[SOLVED] BSOD "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck."

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
The crash happened while I was watching videos on YouTube. This was shortly after doing some compressed air cleaning; however, based on information from the event viewer and WhoCrashed, I do not believe the issue was hardware related. This has only happened once so far, but I wanted to get advice to see if this is indicative of a bigger problem.

According to the event viewer: "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffff68ef4bff8c0, 0xfffff68ef4bff818, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: ee7c9ecd-07dd-4429-a374-52d57bc8f2e9."

From WhoCrashed:

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 7/18/2021 5:33:46 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071821-5156-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F6F20)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF68EF4BFF8C0, 0xFFFFF68EF4BFF818, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/18/2021 5:33:46 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: win32kfull.sys (win32kfull+0x3192C)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF68EF4BFF8C0, 0xFFFFF68EF4BFF818, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32kfull.sys
description: Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Solution
In case it happens again.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

both parts listed are parts...

Colif

Win 11 Master
In case it happens again.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

both parts listed are parts of windows.

its possible its the GPU drivers. Try running DDU in safe mode and reinstall the drivers.

Solution

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
No more BSODs so far; however, uninstalling the GPU drivers with DDU followed by a re-installation did fix a separate issue I had with the Nvidia control panel. I'm assuming both issues were caused by bad GPU drivers.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
So I recently had another crash that I believe is related to the gpu drivers once again. I didn't want to post in a new thread since it's a similar problem.

Here's the OneDrive link to the Minidump zip file

Here's the report from Who Crashed?:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081221-5218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x3AD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFF8787080BF920, 0xFFFFB90F46528BB0)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
description: Watchdog Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/nvu2czto/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:081221-5218-01.dmp (Aug 12 2021 - 17:36:11)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Probably caused by:dxgmms2.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Those 2 reports tell me what it is without looking at dumps
  1. watchdog.sys is part of the NVIDIA driver package
  2. Video Scheduler Internal Errors are generally only GPU cards
  3. dxgmms2.sys = DirectX. 99% of the times I see this its a GPU driver error.
So I am glad when I open conversion to see number 1 was a good guess. Dump text shows its likely GPU drivers.

try running DDU again, up to you if you get newer drivers as some from 10th Aug released recently, OR run windows update after safe mode and allow windows to find Nvidia drivers it has on file

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
Those 2 reports tell me what it is without looking at dumps
  1. watchdog.sys is part of the NVIDIA driver package
  2. Video Scheduler Internal Errors are generally only GPU cards
  3. dxgmms2.sys = DirectX. 99% of the times I see this its a GPU driver error.
So I am glad when I open conversion to see number 1 was a good guess. Dump text shows its likely GPU drivers.

try running DDU again, up to you if you get newer drivers as some from 10th Aug released recently, OR run windows update after safe mode and allow windows to find Nvidia drivers it has on file
Thanks for the advice. I ran DDU again and installed the most recent drivers from Nvidia's site. Hopefully this fixes the issue for the time being.

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Did this fix your issue? Im running into the same exact problems.
Cause By Driver
watchdog.sys

dxgmms2.sys dxgmms2.sys+28ae1 fffff8044b760000 fffff8044b841000 0x000e1000 0x6d8411e5 3/22/2028 5:04:37 PM Microsoft® Windows® Operating System DirectX Graphics MMS 10.0.19041.1151 (WinBuild.160101.0800) Microsoft Corporation C:\windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys

watchdog.sys watchdog.sys+3ad0 fffff8044af80000 fffff8044af98000 0x00018000 0xf13839ab 3/30/2098 12:57:15 AM Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Watchdog Driver 10.0.19041.868 (WinBuild.160101.0800) Microsoft Corporation C:\windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys

both are red shaded

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
Did this fix your issue? Im running into the same exact problems.
Cause By Driver
watchdog.sys
Hard to say at this point. The first time I used DDU everything seemed okay, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a similar problem a few weeks later. As of now, almost everything seems to be okay. "System" in task manager sometimes has high CPU utilization , which might be driver related based on some research I've done. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing .

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Hard to say at this point. The first time I used DDU everything seemed okay, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a similar problem a few weeks later. As of now, almost everything seems to be okay. "System" in task manager sometimes has high CPU utilization , which might be driver related based on some research I've done. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing .
Just used DDU and did sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow
"
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Did those 2 things, I'll see if it no longer happens.