[SOLVED] BSOD - Stuck out of ENTIRE PC, black screen when booting from USB

Jun 10, 2020
Hi Guys,

Last night as I was playing fortnite my PC crashed and booted into a BSOD with error code 0xc0000428. Since I was stuck in a loop unable to do anything except than to enter the BIOS, I then created a bootable USB using windows media creation tool in order to repair my installation. I went into BIOS, setup the USB as the primary boot drive, enabled legacy boot and tried with both UEFI and BIOS modes and I got the same result: A black screen, however this time it gives me the error code 0xc000000f. Most fixes I have researched online require me to boot from a USB so I have no idea how to proceed. Sorry if I have not included any necessary info, I am new to this forum!

I get the following message for error code 0xc0000428 :

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified.

Error code: 0xc0000428

You'll need to use recovery tools. if you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."
___

Additionally, when booting from CSM mode and putting my USB on top of the boot hierarchy, I get a windows logo (never reached this screen before) which after about 10 seconds, blinks once, and at this point my actual USB device stops flashing, indicating that its not being read from the PC and obviously it gets stuck on this screen indefinitely. I don't know if that info is useful but I thought I'd mention just in case.

· System Manufacturer: Custom PC
· Exact model number: N/A
· OS - Windows 10 - I dont know how to locate version/build number without accessing windows
· x64 (64-bit)
· What was original installed OS on system? Blank SSD
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? I installed from a bootable USB, unlicensed
· Age of the computer: less than 2 months
· Age of OS installation: 2 months, have never re-installed

· Laptop or Desktop computer? Desktop
· CPU - i5 10600k
· Video Card - Asus Dual OC 3060ti
If Desktop please also include:
· MotherBoard - MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
· Power Supply - Corsair RM650x

List of things I have tried so far:
  • Switched the RAM sticks
  • Removed the SSD and tried to boot from USB only
-Recreated a bootable USB using Rufus - I tested both USBs on my brothers PC and they work just fine (so the USB isnt the problem)
-Tried both CSM and UEFI mode when booting
-Tried to boot into safe mode by interrupting boot process 3 times in a row 0 no luck; I cant access safe mode
-Disabled fast boot and enabled legacy boot
- Disabled XMP and CPU overclocking

I'm honestly at a loss here... I really don't wanna take my PC to a repair shop as they are known to try and get as much money as possible off their clients. Any suggestions?
In the worst case scenario, I would be okay with wiping my drive completely and losing all my files - since the PC is new I don't have much that I care about on it.

EDIT: After fiddling around with some settings, i was able to get to a blue screen with error code 0xc0000001.

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
An Unexpected error has occured. Error code 0xc0000001
You'll need to use recovery tools .... etc etc.

Press ENTER to try again
Press F8 for startup settings

I was able to access the startup settings for the first time, however every single option takes me back to the first Blue Screen, with the same error message!

Last edited:
Solution
Hi Guys,

Last night as I was playing fortnite my PC crashed and booted into a BSOD with error code 0xc0000428. Since I was stuck in a loop unable to do anything except than to enter the BIOS, I then created a bootable USB using windows media creation tool in order to repair my installation. I went into BIOS, setup the USB as the primary boot drive, enabled legacy boot and tried with both UEFI and BIOS modes and I got the same result: A black screen, however this time it gives me the error code 0xc000000f. Most fixes I have researched online require me to boot from a USB so I have no idea how to proceed. Sorry if I have not included any necessary info, I am new to this forum!

I get the following message for error code 0xc0000428 ...

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hi Guys,

I get the following message for error code 0xc0000428 :

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified.

Error code: 0xc0000428

You'll need to use recovery tools. if you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."
___

Additionally, when booting from CSM mode and putting my USB on top of the boot hierarchy, I get a windows logo (never reached this screen before) which after about 10 seconds, blinks once, and at this point my actual USB device stops flashing, indicating that its not being read from the PC and obviously it gets stuck on this screen indefinitely. I don't know if that info is useful but I thought I'd mention just in case.

