[SOLVED] BSOD - system_thread_exception_not_handled

Mar 25, 2019
Currently experiencing BSOD with the message SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on a self-built desktop PC.

Current PC Specs:
Ryzen 1600 stock speed
MSI B450M PRO-VDH on latest BIOS (M.80)
Radeon RX580 on lastest Adrenaline drivers
2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666
256 GB M.2 SSD
1TB Hybrid drive
500GB 7200 rpm HDD

These crashes started happening maybe a months worth of Windows updates back, I was in the insider program but and thought unstable builds of Windows was causing it so I un-enrolled and rolled back to the last stable build at the time, not sure what number. As of the present moment I'm on the latest 1903 update that came out on 8/14. i'm getting these crashes maybe 1-2 times a day doing various activities with no clear activity causing more crashes than others. I did have the CPU OC'd up to 3.7 GHz but the crashes still persist even after the OC was reset after BIOS update.

Link to minidump:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aZWSn6nWY59pwZBAj9Qap5GPeK6eP6Wp

If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative.

Solution
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/Hsxq.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 1000007E
Probably caused by : envirtahci.sys ( envirtahci+16d1c )

Bugcheck Description:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
"This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the following:
0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT indicates an unaligned data reference was encountered.
0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.
0xC0000005...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/Hsxq.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 1000007E
Probably caused by : envirtahci.sys ( envirtahci+16d1c )

Bugcheck Description:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
"This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the following:
0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT indicates an unaligned data reference was encountered.
0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.
0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.
Ntstatus.h file that is located in the inc directory of the MWDK contains all references"

About your bugcheck:
This is typically driver based and therefore you should reference the third party modules loaded to check which ones may be misbehaving.

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.

Based on the dump file, this crash was likely caused by envirtahci.sys which is an AMD virtual storage driver. I recommend you disable this using Autoruns and seeing if the problem persists first.

If this does not work, we can move onto other areas.

Solution
Mar 25, 2019
Downloaded and ran Autoruns, found the driver. How does one go about disabling it through the program? I am not seeing any options through the program or pulling up the properties of the file?

Mar 25, 2019
So disabling the driver removes all my other drives besides my system drive. The driver is part of the StoreMI program that AMD has for drive management. Rolled back the system to get drive accesses back. Did some digging, apparently StoreMI is playing very badly with the Xbox Game Service which is currently needed for Xbox PC Pass Beta, which is something I have also installed on my computer. I guess the developer for StoreMI knows about the problem and a patch is "coming". So good job finding the problem, too bad I can't really solve it without getting rid a ton of games in a service I'm paying for. Thanks for the assist regardless.

Reactions: PC Tailor