BSOD, replaced the RAM after MemTest showed errors and still can't boot windows

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
My freshly built PC blue screened and started blue screen looping after around 7 hours of running fine. I called Microsoft and they had me reinstall windows 10. This didn't solve the issue and they recommended I take it into a Microsoft store.

The computer will even BSOD on a windows USB boot drive with no other storage connected.

PC hardware:
i5-6600k
16gb Corsair vengeance LPX 3200 MHz
Asus TUF z170 S
Asus DUAL GTX 1070
EVGA SuperNova G2 650w

Windows 10 is installed on a OCZ Trion 150 480gb SSD

The windows error is ATTEMPT TO WRITE READONLY MEMORY and 0xc000021a.

Thank you for any assistance.

Update: Replaced the RAM and it still shows errors and will not boot windows. Title updated.

Solution
Might be best taking PC to a repair store - not necessary a MS shop, but someone who has spare parts and can figure out what cause is. We saw 12k errors in the ram so that was a real error, but its unusual for it to be still complaining now. It might mean the motherboard is to blame for the errors.

None of the errors scream CPU to me, the errors might just be drivers but you already fresh installed and since PC is only fairly new, it could be a faulty part that needs to be identified and replaced (can rma it to makers since it would be under warranty).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is PC overclocked? might want to remove it till its fixed.

Bug Check 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

MS resolution suggestions

thats not a very fun error. It locks you out of windows. Was this the one you got before the reinstall?

I could be wrong but running installer without a storage device probably would create a bsod. Only other common cause of a bsod during install is ram so could run free version of http://www.memtest86.com/ on the ram sticks, 1 stick at a time. Any errors 1 too many.

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
The PC isn't overclocked.
This is the error I got before I reinstalled yes, either that or the attempted to write read-only memory.

I have tried switching the ram to different slots and tried both sticks individually. To use this Memtest I would need another PC that can boot windows, correct? Because I don't have another one that uses DDR4.

This just really sucks because it was my first day using the computer after I built it so I didn't even get to play any games and I can't use it, I'm just confused how it could be a hardware issue now when it was fine for like 7 hours prior to installing AVG.

Edit: after checking the website I see it boots from USB. I will give that test a go and report back. If anybody has anymore suggestions in the mean time I'll take what I can get at this point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY

In most situations, this BSOD error is caused by failures in the memory hardware, and sometimes by a faulty device driver or hardware failure. Incorrect operating conditions such as high settings for the frequency of memory and Overclocking can result to this error.

http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2014/04/a-guide-to-the-attempted-write-to-readonly-memory-blue-screen-of-death-error/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes. I would say that. The only score you want in memtest is 0 errors.,. though 1 isn't too bad depending on test, 12,437 is way out.

Good to find ram is bad 1 day after making PC, should be easy to rma and replace.

if its 2 sticks, test the other stick in same slot and perhaps test that 1st one in another slot to confirm its not the motherboard slot itself. Once again, one stick at a time.

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Alright. Tried both sticks seperately in a few different slots and they always came back with over 1,000 errors at the end of test 4.

I guess I'll be RMAing both sticks.

Thanks a lot for the help, this is my first build and I had never heard of Memtest.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 uses ram more than previous versions but 7 hours isn't long enough for it to use much. I expect the ram caused both of them as may have corrupted the information in your install that led to 1st error.

You were just lucky to install Windows the 1st time i think.

Anyway, hope thats all you need to fix it :)

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
So, the new RAM arrived a half hour ago, I just plugged it in and attempted to boot Windows.. same problem again.

At this point it must be something else causing the problem?

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

The same blue screens I was getting before, either MEMORY_EXCEPTION or ATTEMPT TO WRITE READ ONLY MEMORY.

I thought prime95 could be booted off a flash drive? I'm probably wrong. Really not sure what to do anymore at this point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Might be best taking PC to a repair store - not necessary a MS shop, but someone who has spare parts and can figure out what cause is. We saw 12k errors in the ram so that was a real error, but its unusual for it to be still complaining now. It might mean the motherboard is to blame for the errors.

None of the errors scream CPU to me, the errors might just be drivers but you already fresh installed and since PC is only fairly new, it could be a faulty part that needs to be identified and replaced (can rma it to makers since it would be under warranty).

Solution

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Alright, just for shits and giggles I tried uninstalling the graphics card and running it with one stick of RAM and no peripherals or anything and it still blue screened.

This pretty much narrows it down to MOBO or CPU right? Unless it could be the power supply some how but I couldn't see that being the case.

I guess I have no choice but to take it somewhere because I don't have a spare MOBO or CPU to test it with.

I'll try to update this post with what the shop finds or if I need anything else.

Thanks for your help

U_GotPwnd

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I got the computer back on Thursday, the CPU was faulty. I had them replace it with the one they used to test it so I knew for sure it would boot. I reinstalled windows and have been using it the past few days and it seems to be fine.

Thanks for the help Colif,
Answer updated.