Question BSOD "VIDEO TDR FAILURE" Cause: atikmpag.sys

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Hi, yesterday I came to a pretty hard problem to deal with.

Out of nowhere my PC has shutdown, I have turned it on again but after the windows logo showed up I saw the blue screen of death with this title:

VIDEO TDR FAILURE
Cause: atikmpag.sys

I did my research tried various methods and it just doesn't want to work.
What I found out is that by uninstalling the AMD graphics drivers from Device Manager in Safe Mode, I am able to boot normally to system with default Microsoft display driver, but every time when I try to install fresh and new AMD drivers again, at about 70% of the AMD Adrenalin installation the monitor loses signal and then the PC seems to be working but with no video signal. I naturally tried to reboot the PC but the BSOD happens again in a loop.

I also tried manually changing the "atikmpag.sys" files, but my computer seems to not have any of those files on the disk and the same is for ATI folder in c: drive, it is just missing. I am out of my mind now, can someone smarter than me help me out here?

System Spec:
  • Windows 10 - 64 Bit
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
  • Radeon RX 590
  • HyperX 2x8GB (16GB) RAM
  • Goodram SATA III 250GB SSD
  • B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86) (AM4) Motherboard
  • BeQuiet Pure Power 11 500W PSU

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
the Radeon drivers are likely in windows driver folders, why you can't find them under ati folder on disk. Drivers don't get installed into standard folder locations.

which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 2004.

Have you tried running windows update after uninstalling drivers in safe mode (did you use ddu for that? (https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ )) and let windows find drivers for the card, they might work better than the latest from AMD.

DDU will remove all traces of AMD GPU drivers off the PC in safe mode.

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
the Radeon drivers are likely in windows driver folders, why you can't find them under ati folder on disk. Drivers don't get installed into standard folder locations.

which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 2004.

Have you tried running windows update after uninstalling drivers in safe mode (did you use ddu for that? (https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ )) and let windows find drivers for the card, they might work better than the latest from AMD.

DDU will remove all traces of AMD GPU drivers off the PC in safe mode.

I have read quite a bit of articles and all of them said mostly the same "Search for this path: 'C:\windows\system32\drivers\' and find atikmpag.sys, but on my pc it is missing.
The articles also mentioned about going into 'c:\ATI\' but this path is also missing. I even tried to get this file by cmd with 'expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys' like in some tutorials but also no luck."

I did winver and it is on 1903.

I am going to be honest I never used DDU but I think it did it's job, I chose GPU and removed all drivers with restart, I have ran the windows update I saw that the 2004 version is available to install.. but sadly when I try to do it, couple of seconds after the screen just goes black, the pc is running but with no video signal.

Colif

Win 11 Master
could try to update using this method

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (yes, there is an option to update using tool but if it fails again, you need to download everything again)
once USB is created, put it in PC you want to update
go to file explorer, navigate to the USB and click on setup.exe
it will offer to update PC, choose keep files/settings.
PC will hopefully not black screen during this

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
could try to update using this method

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (yes, there is an option to update using tool but if it fails again, you need to download everything again)
once USB is created, put it in PC you want to update
go to file explorer, navigate to the USB and click on setup.exe
it will offer to update PC, choose keep files/settings.
PC will hopefully not black screen during this

Okay I am sorry for such a late response but I had some stuff to do and also tried to find USB stick with more than 8GB on it because that is how much is required, unfortunately couldn't find any. But luckily I have another graphic card that I could swap, it is from Nvidia and the PC seems to be working like new. I have updated everything the Windows version is 2004 now. The problem is my RX590 still throws the same BSOD (And that is only after trying to install new AMD drivers because default microsoft driver works...).

EDIT: I also found the files somehow "atikmpag.sys" but now when I try to rename them I have access denied... no matter what I do, administrative privilages etc. nothing works.

Last edited:

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
since everything is working fine?

then get another rx 590 to test or rma it.

So... If I get it right, the only solution you can give me is to get another 200 GBP graphics card?

I could RMA but is it really this GPU's fault? It worked.. And the system is just throwing an error even including file which is the problem.