[SOLVED] BSOD three or four times daily.

Dec 5, 2019
So in the past few weeks i have been getting a BSOD daily. They happen are various times. Sometimes as soon as my computer logs in other times while im gaming. Sometimes its completely random. I downloaded bluescreenviewer and it seems to be something to do with ntoskrnl.exe. I have ran the memory diagnostic tool, used sfc /scannow, checked my drivers using dell's support assist program. I am at my wits end.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DyxK-pv1gLHbM8NZ6ijJs9O29e7m_CLU is the link to the dump file if that helps.

Solution
yeah another reason i figured that may be the case is because since posting that last dump file i have formatted both of my drives and performed a clean install of windows, redownloaded all my drivers, and installed a few games back to the SATA. Everything was okay for a little while then the blue screens started showing up again. Thats when i used Dell Support assist to run hard ware test and thats when i seen the Linear Read Test failure. The only other thing i haven't tried was opening up the lap top and cleaning it, as im nervous when it comes to do that I have had this lap top for 2 years and never opening the case.
If a complete clean install didn't resolve the issue, then the blue screens reoccured, you're probably...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am looking into the dump file now.
In the meantime, could you please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
It may be worth seeing if the issue still persists in safe mode, which may help indicate if it's a driver, OS corruption, or hardware.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here:

https://pste.eu/p/x9Wq.html (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Summary of findings:
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
This is often driver or core OS based, however can be indicative of hardware faults. You should reference the third party modules loaded to check which ones may be misbehaving.
- Consider using the event log to see if there are errors that occur leading up to this stop code.

If new device drivers or system services have been added recently, try removing or updating them, update all other drivers and potentially BIOS.
Run SFC/ Scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in an elevated command prompt."

Some things to consider:
- There would appear to be a lot of drivers that could potentially be out of date:

rzendpt.sys05/08/2016RazerRazer RzEndPt driver
rzudd.sys05/08/2016RazerRazer Rzudd Engine Driver
rzmpos.sys05/08/2016RazerRazer RzMPos driver

e2xw10x64.sys20/09/2018KillerKiller Ethernet Controller

KfeCo10X64.sys20/11/2018Rivet Networks, LLC.Rivet Networks Suite Driver

I would review the third party modules tab and see if there are updates available to any of the drivers shown. NOT using a driver updater app.
I can also see you have various internet drivers, are you using a wireless card also?
Have you recently added any hardware / peripheral devices?

@Colif might also be able to help on this one whilst I'm off for the night!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019
not sure if this is what you mean but it was under the main page of system information.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-1ETJDOL
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware 17 R4
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0778
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware 1.8.0, 5/28/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Alienware
BaseBoard Product Alienware 17 R4
BaseBoard Version A00
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
User Name DESKTOP-1ETJDOL\rob-r
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.96 GB
Total Virtual Memory 19.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.78 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Dec 5, 2019
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here:

https://pste.eu/p/x9Wq.html (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Summary of findings:

Some things to consider:

- There would appear to be a lot of drivers that could potentially be out of date:

rzendpt.sys05/08/2016RazerRazer RzEndPt driver
rzudd.sys05/08/2016RazerRazer Rzudd Engine Driver
rzmpos.sys05/08/2016RazerRazer RzMPos driver

e2xw10x64.sys20/09/2018KillerKiller Ethernet Controller

KfeCo10X64.sys20/11/2018Rivet Networks, LLC.Rivet Networks Suite Driver

I would review the third party modules tab and see if there are updates available to any of the drivers shown. NOT using a driver updater app.
I can also see you have various internet drivers, are you using a wireless card also?
Have you recently added any hardware / peripheral devices?

@Colif might also be able to help on this one whilst I'm off for the night!

I haven't added any hard ware but when i am at home i connect a keyboard and mouse both are razer brand. Then problem with razer seems they want you to use the synapse app but can't figure out how to directly download any of their drivers. I also use a Corsair Void Pro headset.

Not sure about the wireless card. I have a killer wireless wifi adapter build in that i use to connect to wifi.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019
So i went and checked the drivers that was mentioned earlier. I can't really find anything on drivers for razer other than synapse. So i downloaded Razer Synapse 3 was using 2 to see if that helped. The other drivers rivet and killer had to do with the same thing from what i can tell. So i downloaded the drivers for killer from their website. After all that everything seemed fine until i started to play a game. then i got another BSOD but this time a different stop code but again it says it is due to ntoskrnl.exe

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DyxK-pv1gLHbM8NZ6ijJs9O29e7m_CLU

Dec 5, 2019
So i have ran Dell Support assist and it keeps coming back with a linear read test failure on my SATA hard drive and recommends replacing it. Could this be the cause of my recent blue screens. It seems logical as they usually only happen when im using a program that is installed on that drive. My SSD is only 128 gigs and windows uses a good bit of that so i don't have enough room on it to try installing a game on it to see if it happens.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So i have ran Dell Support assist and it keeps coming back with a linear read test failure on my SATA hard drive and recommends replacing it. Could this be the cause of my recent blue screens. It seems logical as they usually only happen when im using a program that is installed on that drive. My SSD is only 128 gigs and windows uses a good bit of that so i don't have enough room on it to try installing a game on it to see if it happens.
Apologies I've been away and am only just looking at the latest dump file.
If you have had faults on the HDD, it can very easily be the cause of your blue screens. I would backup and replace.

Dec 5, 2019
yeah another reason i figured that may be the case is because since posting that last dump file i have formatted both of my drives and performed a clean install of windows, redownloaded all my drivers, and installed a few games back to the SATA. Everything was okay for a little while then the blue screens started showing up again. Thats when i used Dell Support assist to run hard ware test and thats when i seen the Linear Read Test failure. The only other thing i haven't tried was opening up the lap top and cleaning it, as im nervous when it comes to do that I have had this lap top for 2 years and never opening the case.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If a complete clean install didn't resolve the issue, then the blue screens reoccured, you're probably looking at hardware, if your HDD test showed errors, then that is likely the cause, or at least a contributor.
The test i tend to recommend for storage drives is covered here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics-sea-tools-for-dos-ssd-test.4072/

Solution