Oct 23, 2020
BSOD after second m.2 installation

So I just put a Crucial P5 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD into the second m.2 port on my ASUS ROG Strix x570e motherboard. It boots up to the login screen where I have to enter my password and then BSOD with the follow errors: kernel security check failure and after restarting once, kernel mode heap corruption. Upon removing the new drive, the computer boots up no problem. I updated my bios, swapped the ports that the m.2s are in, and booted with the old m.2 in the second port to check if the port was faulty. Googled around and basically came up with nothing. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
What is your cpu? m.2 ports are on a simple level just little x4 pci interfaces and each of them takes 4 pci lanes. Because there are limited lanes it isn't too unusual that if you hook a second m.2 you have to shut something else off, like a SATA controller. I looked over your hardware manual and didn't see any specific instructions but if you can post there is an NVMe configuration in bios that may give some insight. Asus did a pretty poor job of documenting everything so I would just go in and take a look.

jasonf2

Distinguished
What is your cpu? m.2 ports are on a simple level just little x4 pci interfaces and each of them takes 4 pci lanes. Because there are limited lanes it isn't too unusual that if you hook a second m.2 you have to shut something else off, like a SATA controller. I looked over your hardware manual and didn't see any specific instructions but if you can post there is an NVMe configuration in bios that may give some insight. Asus did a pretty poor job of documenting everything so I would just go in and take a look.

Solution
Oct 23, 2020
I have a ryzen 7 3700x, and I suspect the same thing but couldn’t find anything in the manual about it. The drive is listed in the bios as well, so it is definitely being recognized

jasonf2

Distinguished
I cannot find anything definitive for your board but ryzen 3000 cpus have 24 pci gen 4 lanes. 4 Are in use for the chipset. That means that before you start you have 20. 16 are going to the video card more than likely and that leaves 4. That is enough for one m.2 set up for x4 configuration off chipset. It looks like you may be able to cheat though and configure some of the chipset lanes to run M.2. But if it is a 4 lane nvme you will have to down the SATA.

Oct 23, 2020
I cannot find anything definitive for your board but ryzen 3000 cpus have 24 pci gen 4 lanes. 4 Are in use for the chipset. That means that before you start you have 20. 16 are going to the video card more than likely and that leaves 4. That is enough for one m.2 set up for x4 configuration off chipset. It looks like you may be able to cheat though and configure some of the chipset lanes to run M.2. But if it is a 4 lane nvme you will have to down the SATA.
So after much trial and error, it turns out the problem was an ASUS service called ROG Live Service. I disabled that and everything boots up just fine. From what I can tell it has to do with some of the RGB controls on the mobo, and hopefully a fix comes at some point in the future. But until then, I will leave it disabled and most likely not buy an ASUS mobo ever again. Thanks for the help though.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I am glad you found it. I have used ASUS boards for years and one of the things I have learned is if you want a stable machine load their drivers, but don't load their other programs. All of the profile stuff can usually be done via bios. The programming on their free utilities is pretty bad. They are good boards for the most part though.

TRENDING THREADS