BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

Aug 9, 2018
This is driving me absolutely crazy. Just last night I was playing Battlefield 1, and it was running perfectly, then this morning I log in and every time, the game stutters, glitches, the audio buzzes in and out, and inevitably I get this BSOD error: "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)". As far as I know, nothing happened overnight. It couldn't have updated because I turn my system off when not in use.

I tried to follow other solutions on this site, checking for updated drivers, using UDD to do a clean install of my drivers, I've tried turning down graphics settings, upping the voltage & dropping the multiplier on my CPU overclock, everything I can think of I've done to no avail. I even installed some POS program called DriverEasy, which did nothing and I uninstalled soon after opening it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The GeForce driver I have installed now is Version 398.82, the most recent.

Specs: CPU, i5-8600k (4.6 GHz, ~1.33v), EVGA 1070 Ti, 16GB Corsair DDR4, Z370 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon mobo, 3x 1080p displays @ 60Hz.

Edit: After posting I realized this probably was not posted in the correct forum, my apologies. I don't know how to correct it.

Solution
VIDEO_TDR_ERROR generally means either the GPU has a hardware fault, or there is a problem with the current GPU driver. What's happening under the hood is the GPU driver is crashing, attempting to restart, then crashing a second time before it finishes. Use a different WHQL GPU driver and see if that fixes things. If not, then it's fairly likely your GPU is failing.
Aug 9, 2018

I reinstalled and now it doesn't BSOD. Games just stutter and freeze until the computer crashes. 1920x1080 is playable at lower settings but 5760x1080 is impossible. Could it just be a bad GPU?

I just don't understand how it could have gone from running Battlefield 1 on Ultra across three screens to hardly being able to play it on one :/

VIDEO_TDR_ERROR generally means either the GPU has a hardware fault, or there is a problem with the current GPU driver. What's happening under the hood is the GPU driver is crashing, attempting to restart, then crashing a second time before it finishes. Use a different WHQL GPU driver and see if that fixes things. If not, then it's fairly likely your GPU is failing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS