[SOLVED] BSOD trying to install Windows XP ?

P3C

Aug 23, 2021
My laptop was having problems with the OS, so i tried to reinstall it.

But when i used to rufus to extract the iso to the pendrive, and tried booting off of it, it showed a BSOD.

I then searched about it and found out i need to change the Hard drive option to IDE. I couldnt find that option in the BIOS so i tried searching for drivers of AHCI drives. I have seen videos of ppl slipstreaming drivers into windows XP, but when i did it, the bsod will still come up. How will i fix this?

My laptop specs
Intel Core 2 duo T66600
3GB ddr2 ram
320 gb hdd
has a dvd rw bay

Solution
are they both on the same hdd? if so, I would check health of the drive while you using 7. The boot time could mean drive needs retirement before it stops completely

But when i used to rufus to extract the iso to the pendrive, and tried booting off of it, it showed a BSOD.

I then searched about it and found out i need to change the Hard drive option to IDE. I couldnt find that option in the BIOS so i tried searching for drivers of AHCI drives. I have seen videos of ppl slipstreaming drivers into windows XP, but when i did it, the bsod will still come up. How will i fix this?

My laptop specs
Intel Core 2 duo T66600
3GB ddr2 ram
320 gb hdd
has a dvd rw bay
ide and ahci wont be much diffference for that OS, ofc there is like NCQ (Native Command Queuing) but do you need that features? Personally i would just set the mobo to IDE and boot it on Legacy only (no UEFI), so rufus it at MBR and Bios (no UEFI non CSM).

P3C

Aug 23, 2021
ide and ahci wont be much diffference for that OS, ofc there is like NCQ (Native Command Queuing) but do you need that features? Personally i would just set the mobo to IDE and boot it on Legacy only (no UEFI), so rufus it at MBR and Bios (no UEFI non CSM).

My laptop has no AHCI or IDE options, and its already at MBR partition

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

a lot of the time I see BSOD installing windows it can be ram. Worth a try

P3C

Aug 23, 2021
Could Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

a lot of the time I see BSOD installing windows it can be ram. Worth a try

Thanks for the suggestion, i have done it before, and did it again, two times, the last time after reseating the ram, but there was still no ram error
(all of the tests were 0 in errors)

|

P3C

Aug 23, 2021
Would be helpful if there was a solution, but for now i am just using windows 7 on the laptop since i had to do some of my work. although some apps dont work, and windows 7 takes 5 minutes to boot for some reason.

Sep 4, 2021

My laptop specs
Intel Core 2 duo T66600
3GB ddr2 ram
320 gb hdd
has a dvd rw bay
Try to use Ultra ISO software instead of Rufus to make a Windows Potable USB