[SOLVED] BSOD: Video Scheduler Internal Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2021
Hello.

As the title says, I've been having a problem with my computer for around the past 6 months.

During the first 5-20 minutes of me opening a video game and playing it, my game will proceed to have a sudden FPS drop with stutters, and my whole desktop will also start to freeze up and stutter. The audio coming from my PC, whether it's the games audio or Discord audio, will also start to stutter and I will hear crackling noises, and the audio will sound super distorted and at one point it will just freeze up and sound like a generator or something blasting through my headphones. This is followed with my monitor's screen going black, and sometimes it will turn on again, sometimes it won't. When the monitor recovers, the game crashed, and my whole desktop still is really slow. I always restart my computer whenever any of these symptoms start, and my PC will usually restart fine, with sometimes the restart getting frozen and me needing to hold my case's power button. When my PC reboots, it acts completely normal. Sometimes, I have 100 GPU usage, with low FPS, but this isn't always. I forgot to mention that this whole problem only occurs once a day. Like I said, restarting my PC when I have these symptoms fixes it, but if I restart my PC before I have any symptoms then it will still happen. This whole incident started with it only happening once a couple of weeks or months, and I didn't think much of it, but over time it progressed to happening every single day. When I'm watching YouTube or on Chrome, it's completely fine, only when playing games. Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to be super detailed.

Anyways, when I look in reliability monitor, I will usually get Hardware error 117, 141, and 142.

Looking in WhoCrashed, this is the most common thing that I get:

This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x3AD0)Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFFD0B94045960, 0xFFFFB008CAE8F130)Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERRORfile path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sysproduct: Microsoft® Windows® Operating Systemcompany: Microsoft Corporationdescription: Watchdog DriverBug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
I have tried some things to try and fix this issue, and sometimes these "fixes" stops the issue from happening for a day or two, but it always comes back.
I've tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows 10
  • Updating BIOS
  • Using DDU to uninstall and reinstall numerous different NVIDIA driver versions
  • Downclocking GPU to -100 and -200 on both memory clock and core clock in Afterburner
  • I've done MemTest with no errors
  • I've done Furmark with no errors
  • Did a hard drive scan, and scanned my SSD (nothing)
  • Did sfc scannow and DISM, along with CHKDSK (nothing)
I'm so sick and tired of trying to figure out what is wrong with my system. I feel like it really is a software problem. My system is almost exactly a year old. The first 6 months it ran perfectly, no issues or crashes whatsoever. The fact that it only happens once a day, with a restart fixing it really sells it to me, but the fact that it got more apparent over time confuses me.
My specs are:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI Ventus GP OC RTX 2060 Super
  • B450 Tomahawk Max
  • G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GVKC
  • CX550M Power supply
  • 2TB Barracuda HDD with 500GB Western Digital NVME M.2.
Thank you!

Crash dump: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rwrlesa50yya5/Minidump

Solution
first two in May & 4th June are Nvidia drivers
other 3 are all directx which in my experience means its GPU drivers

So it doesn't like the new drivers as you get crashes on them, and its showing a different GPU error for these
Jul 05 2020nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/

Did you get those yourself? Have you tried running DDU and instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let it find older drivers - though they likely not much older than what you have now.

not sure if newer chipset drivers will help - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

watchdog.sys is tied to Nvidia drivers.

one suggested fix is to...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/Lcbz3oeq/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:060821-6281-01.dmp (Jun 8 2021 - 17:38:21)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

File information:060621-5671-01.dmp (Jun 6 2021 - 17:56:30)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:060521-5593-01.dmp (Jun 5 2021 - 15:13:54)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:060421-5953-01.dmp (Jun 4 2021 - 22:06:55)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:052221-7468-01.dmp (May 22 2021 - 14:03:32)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
You have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master

So it doesn't like the new drivers as you get crashes on them, and its showing a different GPU error for these

Did you get those yourself? Have you tried running DDU and instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let it find older drivers - though they likely not much older than what you have now.

not sure if newer chipset drivers will help - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

one suggested fix is to check for overheating - https://windowsreport.com/fix-watchdog-error/

can't really use the drivers on here as it points to Geforce Experience - https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/support/GeForce-RTX-2060-SUPER-VENTUS-GP-OC

Solution
Jun 12, 2021

one suggested fix is to check for overheating - https://windowsreport.com/fix-watchdog-error/

can't really use the drivers on here as it points to Geforce Experience - https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/support/GeForce-RTX-2060-SUPER-VENTUS-GP-OC

