BSOD trying to install Vista from disk

MHBalf

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Hi guys.

I've just fitted a replacement mobo as i was pretty sure the last one was on its way out. I went for a Biostar GF7100-M7S (from a Biostar G31 board) thinking that it appears fairly similar to the previous board so I shouldnt have many problems transferring everything across.

However, when booting up windows vista refuses to start. No BSOD here, it just reboots itself before it finishes loading even in safe mode. I half expected this so had the Vista CD ready.

It works up until the loading files bar fills up, then crash to blue screen with Error 0x0000007E usually no message, occasionally IRQ-not-less-or-equal.

Ive tried running on a single 2gb RAM as well as a pair. I've tried disconnecting the SATA drive and letting vista disk boot up (just to see if it gets any further) but it still crashes at the same point (unfortunately not got another HDD to try).
I'm currently running onboard VGA graphics, only USB socket in use in my keyboard.Processor is Intel Q8400.

As I cant get into windows, or reach any kind of command prompt im struggling to find a solution. Any ideas anyone?

Many Thanks

Try updating the BIOS. That motherboard is supported under Vista so should not be a driver issue, but it ma be. If you don't care if you lose all files, delete all the partitions on the hard drive, install clean that way. Don't know if you tried that or not. The thing here is that you though the other motherboard had issues, maybe it's not the motherboard but RAM or the hard dive? If you have a different video card to try, do that. The 7E error looks to come from a video driver issue often.