Question BSOD under very weird circumstances ?

Jul 17, 2022
hey
I am posting here after i was unsuccessful on the Microsoft Forums.
My problem is very strange, let me break it down for you guys. So, my pc will BSOD with varying error codes if 2 of the following things happen:
  1. I let it idle after it has been put under load, such as playing a game
  2. It is idle by itself and the PC has just booted within 30mins

SPECS
RYZEN 3 3100 (STOCK)
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
RX 580 XFX (STOCK)
1 STICK 8GB CORSAIR RAM 2400MHZ (OLD RAM WAS FAULTY, THIS IS WORSE RAM BUT MEMTEST PASS)

So far I have:
Ran memtest all night, 0 errors
Swapped RAM
Reconnected all motherboard cables
Ran countless sfc scans and DISM scans
Slightly increased SOC and VDDCR voltage (read this on other forums as fixing this type of issue)
Changed power plans etc

So far I have found 1 fix and it is not sustainable, that fix seems to be to lock the CPU's HZ to base clock, by disabling turbo boost.
As I am an avid gamer this is not acceptable as I need the extra performance, and it the long run the CPU should be able to boost as its meant to do that normally.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
What Power supply do you have? Make/model?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: Rdslw

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
i only asked as some PSU don't work well with how ryzen CPU behave at idle. Generally speaking default state of a core is asleep, so if CPU is asked to run a process, Ryzen CPU will boost Core to whatever speed it needs to be to run process, and after, it will rush back to idle again. The constant up/down can play havoc with PSU as it means the power draw is constantly changing

I am not sure about that series.

I will ask a friend to check the dumps, he should be asleep right now.

gardenman

Distinguished
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/b4w3agk2/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:071422-6062-01.dmp (Jul 14 2022 - 10:10:20)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:071422-5359-01.dmp (Jul 14 2022 - 10:14:27)
Bugcheck:INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM (96)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

File information:071222-6000-01.dmp (Jul 12 2022 - 02:51:51)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: PAD.Console.Host)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:071222-5562-01.dmp (Jul 12 2022 - 04:02:18)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:071122-7203-01.dmp (Jul 11 2022 - 13:51:49)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-A320M-K/
You recently updated the BIOS. The ASUS site is too slow for me to determine if 6042 is the latest or not.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Invalid work queue item is a new BSOD for me. There are over 300 codes but I only normally see about 10 of them.
Its victim tells me its GPU drivers to blame, most probably
4 of the 5 appear to be GPU drivers

Try running DDU in safe mode, remove AMD GPU drivers, boot back into windows again and get latest drivers from AMD

your lan drivers have newer versions
download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
Newer Audio drivers on the website for motherboard - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_Download/

I would recommend standard actions that are staple of solving issues like that. A lot of them might be already solved by BIOS updates or drivers.
as it seems to be some Power saving feature, MAYBE related to sleep (30 min seems sus for me) I would start with BIOS update, check settings on windows screensaver and sleep functions, I assume AMD driver in some P state goes nuts when windows call sleep on it.
Maybe try to hibernate and sleep functions manually, to see if it will BSOD as well.
I dont recommend any power level tweaking when you deal with this kind of issue, you might cause worse one, and keep tracing the same problem with 2 different roots now.
Start with BIOS update (and reset to default bios setting AFTER update), purge GPU driver and install fresh latest one. Check Windows updates and any driver updates that you can.

if that does not help, I would make a ubuntu pendrive and try to use that for a day, see if issue is visible on linux as well (will separate OS/driver issue from Hardware/BIOS issue)
if it's only on windows, you can try REPAIR function. A lot of time this kind of error is just windows failing update, rolling back, and installing again over failed update, leaving like a single broken file in the OS.

as you said you had faulty ram, you can try other sockets, MAYBE something is fried in socket, not ramstick you replaced.
if you still have old ramstick, give it a through search if you can see any burn marks, or it smells like burned plastic, if you see a burned connection trace, it might be MOBO have problems, not ramsticks. This is what you are tring to find.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022
thanks for all the help
i did everything u guys said and i still bsod, but i bsod after i changed the cpu minimum state to 5% in the power settings, because i realised i was at 99% minimum and the pc was stable, so i tested to see if the 5% causes the bsod, and low and behold, it does
so what now? RMA cpu? RMA motherborad? get new PSU?
its obviously a power issue but surely the CPU cant be at fault here?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
it could be the PSU only as its only bronze rated and one of their budget friendly models.
If PC only stable at 100% power, the PSU is where I would start.

1. I let it idle after it has been put under load, such as playing a game
  2. It is idle by itself and the PC has just booted within 30mins
i only asked as some PSU don't work well with how ryzen CPU behave at idle. Generally speaking default state of a core is asleep, so if CPU is asked to run a process, Ryzen CPU will boost Core to whatever speed it needs to be to run process, and after, it will rush back to idle again. The constant up/down can play havoc with PSU as it means the power draw is constantly changing
I don't like suggesting PSU as I have been wrong before but its falling over at idle and only running if CPU has full power are probably tied together. If CPU has a constant stream of power, it works fine.

Jul 17, 2022
Thanks for the insight.
The only reason why I don't think it's PSU is because when under full load, the PSU can supply a good supply of power to my hungry rx580 for hours on end, with no crash. I am getting a replacement board tomorrow which I've needed for a while anyway as my current board limits upgrade options, so if that doesn't fix it, my eye is on the PSU and cpu but most likely the PSU

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
100% load doesn't cause the same conditions as idle, where CPU can be tasked with a process that wakes a core from sleep and boosts it to the required speed to carry out task and then rush to idle again, the voltage on my 3600xt is constantly changing at idle. it moves from 1.382V to 1.425V depending on what I am doing

So if PSU can't handle the constant voltage changes, it could cause the BSOD. Everything in system relies on reliable power.

Jul 17, 2022
PC being weird again
I disabled turbo boost so the CPU was locked at its base frequency (never BSOD like this before), and it just crashed while like this. I think this means I shouldnt use the pc untill i can swap out components because now i cant get it stable in any config.
Is it worth uploading dump?

Jul 17, 2022
They couldn't find anything was wrong.
They changed out the motherboard and the issue persisted.
They've told me to get the CPU RMA'd, which I am going to do now
My eyes are now on the power supply too though as it could just be bad at low power

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Did I suggest updating chipset drivers?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/a320
although you could have them now since newest AMD driver you have is from June.
really, you only have 2 drivers from realtek and 12 from AMD so if it was software, it can only be so many items.

So you reinstalled the Display Drivers?

i have doubts . i would be more inclined to replace PSU before RMA CPU.

shame they didn't swap PSU to test that direction.

Jul 17, 2022
Did I suggest updating chipset drivers?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/a320
although you could have them now since newest AMD driver you have is from June.
really, you only have 2 drivers from realtek and 12 from AMD so if it was software, it can only be so many items.

So you reinstalled the Display Drivers?

i have doubts . i would be more inclined to replace PSU before RMA CPU.

shame they didn't swap PSU to test that direction.
I have to take it back another day for the PSU to be tested, so I'll be doing that.
Thanks for the help

Jul 17, 2022
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I have a question for you guys
Is it possible that over time (a year and a half) a new CPU could become unstable under stock settings?
I have finally found the cause of my BSOD's that have been here for about 7 months, its the CPU.
But if i up the Vcore voltage by a tiny bit (like 36mV), the BSOD goes away, is this "normal" behaviour for a CPU, or is it a faulty cpu.
thanks

ASK THE COMMUNITY