[SOLVED] BSOD / startup repair loop nightmare. Help. Please.

Feb 5, 2022
Repost from Reddit and LTT forums after getting no responses there.

"
Not a tech newb or elite. Middle of the road, I know more hardware than software but can navigate DOS.

So random BSOD's have been happening for a couple months now, I have been busy with work and family so I haven't had the time to troubleshoot. They would happen every few days to a week apart or sometimes hours apart. Then 3 days ago it happened again and turned into a startup repair loop that couldn't repair. I should note that this happened after I updated the driver for my motherboard (yes they were the correct drivers).

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I have taken, I'm sure I am missing some.

Windows reset - error.
System restore - error.
chkdsk came back clean.
Tried this (https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-save-data-from-a-pc-that-wont-boot) - no go. Wouldn't load into windows.
Set the bios to defaults in case something was messed up in there.
Updated the bios.
Took out my main M.2 drive with the data I need to save (yeah I know, I should have backed up) to install windows on my secondary to then put my main drive back in, get my files and then wipe the entire thing and start fresh.
Installed a fresh copy of windows installer onto a thumb drive. - Error winload.efi was missing
Formatted the drive in NTFS and installed windows onto the thumb drive again.
Windows loaded the files 100% and then errored out at around 3-5% during install saying there were missing files.
Thought maybe it was a bad image so I ran the install on the thumb drive again and again the same thing happened.
Read there could be conflicting driver that removing all peripherals may help as they may be somehow conflicting. Waited for windows to load all files and then removed everything but the power and HDMI (yes including the thumb drive) Hit about 7% install (hope was in sight) and then again said missing files.
Read somewhere that the drive you are installing to could have bad sectors so to reduce the chances of writing to those sectors to reduce the drive size. Would not let me.
Sighs, ok, screw it, nuke the drive. Went into diskpart, cleaned it, created the partition, started formatting and then at around 25-30% complete got a BSOD.
Takes shot Because what else can you do at this point smh.
Ran chkdsk again and still all good.
Currently running memtest86+ sitting at 45 minutes in at 69% with 0 errors.

Was running windows 10 64bit (up to date)
Aorus x570 elite
Ryzen 3600
32gb crucial ballistix 16gbx2
ROG Strix 5600xt
WD Black SN750 500gb NVME (main boot drive, also the drive I need data off of) currently taken out to preserve data.
Samsung 980 1tb (game and program drive) the drive I have been trying to install a fresh copy of windows to.
Seasonic Focus GM-750 750W 80+gold

Build is a year old (last dec or jan) Same with the OS.

Probably doesn't matter stuff:
Coolermaster masterliquid ML360R AIO
Set of 3 RBG fans
EVGA DG-77 case. "

And then

"
Update: Linux saved the day. Created a Ubuntu live drive. Reinstalled my main M.2 and was able to access my files and copy them all to an external that way.

My next steps are to install Ubuntu since I can't install windows for w.e reason and then once that install is complete reinstall windows. With any luck I will be able to reinstall windows that way.

I also have my mini dump files (I copied the entire drive to my external). But when I follow method 2 using perfmon report it doesn't do anything, well maybe it does but I gave it like 10-15m and nothing. Thinking this is due to the files being from another PC? Either way I need to analyze them because I would love to know what was happening. Doesn't seem like a hardware issue, Ubuntu is running just fine (off the thumb drive) so far. Watched a video on the Windows SDK, will this work to check out the minidumps as well or just full MEMORY.DMP? I don't seem to have the full dumps but will for sure configure that from now on. "

Live update as of now. Ubuntu I had zero issues with, used it for a couple hours with no crashes (still don't know what a Ubuntu crash looks like lol). Reinstalled windows and back to the same thing, BSOD's every few minutes. Just wiped both drives and reinstalled which seemed to go fine. Then when windows loaded up it crashed within a min or 2 and the file explorer that is pinned to the start bar is broken.

Please help. Have been dealing with this on an off for months, I just need help figuring out the problem so I can fix it. I would assume it has to be a driver issue due to it running flawlessly on Ubuntu. But I just wiped the drives so there are no drivers other than the windows installed drivers atm. Super frustrated. I work from home half the time and cannot afford a new PC atm.

Solution
Windows loaded the files 100% and then errored out at around 3-5% during install saying there were missing files.
was the error on the screen where you pick the drive to install on? as that can be an error caused by the USB drive you are installing off
Try using another USB drive

Most of the time BSOD during install are caused by ram, its only after you pick a drive and do a few restarts that the install is running on the ssd.

linux working fine is normal, linux doesn't stress PC as much as windows can. I would run a few hardware checks in linux since it works okay.

I prefer this way to copy info off a dead install, but it needs the USB to work
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install...

Colif

Win 11 Master
was the error on the screen where you pick the drive to install on? as that can be an error caused by the USB drive you are installing off
Try using another USB drive

Most of the time BSOD during install are caused by ram, its only after you pick a drive and do a few restarts that the install is running on the ssd.

linux working fine is normal, linux doesn't stress PC as much as windows can. I would run a few hardware checks in linux since it works okay.

I prefer this way to copy info off a dead install, but it needs the USB to work
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Solution