Question BSOD System Service - Think usbehci.sys is culprit.

Jun 12, 2019
Okay first off I have never posted on tech help forums before! So I am not sure the protocol exactly but I think I got it covered. I like to give a lot of extra information because I don't know what might be useful and what might not.

So roughly 3 weeks ago I got up to take a shower, came back and found my system "fuzzy", after much tinkering with display drivers, it was determined that my old gtx760 had taken a long walk off a short cliff.
I replaced this with a gtx 1660 ti. Display back to normal, everything almost back to normal.

I am getting random bluescreens, something randomly 4 hours between then 48 hours between, prob 5-6 per week if I had to average it. It's been 36 since the previous one before this morning.
Also these blue screens can happen when I am not at the computer (likely because I work / sleep), but also when I am doing something. More frequently than not they will happen when I am afk though.

Side Issues. (Google Chromes DRM Widevine doesn't like this card / this card's latest drivers don't create minidumps). So after solving both of these issues. I was finally able to get a minidump.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82uwwihvsn1jyb5/061219-6396-01.dmp?dl=0

This seems to be pointing at a usb driver?

*of note, my card has a built in usb driver that is disabled. This is because it is for usb C and windows 7 doesn't have usb C drivers. So I have disabled it in the device manager.

Things I have tried.

3 Nights of 8 Pass Memtest.
Multiple sfcscannnow.
Multiple chkdsk /f.
Heat Monitoring Logging (No spikes right before bsod).
GPU Monitoring Logging (No spikes right before bsod).
Downloaded the latest chipset, bios, usbdrivers, etc. (Asus Z87-A Motherboard).
Finally I have reinstalled windows, from scratch, after formatting my drive, 2 times now, for a total of 3 versions, (Original, install 1, install2).

What are the next steps? Unplugging my usb mouse and keyboard while I afk and sleep to see if it happens?
I am thinking about checking inside my case to make sure all my usb wires are properly attached!

Thanks in advance!
-Mirax-

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums Mirax!

I have ran a debug on your dmp file - you can view the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/vXR3.html

BugCheck 3B, {c0000017, fffff80002c76b18, fffff8800c897fd0, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for gdrv2.sys
GetUlongPtrFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002eb5300
Probably caused by : gdrv2.sys ( gdrv2+73c0 )

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)

An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000017, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff80002c76b18, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff8800c897fd0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the
bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged
code to privileged code.
The stop code indicates that executing code had an exception and the thread that was below it, is
a system thread.

At what point do you believe this is pointing to a USB driver? Initially it is pointing towards your GIGABYTE Tools (motherboard and graphics cards) driver - so I would update this first. However it does appear to be a recent install, so it may be the latest driver causing an issue, in which case a rollback may be needed.

@Colif will be able to advise also.

Third party modules that were loaded at the time are in the report and some observations:

• The debug initially points to youre gdrv2.sys driver, and this is also present in the kernel stack leading to the crash. This is a Gigabye MB and graphics driver.
  • I could not gather BIOS or system information from the dump file, so you may want to verify your current BIOS version and update to the latest fully released version if one is available.
  • This would also mean your Intel Management Engine Interface driver should also be updated as this should match your BIOS.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Personally I have tested BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed - and I find that in most cases it does not point to the correct cause. They certainly help, but don't touch the capabilities of a full debug.

Most blue screens are usually third party drivers, but the nature of how these errors occur is that the faulty driver causes another system process in windows to fault, making systems like Whocrashed and BlueScreenView blame the microsoft service, when it isn't really the root cause - unless it's a hardware related issue. A full debug allows you to dig into all the modules loaded and the events leading up to the crash as well as far far more.

I would go by the initial debug i have posted and also see if anyone else adds their thoughts also.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I ran the dumps and as PC Tailor said above, it's a 3B bugcheck. The driver is indeed gdrv2.sys and the process named here is AORUS.exe. The driver - gdrv2.sys - was installed/updated on Mon Feb 25 2019, 10:05:46. I too would suggest update the driver if available.

I think that's from the Gigabyte software suite, utilities that come with the motherboard or graphics cards DVD. I would also like to add that, I have debugged many BSODs that were caused by Gigabyte utilities that come with the motherboards or GPUs (especially the mobo ones). I have debugged BSODs caused by Gigabyte tools on various architectures from Z87 onward.

You didn't provide full system specs and I saw you said you have an Asus Z87-A motherboard so I assume that Gigabyte driver is for you graphics card?

I wouls as PC Tailor noted suggest wait for input from others like Colif, but I would say a starting point would be removing whatever application that's using that gdrv2.sys driver.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Jun 12, 2019
Got it, so basically if I am understanding correctly. And bare with me, because I only have a base level concept of this.

Nvidia puts out card/drivers. A 3rd party manufacturer takes card and does their own modifications to it. They overclock it and the like. Then they bundle their own software with the card. As I only have the gigabyte video card, and their tools installed, we know its not the MB part of your analysis.

So, should I uninstall their software? This should uninstall the gdrv2.sys driver as well yes?

And because I am very confused, is that software not required in some capacity to keep my graphics card running? Or is there other 3rd party tools I can install to keep it going?

Colif

Win 11 Master
who crashed normally blames ntoskrnl which is the kernel. It is what crashed but 99% of the time something else is to blame. I used to try to use it to help people and its not as good as reading dump files

What GTX 1660 TI is it? I just read on Nvidia site that the model didn't have USB C as I had helped someone else with a ghost USB C controller error (its on chipset, whether card has a USB slot or not)

USBEHCI.sys is the USB 2 driver, i don't think its related to the GPU? what USB devices do you have?

Jun 12, 2019
Just mouse and keyboard for USB devices currently. And yah I don't actually have a USBC, its a ghost error like you said.

I have uninstalled the ASORUS tools , but the driver persists, did this driver come with the tools, or with the card itself somehow and should I then get rid of it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Autoruns (suggested above) will stop it running at startup but if any application needs it later, it can be started. So use autoruns to stop it and see if it resolves it.

do mouse/kb have own drivers or just use defaults? the USB driver above is built into windows, so it might be other software conflicting with it.

Jun 12, 2019
For now I have uninstalled the tools and will let it sit for a few days and see if I get any bsods.
The keyboard and mouse are default drivers, nothing fancy.

Thanks everyone for your assistance, I will update to let you know if the problem has resolved itself!