Question BSOD then successful boot then crash and can’t detect boot drive. (Second drive is detected though)

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Hello, I come to you all in a time of need. Upon booting up my computer, I received a dreaded message: “reboot and select proper boot device”.

My setup is windows installed on an SSD, my C drive. And I have an HDD as my D.

In the Bios, I can see that it detects the D drive, but not the C. It looks like it’s trying to boot from D since it doesn’t see C which makes sense as to why it won’t boot.

Some background info that might be relevant. A week ago, I uninstalled Macrium reflect which I had used for some partitioning. I didn’t need it anymore So I uninstalled, hopefully that didn’t affect it. In the last couple days, I had two BSOD, one was Unexpected Storage Event” I think and I can’t remember the other one.

So the question becomes, what can I do here? I’ve tried unplugging and replugging the SATA cables but to no avail.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Have you tried switching the SATA power and data cables on your drives?
Have you tried switching the SATA ports your SSD is plugged into?
Can you list the motherboard and other parts in your computer?
Yes, I did try that. Same problem. Not sure if this matters, but upon switching SATA ports, with just the SSD plugged in, it wouldn’t power on until I switched back the original port.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
So to be clear, is this an SSD you have been using for some time and it just stopped working, or is this a new SSD that has never worked properly for you?
I originally had only the HDD which had my OS on it. I cloned it to the SSD and was using the SSD successfully for almost two years as my boot drive.

Then seemingly out of nowhere, my computer started freezing periodically, I got two BSOD, and then it fully failed.

I originally had only the HDD which had my OS on it. I cloned it to the SSD and was using the SSD successfully for almost two years as my boot drive.

Then seemingly out of nowhere, my computer started freezing periodically, I got two BSOD, and then it fully failed.
Although i have never tried it myself, one fix you can try is to "power cycle" the SSD.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Although i have never tried it myself, one fix you can try is to "power cycle" the SSD.

From the article you linked: “Sometimes they’re caught off guard by a sudden power loss and don’t have time to properly discharge, or shut down, according to their firmware protocol. It’s during this stage where, depending on that lovely (or not) firmware protocol, your drive lives or dies. “
This might have been what happened! My computer froze and powered down suddenly so that might be why. I’m awaiting a response from the manufacturer before I do any major action, but the power cycling sounds like something worth trying.

Thank you, I’ll try after work and report back.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Sad news. Power cycling it didn’t work. The manufacturer is able to send me a new one for free. Not sure if there’s anything else I can try unfortunately.