BSOD using both RAM sticks (fine with only 1)

jbastow

Honorable
Feb 3, 2016
Hi

Recently put together my first Intel build PC, and have been getting various BSOD errors when booting up my computer. Originally i thought the problem was driver related, but having tried everything I could possibly think of, i moved onto the hardware.

I removed one of the RAM modules from its slot, and it seems like the PC boots up with no problems like this.
I then tried the other RAM module on its own, and the system booted up fine too.
Then I tried using both modules but in a different configuration, but the problem persisted.
So it seems like i am only getting BSOD when both modules are inserted..

I ram memtest86 last night for a few hours when both modules were inserted, and did not get any errors, so am now running again for each module separately. Windows Memory Diagnostic tool did not find any problems. I have also made sure that the BIOS is up to date.

Asus Z97-A
Intel Core i7-4790K
Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 XMP
Windows 10 64bit

Solution
Assuming the suspected "good" stick passes the memtest86 test you run tonight, you would still want to return both sticks and get a replacement pair. Even "identical" ram sticks that are not part of a kit could have compatibility issues, as they were not tested together.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
The motherboard is just as important as the memory sticks when diagnosing RAM issues. It is quite possible one of the two slots is faulty. I had similar issues with an AsRock board, and even 48 hours of Memtest86+ found no errors that were fixed upon replacing the motherboard. Try to see if you have a way to replace the motherboard, or at least test a different one.

jbastow

Honorable
Feb 3, 2016

Unfortunately my only way of testing another motherboard is returning the current one, and obviously want to exhaust any other options I have before doing that.

The motherboard has 4 DIMM slots, and i've tried using the RAM modules together in both A2/B2 configuration and A1/B2 configuration. So would this not rule out a faulty slot? Unless two of the slots are faulty?

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
It could still be faulty wiring in the motherboard, or even an unstable memory controller, which can be faulted to either the CPU or the motherboard.

I mixed up your post with another one, and I thought that you had already tested other RAM. I would try that first; if you have any other machine that you know runs well, try using its RAM and see if that's stable to rule out defective RAM. You could even buy a stick for cheap; I find it's always a good idea to have a known good stick running at stock speeds to debug for stability.

jbastow

Honorable
Feb 3, 2016

Pretty sure I have the latest BIOS, downloaded the ASUS EZ Update tool and told me up it was up to date.

I ran memtest86 overnight on the second stick, and this was the result. Can anyone help me interpret?

jbastow

Honorable
Feb 3, 2016
Ok so I just tried running some more tests, which seem to conflict with my original post, but point fairly clearly to a faulty RAM stick.

Firstly I tried booting the PC up with just the RAM stick that failed memtest86, in each of the 4 DIMM slots. Every time i got a BSOD.

Next I tried booting the PC up with just the other RAM stick, in each DIMM slot. Every time it booted up no problems.

I am going to run memtest86 again tonight on the other RAM stick (the one that seems ok), but seems like it must be a faulty module.

Assuming the suspected "good" stick passes the memtest86 test you run tonight, you would still want to return both sticks and get a replacement pair. Even "identical" ram sticks that are not part of a kit could have compatibility issues, as they were not tested together.

Solution