[SOLVED] BSOD SrtSrtTrail.txt after resetting password

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Have a lot of issues, and not even sure where to start. I forgot the password on my older computer so looked up and found a way to reset the password by shutting computer down twice and having it go to repair mode, advanced options, then to command prompt.
I successfully got in and everything was working fine. While checking on things and trying to tidy it up for adding more files and a game or 2, I accidentally deleted a ton of photos and now I think possibly some Windows files in a file I thought was just trash. Not sure how I did it, but it's done.
I thought I would just do a system restore in the hopes of seeing if there was any chance of recovering some of if not all deleted items. System restore finished successfully. I then realized that I would have to do the password thing all over again.
The computer now boots to repair mode and then the bsod everytime. I have been able to go to advanced options in repair mode and get to restore, but when I try this it states I need to add protection to the drive, and can go no further. I am sure that all the drives including C: where protected prior to the initial seemingly successful restore. I tried going into the cmd prompt and trying restore that way, and same thing. The interesting thing is that Windows shows the my os is on drive E:, but I have no drive E:. I went ahead and tried system restore choosing drive E: which it allows, C: always shows the error msg that I need to add protection and is ineligible for system restore. It runs for quite some time, and then error messages the system restore was unsuccessful.
I tried the HDD in 2 other computers and both times it wanted to run a full chkdsk, but finds no errors .
I am worried that somehow when I deleted the large file by mistake that something of Windows 10 went with it, but I don't see how. I lost a lot of work, and also my Windows 10. I am thinking this drive was on it's way out, but last time I used it it was fine.
Any advice/help would be really appreciated.

Solution
Most of the time I see that txt file name in an error, the fastest fix is a clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

anything on C drive you need to save?

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

once you copied everything you need, clean install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most of the time I see that txt file name in an error, the fastest fix is a clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

anything on C drive you need to save?

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

once you copied everything you need, clean install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: silversmithy
Solution

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I will try this out. I did have a USB with media creation tool I made up back in May, and tried to install last night. Unfortunately it said there was nothing on it, or was incomplete. I forget. Anyway I hope that the creation tool I download today will work. Any chance you think that I have any hope of recovering my lost photos, etc.? Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you run media creation tool to make the iso or did you just copy it onto the USB? It won't work if you only do 2nd part

I don't know about recovery, you might be able to. The system restore you ran already may have complicated things but its worth looking.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I was afraid of that. After I realized that the folder I deleted had all my photos and personal items on it I figured the only way to possibly retrieve was a system restore. The strange thing is that this particular hard drive was the back up in one of my Windows 7 ultimate machines, and I guess I had forgotten that it had Windows 10 on it. I had downloaded all my personal files on to that particular 7 hard drive, but when I went to use that computer I could not pull up any of my photos, etc. and got an error msg that there were either in another location or not found. How in the world did they end up on the back up hard drive that had Windows 10?
The only way I found out was when I pulled the back up drive to finish a budget build I am doing and found out that was Windows 10 drive I had accidentally and unfortunately put as a backup in that Windows 7 machine. I was able to open the folder once I got back into the Windows 10 and the first few photos I was sure I already had backed up on a thumb drive quite a while ago, so stupid me I thought I'll free up lots of room for this new set-up. Big mistake. When I hit delete I just happen to glance, and it was ALL of my previous saved files judging by the huge number if files it was showing were deleting. It was too late too click cancel, and it was all over.
I do not know what transpired between that Windows 7 HDD, and the now troubled Windows 10 HDD and how all my files that were downloaded to the 7 ended up on the 10. If only I had not mistakenly put that particular 10 HDD into that 7 machine over a year ago.
So at this point if I were to reinstall the troubled 10 HDD as a backup to the Windows 7 or another older machine I have here would there be any way to try to retrieve that folder, or do just a system restore? The other big issue is that it shows I need to put protection on that drive, and prior to the ill fated system restore I know it already had it on because i looked at it and it was. This is such a mess now and I cannot believe I did it.
Thank you so much for your help and patience. Too bad this is not just a bad nightmare and not reality.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So at this point if I were to reinstall the troubled 10 HDD as a backup to the Windows 7 or another older machine I have here would there be any way to try to retrieve that folder, or do just a system restore?
I just woke up and I am already confused
What folder do you want to retrieve? the backup or images?
I would put drive in other PC and see if you can get any,

System restore isn't magic, it just recreates registry how it was, I don't think it has files as well. If you want files you need to do backups. Yes, I know you were, but system restore isn't really to be relied on for that purpose, its more insurance in case a driver you install doesn't work properly.

at this point just trying to save data is more important than your logon. Think you will need to clean install win 10 to fix it.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Sorry, I know it is really confusing. I researched as well and I agree that restore will most likely not get my lost photos/files back. As stated before I was able to reset password and get back into my computer, but made the mistake of deleting wrong folder. I panicked after watching my good folder disappear and stupidly did system restore which I should have known would most likely not get deleted files back.
One thing though. When I went to delete the folder it stated it was too large to copy to the recycle bin, (or something like that), and just prompted me to delete all. That should gave been my cue or hint to stop.
Anyway at this point I will try the Windows 10 tool and try to repair and or clean install. Any other advice before trying this?.... I think I need more sleep.😐. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I went to delete the folder it stated it was too large to copy to the recycle bin, (or something like that), and just prompted me to delete all. That should gave been my cue or hint to stop.
if you got that warning and kept going, they gone now. It only says that if files are too large, it just deleted them instead of putting in recycle bin.

I know its too late now but you should put images like that on a cloud server as then if you make a mistake you have copies.
Sorry for your loss.

System restore points only include system files, installed applications, Windows Registry, and system settings at the time of creation but not personal files like music, image or other documents. Through restore points, you can easily revert your system to a previous state, e.g. in the event of a failed update or faulty driver. They aren't to be relied on, they aren't backups.

Clean install as I said in 1st reply only real answer for that error code. I don't fully understand that error to have found a better answer. It the boot files or something that are messed up.

Last edited:

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So I was able to get the media creation tool with Windows 10 64 bit downloaded and used that USB drive to boot from.
Since it has been a while since I last had to do this I am wondering if I choose upgrade or custom install. Please advise.
Thank you.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS