[SOLVED] BSOD: VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR when laptop switches from iGPU to dGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
Sometimes, when I plug in my laptop and my dGPU kicks in, my laptop crashes under the VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR BSOD...
The issue manifests around once a week.

I have an ASUS TUF A15 2021 (full specs down below...)
This laptop doesn't have a MUX switch and relies on Optimus for passing the dGPU to the screen.

I really don't see what could cause this issue... It's doing it since the first week I got this laptop and I got it for slightly more than a month ago.

If you need any more information that could help identifying the problem and potential troubleshooting steps, I'm at your disposal.

Thank you.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: RTX 3060 mobile
RAM: 16GB
SSD1: 512GB (included)
SSD2: WD blue SN550 1TB

https://www.newegg.ca/eclipse-gray-...inment/p/N82E16834235636?Item=N82E16834235636

Was it brand new or you got it used?
If it's new, I see no reason why YOU need to try and fix it. You got warranty and you need to use it, otherwise what's the reason having one?
Contact Asus and let them know about the issue. They will either troubleshoot it with you, or ask you to send it for repair.
Make clear that you will not accept a non properly working laptop.

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
Was it brand new or you got it used?
If it's new, I see no reason why YOU need to try and fix it. You got warranty and you need to use it, otherwise what's the reason having one?
Contact Asus and let them know about the issue. They will either troubleshoot it with you, or ask you to send it for repair.
Make clear that you will not accept a non properly working laptop.

I got the device brand new on Newegg...

I will contact ASUS customer service about this issue.
I would still have preferred simple (or maybe advanced) software fix instead of relying on their call centers.

Thank you for your help.

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
What version on Windows 10 are you on right now?
Have you tried DDU?
How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum

Sometimes the issue is DirectX related. Download the latest release and install it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

I always have the latest install of Windows 10 and the issue happened in all versions the laptop ran on.

I did DDU all drivers and reinstalled them. The issue still persists.

I'll give a shot to a DirectX reinstall... I hope it fixes everything.

Sep 13, 2021
I always have the latest install of Windows 10 and the issue happened in all versions the laptop ran on.

I did DDU all drivers and reinstalled them. The issue still persists.

I'll give a shot to a DirectX reinstall... I hope it fixes everything.
Is this problem fixed, I also have same problem when i turn of igpu from armoury crate it does not put dgpu to extreme power save and when i again try to turn on igpu this BSOD appears. So i am asking you is your problem fixed or still continue ?

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
Is this problem fixed, I also have same problem when i turn of igpu from armoury crate it does not put dgpu to extreme power save and when i again try to turn on igpu this BSOD appears. So i am asking you is your problem fixed or still continue ?

The problem isn't fixed...

If I find a solution I will post it here.

For now I just don't plug my laptop (which turns on the dgpu) when some applications are actively using the igpu for 3d rendering... (any games and sometimes messenger calls do this too)

Status
Not open for further replies.