[SOLVED] Bsod, ssd spiking, windows repair. Drive dying or something else?

Mar 14, 2021
So i was playing some games (installed on my hdd) with some friends when i noticied that my ssd(no games installed in it, boot drive) usage was skyrocketed to 100% for about 2-4 minutes and things started to not respond. Eventually it fixed itself but with constant temporary spikes to 50+ usage. I opened resource monitor and i saw that nothing was writing or reading over 20k bytes, which doesnt make since with the usage of my ssd. Eventually the ssd spiked again and after 30-50 seconds everything from the resource monitor was gone and the ssd while at 100%, nothing was being read or written. Soon the usage went back to 0% and i got a bsod with the code unexpected_store exception and the "0% complete" wouldn go up. Eventually the pc rebooted and i was greated to a "windows requires repair with the supposed causw being winload.exe and the only way to boot into windows is to power of the computer from the power button and power it back on. My question is, is the ssd dying or is windows just <Mod Edit> up something and i need to format the drive or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
unexpected store exception means there was a problem in virtual memory. The store is used by CPU to track the locations of all data in Virtual memory. Virtual memory is Page file + ram. Page file is on ssd

How much ram in PC, how much was game using? If game uses too much ram then windows has to run off page file, and it will cause usage on ssd. Maybe not 100% but some and it will slow PC down as page file slower than ram.

What is brand of the ssd? you can run tests on it, most makers have their own programs.

It could just be a driver

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file...

Colif

Win 11 Master
unexpected store exception means there was a problem in virtual memory. The store is used by CPU to track the locations of all data in Virtual memory. Virtual memory is Page file + ram. Page file is on ssd

How much ram in PC, how much was game using? If game uses too much ram then windows has to run off page file, and it will cause usage on ssd. Maybe not 100% but some and it will slow PC down as page file slower than ram.

What is brand of the ssd? you can run tests on it, most makers have their own programs.

It could just be a driver

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

• Open Windows File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  • Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  • Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  • Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  • Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  • Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Solution