· System Manufacturer: Custom PC
· Exact model number: N/A
· OS - Windows 10 - I dont know how to locate version/build number without accessing windows
· x64 (64-bit)
· What was original installed OS on system? Blank SSD
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? I installed from a bootable USB, unlicensed
· Age of the computer: less than 2 months
· Age of OS installation: 2 months, have never re-installed

· Laptop or Desktop computer? Desktop
· CPU - i5 10600k
· Video Card - Asus Dual OC 3060ti
If Desktop please also include:
· MotherBoard - MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
· Power Supply - Corsair RM650x

List of things I have tried so far:
  • Switched the RAM sticks
  • Removed the SSD and tried to boot from USB only
-Recreated a bootable USB using Rufus - I tested both USBs on my brothers PC and they work just fine (so the USB isnt the problem)
-Tried both CSM and UEFI mode when booting
-Tried to boot into safe mode by interrupting boot process 3 times in a row 0 no luck; I cant access safe mode
-Disabled fast boot and enabled legacy boot
- Disabled XMP and CPU overclocking

I'm honestly at a loss here... I really don't wanna take my PC to a repair shop as they are known to try and get as much money as possible off their clients. Any suggestions?
In the worst case scenario, I would be okay with wiping my drive completely and losing all my files - since the PC is new I don't have much that I care about on it.

EDIT: After fiddling around with some settings, i was able to get to a blue screen with error code 0xc0000001.

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
An Unexpected error has occured. Error code 0xc0000001
You'll need to use recovery tools .... etc etc.

Press ENTER to try again
Press F8 for startup settings

I was able to access the startup settings for the first time, however every single option takes me back to the first Blue Screen, with the same error message!

Hello.

It seems like you have an unstable system. I doubt that it is an issue with the actual installation of Win10, but instead a hardware issue. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? This sometimes fixes things. Additionally, you should attempt a BIOS update. If you do not know how, there are many helpful guides online.

Once you have completed these steps, and if it still does not boot, I would recommend taking all of your RAM sticks out except for one. Leaving a single RAM stick in sometimes fixes it, and it has worked before for my PC. Another thing to do would be to check all cable and hardware connections. While it seems tedious, I have had countless times when my PC has not booted into OS due to a cable that had come undone.

I hope these help and good luck

Solution
Jun 10, 2020
Hello.

It seems like you have an unstable system. I doubt that it is an issue with the actual installation of Win10, but instead a hardware issue. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? This sometimes fixes things. Additionally, you should attempt a BIOS update. If you do not know how, there are many helpful guides online.

Once you have completed these steps, and if it still does not boot, I would recommend taking all of your RAM sticks out except for one. Leaving a single RAM stick in sometimes fixes it, and it has worked before for my PC. Another thing to do would be to check all cable and hardware connections. While it seems tedious, I have had countless times when my PC has not booted into OS due to a cable that had come undone.

Hi Mate,
Firstly, I have not tried clearing CMOS, and yes I have updated the BIOS, it didn't change anything.

I tried with both RAM sticks in different slots, it still didn't work and I will try now with only one RAM stick. May I add that I fiddled around with some settings (turned on CSM and disabled all boot devices except for the bootable USB stick). After showing the windows logo, it boots into this blue screen that gives me various options, including to repair my system, restore to an earlier system state etc. However, none of the options work, except the CMD prompt. I will check now the cabling. Thank you again.

Jun 10, 2020
Hello.

Holy MOLY. I just tried with one RAM stick. Didn't work. So I put both back in, and I push in all the cables/conections connected to the front of my motherboard. I open the PC, and it gives me two options (because it detected a RAM change) F1 to enter setup and F2 to restore last known values and continue. i hit F2 and BOOM. It booted straight to windows.... Thank you SO much I have spent the past 3-4 days trying to fix it, I honestly was so close to taking it to a repair shop... thank you