

ct1000mx500ssd4 - Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD

Timeline describing all my actions and problems.

15 October
  • 1st Blue Screen of Death
  • PC won't boot past BIOS and BIOS does not recognize an SSD in my system, tried to fiddle with settings but to no avail

19 October
  • Tried placing SSD in other slot but that slot was not suitable for this type of SSD, placed the SSD back into the original slot
  • Rebooted my PC and it works again by just placing the SSD back into the original slot.

7 December
  • 2nd BSOD
  • Waited for 30 minutes to let the pc cool off and restart my pc and it works, PC starts like it should

Now of course this makes me wonder if I should worry about the health status of my SSD and/or if there is maybe another component that could be broken ?
What are the tests I can do to find out that it is really my SSD that is broken here ?
I ran some temperature tests with a heavy game (A Plague Tale: Requiem) and my GPU gets to 88C ; my SSD gets to 65C which is quite a lot if I'm correct.
I have decent airflow in my pc with a Fractal Meshify 2 case and a bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 as a GPU cooler.

What can I do to prevent getting another BSOD ?
If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Thanks for your help !

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
what ssd do you have

if it is cheap then this problem is easily solvable by shedding some extra money to a good reputable ssd.

also is this a nvme

if not then get a new cable as well.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
thanks for the reminder, you can go into cmd on windows and insert the command "CHKDSK" and it will check the entire ssd for any faults and attempt to fix them.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Can you retrieve a SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl?
Schermafbeelding-2022-12-08-084645.png

This is at idle state. If you need more info, let me know. Thanks for helping

thanks for the reminder, you can go into cmd on windows and insert the command "CHKDSK" and it will check the entire ssd for any faults and attempt to fix them.
Seems like I would need to do something to make it work or is the above report enough ? Also, the ssd is
ct1000mx500ssd4 - Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD

C:\Users\Frede>CHKDSK
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or
the disk may be locked by another process.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
and make sure the disk is unlocked.

C:\Users\Frede>CHKDSK
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or
the disk may be locked by another process.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
and make sure the disk is unlocked.
Can you show a photo of the BSOD?

SSD seems fine. Run chkdsk from elevated command prompt.
chkdsk c: /f

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

Also - list specs of your system and
show photo of your system with side panel removed.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Can you show a photo of the BSOD?

SSD seems fine. Run chkdsk from elevated command prompt.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

Also - list specs of your system and
show photo of your system with side panel removed.

Hi , since last time there have been some new things to be looked at. Typing from my phone now so apologies for autocorrections.

Firstly i would like to add that BSOD Always occurs when under Light load. (Chrome, listening to Spotify, ...) this would eliminate heat problems if Im correct since they were not excessive at that time.

I have received a total of 4 different stop codes on different occasions today when getting bsod in this order:

1. KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

2. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

3. INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE

4. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

I was able to perform somewhere between all these error reports (not sure when):

Run chkdsk from elevated command prompt.

It returned the following results:

20221208-122324.jpg

20221208-122221.jpg

My specs are

Windows 11
Nvidia geforce 2080
2x8 GB ddr4 RAM (bios doesnt mention manufacturer)
Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Gigabyte Z 390 Gaming x
I7-9700k @ 3.60GHz

spec-small.jpg

As for a picture of my pc I currently don't have access so this is the best I could find. The SSD is placed in slot 14 with the 'cooling plate' on top of it. Right above 14 is the huge bequiet cpu Cooler as well.

Thanks so much for spending your time on this.

Your read error rate (attribute #1) is non-zero, so your SSD has started to degrade. CHKDSK confirms this.

It is not a good idea to run CHKDSK in repair mode against a failing drive. That's because Microsoft cares more about maintaining a consistent file system than it does about protecting your data. CHKDSK will often sacrifice your data for the sake of the file system.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Your read error rate (attribute #1) is non-zero, so your SSD has started to degrade. CHKDSK confirms this.

It is not a good idea to run CHKDSK in repair mode against a failing drive. That's because Microsoft cares more about maintaining a consistent file system than it does about protecting your data. CHKDSK will often sacrifice your data for the sake of the file system.

Would it be safest to just go with a new ssd or is there something else to check first ? (Maybe fresh installation of windows ?)

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
If you are willing to sacrifice one P/E cycle, you could rewrite every sector:

http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html

See this thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/kc3000-odd-behaviour.3786814/post-22866349
currently I cannot even start Windows. It just boots into BSOD saying inaccesible boot device.

I have win 11 on a usb but other than that no devices to download on.

Since the first time my problem was solved by just taking out and putting back the SSD and the problems CHKDSK showed can we reasonably say that the SSD is the problem ?

I want to look into DiskFresh but it sounds like it’s going to be hard for an average user, no?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
there are softwares out there (i have used some on clients bad drives) that are meant to repair partitions in the ssd, but most likely the attached storage on these drives get old, i reccomend getting a new one, maybe a samsung, you can get a 980 1tb nvme for 80 bucks.

Reactions: Coryn94

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
there are softwares out there (i have used some on clients bad drives) that are meant to repair partitions in the ssd, but most likely the attached storage on these drives get old, i reccomend getting a new one, maybe a samsung, you can get a 980 1tb nvme for 80 bucks.
Is it at least almost as good as the one I have now and what would be the procedure ?

Get the old ssd out of the system, install win 11 from my usb onto the new one ?

Or is it recommended or needed to first remove everything from my old ssd ?

Will i maybe need a new win 11 licence as well ?

Also, does my motherboard even support nvme ssd ? Currently there is an m2 ssd placed

Thanks

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
the 980 is much better than your old drive.

so if you can get a hold of your win 11 service key you can use it on another system as long as you use one at a time, or else its illegal, i do not reccomend you do illegal activity.

its pretty straight forward, remove first nvme you had and plug new one in, use usb to instal win 11 and input your service key, then you have a new drive with nothing on it.

Or is it recommended or needed to first remove everything from my old ssd ?
If you're removing old SSD, then there's no need to do anything with it.
Unless you want to give it to somebody else. Then clean it first.
Will i maybe need a new win 11 licence as well ?
No. License is tied to motherboard.
Re-installation of windows (same version/same edition) doesn't require a new license.
Also, does my motherboard even support nvme ssd ? Currently there is an m2 ssd placed
Your board supports sata M.2 and nvme M.2 drives.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015

so if you can get a hold of your win 11 service key you can use it on another system as long as you use one at a time, or else its illegal, i do not reccomend you do illegal activity.

its pretty straight forward, remove first nvme you had and plug new one in, use usb to instal win 11 and input your service key, then you have a new drive with nothing on it.
Awesome, thanks for the clear comment. However will it fit into a gigabyte z390 gaming x ?

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015

Im going with the 980 nvme ssd. It states 3500 read/ 3000 read which sounds good.

Do i buy a new heatsink with it or can I reuse the old one ? If i reuse the old one is there anything i need to do ?

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
@Nephern ; @SkyNetRising ; @fzabkar

Thank you all for being part of the solution to my problem.
I just installed a new NVME and until now all seems fine.

Are there certain tests I should run to see if that was indeed the problem or just wait and see if a BSOD will eventually show up?
Or are there certain things you should maybe always do when installing a new ssd ?

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS