[SOLVED] BSOD three times in two days

Nov 14, 2019
Hello,

I need help with an issue of BSOD's which out of nowhere started occurring on my HP dv7 9 year old laptop. I have some hardware and software computer experience but for what is causing BSOD's and how to resolve them, I am a nuub.

Summary of the situation: This old 2011 laptop of mine has served me well over the years from basic things to gaming. Over the past couple months it would shut off here and there due to overheating because i play newer games on a lower resolution with an occasional utter freeze where only way out is to hold down the power button until it turns off. Than two days ago, while playing online TETRIS i received an error that either a driver or windows recovered from a unexpected crash (sorry i don't remember exactly what it said), followed by a BSOD mentioning the kernel. Then the computer froze, i did not restart on its own at all, so i turned it off manually. When it came back on, I was offered the safe mode or regular option screen. Going regular, while booting another BSOD occurred by just a quick flash. Computer froze again, and yet again it did not want to restart on its own so I manually turned it off using the power button. Reading some forums beforehand this time around i started it in safe mode with networking. It worked like a charm without any crashes while using it for a day. Following advice i found on forums I went through the process of turning off & on services and startup programs to find which program might be causing the problem. With some many boots and restarts after the whole process not a single one caused another BSOD crash. So i though it was just glitch from the previous overheating's. Today while the laptop was functioning a little slow but normally in normal mode i got another BSOD. This time around a mini-dump file was recorded. (For the two previous BSOD's no dump files were recorded). Using the program blue screen viewer it stated that this recorded BSOD was caused by SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED iaStorA.sys.

I also physically checked the ram and HDD's all are properly connected and seem in good functioning condition, though the main HDD (on which the OS is installed) was slightly warmer than the other HDD where mostly personal date is stored (games, movies, pics, documents etc...)

On a side note: before these recent BSOD's, had one about four years ago only once reference kernel

System information:

HP dv7 notebook PC
Intel Core i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Ram: 6 GB
Switchable graphics card: ATI mobility radeon HD 5470 & Intel graphics card HD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Antivirus: Avira free version
Two hard drives: main Toshiba 250 GB (old as the laptop) and secondary WD 1 TB (added 2 years ago)

Blue screen viewer report:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: iaStor.sys

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x1000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff880012ceb9b, 0xfffff8800393f7f8,
0xfffff8800393f050)

==================================================
Dump File : 111419-38797-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/14/2019 7:16:55 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffffc0000005 Parameter 2 : fffff880012ceb9b
Parameter 3 : fffff8800393f7f8 Parameter 4 : fffff8800393f050
Caused By Driver : iaStor.sys
Caused By Address : iaStor.sys+9c5e
File Description :
Product Name :