Hello and thanks for responding to my issue. I have tried DDU-ing and reinstalling multiple versions of NVIDIA drivers. I focused around June-July 2020 because that's when I built my PC and those are the driver versions I most likely kept on my system, where it worked fine for 6 months.
I can't remember the exact version though so I have just been trying to test some versions, and they all seem to not work. I did DDU and and install a graphics card version, but after 5 or so minutes of it being installed, it automatically went to another version in December of 2020. I wasn't sure why so I rolled back to the version I was installing originally, because I thought this was some sort of windows glitch happening. Maybe Windows actually knows best and was trying to install the only driver version that worked? I'll test it today and come back and post the results.
Anyways, I also posted my issue on NVIDIA forums, and one of the moderators told me that the latest NVIDIA driver was supposed to fix this issue (ver. 466.77). As soon as I opened my computer this morning, I ran FurMark and sure enough my computer crashed and rebooted automatically.
I think it's safe to say my graphics card does not like any of the drivers from this year. I will check for overheating but it never has really been a problem before. I monitor temperatures, and my CPU can sometimes reach into the 80s under a heavy load but that's not all the time, and my GPU also reaches into the 75-80s with a heavy load. I don't think temperatures would cause a crash every day at around the same time, and just magically not crash for the rest of the day. My computer will crash even if I'm in the main menu of a video game. Weird. Anyways, thanks for the help and I will be sure to come back to bring more info.

[mod edit: spacing]

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
14 lines with no breaks was too much for my brain to cope with. So I added some spaces into your answer.

is it always roughly the same time each day?
you could check in scheduled tasks and see if anything set to run about same time.

(Long shot: DO you have any old peripherals you have attached to PC? I just wonder of one of them might be causing the problem. I had graphics problems a few years ago that ended up being caused by my speakers the first time, and then a year later my mouse. USB is on the same controller as GPU so it can cross over)

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

i don't know if that will do anything, it would be unusual but its worth a try.

Like I said, restarting my PC when I have these symptoms fixes it, but if I restart my PC before I have any symptoms then it will still happen.
if you hadn't said 2nd part of sentence i could have suggested one possible fix, but its not likely if it still does it after a restart anyway.

If the card was rejecting the drivers completely and not letting you install them, then I could say it is possibly the card itself.

Right now, 5 BSOD all saying GPU are sort of hard to ignore but I will for now. It is screaming it though so I shouldn't.

I have a 2070 Super running latest Nvidia drivers, so I know they should work.

shame you can't really play games in safe mode. would tell us if its a driver at least.

Jun 12, 2021
14 lines with no breaks was too much for my brain to cope with. So I added some spaces into your answer.

you could check in scheduled tasks and see if anything set to run about same time.

(Long shot: DO you have any old peripherals you have attached to PC? I just wonder of one of them might be causing the problem. I had graphics problems a few years ago that ended up being caused by my speakers the first time, and then a year later my mouse. USB is on the same controller as GPU so it can cross over)

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if you hadn't said 2nd part of sentence i could have suggested one possible fix, but its not likely if it still does it after a restart anyway.

If the card was rejecting the drivers completely and not letting you install them, then I could say it is possibly the card itself.

Right now, 5 BSOD all saying GPU are sort of hard to ignore but I will for now. It is screaming it though so I shouldn't.

shame you can't really play games in safe mode. would tell us if its a driver at least.

Hey, sorry about the spaces. I'm kind of new to these things..

I wouldn't really say it happens around the same time of day, because as I said it only happens when I open a game and/or play.

I could browse the internet or watch YouTube for 8 hours straight and it wouldn't happen at all, but if I do the same thing but instead I open a game, it WILL crash in the next 5-20 minutes of me opening the game but only once!

I remember around 2 or 3 months ago, I had a USB webcam plugged into my PC that I wasn't using while these crashes were happening, and I searched it up to find that USB devices might have been causing these issues. So I unplugged my webcam, and it actually stopped the crashes for a couple days but it eventually returned, and I plugged it back in because I had to use it. A week ago or so my PC crashed as usual, so I thought about unplugging my webcam again and this time it didn't stop the crashes for a few days, it crashed the next day again.

Other than that, the only other USB devices I have in my PC are my mouse and keyboard...

Jun 12, 2021

Hi again!

I am super happy to be writing this because I restarted my PC into a clean boot just now and I ran FurMark for 10 minutes with no crashes or stutters whatsoever. In the 10 minutes I also hit 92,000 frames without overclocking more, with 155 FPS avg. My settings were 1080p, Full Screen, and no AA. (I don't know if that is good or not but it seems impressive to me..lol)

Anyways...looks like it might after all be a weird program or driver causing this issue? I was super worried that this was a hardware issue and my GPU was broken and I would have to RMA it during these weird GPU shortage times, but hey I guess maybe I won't have to do that..

With all that being said, I still might be talking too soon and it might happen again but this is a major improvement from two days ago when I ran FurMark and it crashed not even 5 minutes in.

I also updated my Chipset driver to the latest yesterday, and that might have done something too, but I was getting some werid stutters and a couple game crashes during my play session the same day.

Edit: Added images

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.