[SOLVED] BSOD - whea uncorrectable error

Mar 23, 2020
Hi, I have been getting BSOD with the whea uncorrectable error message.
Usually happens when CPU is not under any load.

I first got the error when I tried overclocking the cpu to 5ghz
Happened when I used BIOS or Intel extreme tuning utility (set multipliers to 50 on core and 47 on cache)
Temps were around 55c during stress tests and no signs of any thermal throttling or any other problems
The Cpu passed a few short stress tests (30 mins to an hour) but then got BSOD while just navigating through windows with no programs running.
I then tried some lower core speeds but had same problem.
Tried just using the game boost mode in msi bios but got same error so hoping it is just a driver issue and not a bad cpu

So, I have tried a few things:
re-seated the CPU and applied new thermal paste (both seemed fine already)
checked all cables etc
flashed the bios - this seemed to fix it as was working for a day or so but just had same BSOD error

After flashing the bios I stress tested it for a few hours and got no errors.
I watched a few videos then played COD warzone for a few hours- had no problems.
CPU temps were 45-60c max
Then about 2 hours later after I had quit the game I got the same problem.

System specs are
I7-9700k
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC - MS-7B17
BIOS A.70 02/01/20
Zotac 2080 super Driver - 442.59 (just updated to 445.75)
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz & 2 dummy modules
Corsair H115i Platinum RGB AIO
Corsair RM850x PSU
Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

I followed a guide on here and got some minidumps
Minidump zip link
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjptpmxaaIiozkHV3BRUmwRCjk5?e=Sn5tBg

Any help would be great - Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I haven't had any ASUS parts or accessories in this build and never had gpu tweak 2 so not sure where those drivers have come from but will try removing them. Did swap the GPU a few months ago but that was MSI and the problems only started recently.

Have you run any 3rd party driver updating software? as that might explain why these 2 are running. The RGB driver could be the one used by many Motherboard makers to control RGB so it could be okay, but you shouldn't have asIO2.sys installed so try running this to stop it running at startup - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns - it could be cause of WHEA errors as it is used to change the speeds of hardware such as CPU & GPU on Asus...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will ask a friend to convert dump files for me.

are you still overclocked? if so, remove them as they onne reason you get WHEA errors.
run this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Do you have MSI afterburner installed? It can cause whea errors
Do you have Intel Extreme Tuning Utility installed as it can cause whea errors. (its listed on motherboard website)
Have you got latest version of Intel management engine interface? I would grab it from in Other drivers here and also Chipset drivers - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

Whea errors aren't normally drivers except for a few like the ones listed above,

why are there 2 dummy modules in your ram slots?

I assume Multi core enhancement is turned off in the BIOS.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://timorousjackal.htmlpasta.com/
File information:032320-9625-01.dmp (Mar 23 2020 - 11:33:25)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vdvad.sys
Probably caused by:vdvad.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:031920-12421-01.dmp (Mar 19 2020 - 12:16:15)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

The following dump files were 0 bytes long which means they are invalid:
031920-11921-01.dmp
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC
The dump file says you have BIOS version 7.1. Yet the only one listed on the page is 7.0 so I'm not sure what's going on. It also appears that you recently updated and 7.0 is newer than 7.1. This makes no sense.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
vdvad.sys - Virtual Desktop streamer - https://steamcommunity.com/app/382110/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB
Mar 13 2019vdvad.sysVirtual Desktop Virtual Audio driver

part of Occulus? only as I see it mentions VAD in some of its drivers descriptions
Aug 02 2017Oculus_ViGEmBus.sysOculus Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus driver
Dec 03 2019 oculusvad.sys Oculus VAD driver

but then Nvidia also get in on the act
Mar 14 2019nvvad64v.sysNvidia Virtual Audio driver http://www.nvidia.com/
although that might be normal, I don't normally look for VAD's

update oculus if you can, I assume the vdvad.sys ties into that?

remove afterburner until we figure out cause.

Do you have any Asus? Because these are out of place
Apr 09 2019 AsIO2.sys Asus Input Output driver
Apr 22 2019 GLCKIO2.sys ASUS RGB driver
Have you had an Asus GPU in this or tried to run GPU Tweak 2?

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks for the replies, I do have afterburner installed and never had any problems with it before but will try uninstalling it.

I have Intel Extreme Tuning Utility installed but had the problem before I installed it.

I have Intel management engine interface and had checked everything was up to date and same with MSI driver page.

I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and passed all tests

The RAM dummy modules are just for RGB (4 look better than 2!)

The reason I thought the problem was a driver was because I followed a guide that said to run 'Verifier' and that caused a boot loop (I made a restore point 1st). Should have mentioned this before but forgot. The error I got was ; driver verifier detected violation. It didn't mention any specific driver.

Multicore enhancement is set to auto in BIOS (named something slightly different). I think the MSI bios game boost mode auto compensates for multi cores - eg not all cores run at full speed if they are all in use.

The BIOS I had on before (A71) I couldn't actually find on the page for any of this range of motherboards but that's what it shipped with and the release date for A70 is after I bought it so I was a bit confused as well. One of the dump files may have been from before I flashed the BIOS.

Virtual Desktop streamer is a 3rd party app that lets you play oculus rift games wirelessly on the quest. It does run in the background from startup so i'll try disabling that as well as updating all the oculus software.

I haven't had any ASUS parts or accessories in this build and never had gpu tweak 2 so not sure where those drivers have come from but will try removing them. Did swap the GPU a few months ago but that was MSI and the problems only started recently.

I have had the pc running most of the day today with game boost (4.7ghz) and XMP turned on in bios and had no crashes but will try the points above and update if it continues. Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master

Have you run any 3rd party driver updating software? as that might explain why these 2 are running. The RGB driver could be the one used by many Motherboard makers to control RGB so it could be okay, but you shouldn't have asIO2.sys installed so try running this to stop it running at startup - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns - it could be cause of WHEA errors as it is used to change the speeds of hardware such as CPU & GPU on Asus systems. . All autoruns does is stops them running at startup, if they are needed by any program it can still start it.

The BIOS I had on before (A71) I couldn't actually find on the page for any of this range of motherboards but that's what it shipped with and the release date for A70 is after I bought it so I was a bit confused as well. One of the dump files may have been from before I flashed the BIOS.
Gardenman has been changing his software around recently and I think he would be best answering that detail as I don't know. He has changed it so each driver list on every report only shows what was running on that error, whereas before it showed a driver list for all BSOD, but I don't know the source of the system info page, whether it is from the 1st or last BSOD. If you click here, you see it shows under system info - https://timorousjackal.htmlpasta.com/# - before he made that software it was a struggle for me to help anyone so I appreciate it.

we could just wait and see what next BSOD shows as BIOS version. Release versions on motherboards always seem to have weird dates.

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
I have no idea what's going on with those BIOS versions. I would ask MSI about it. Having version 7.1 be an older version than 7.0 makes no sense.

He has changed it so each driver list on every report only shows what was running on that error
On previous versions, the driver list is what was running on the 1st dump file only. BIOS info was from the 1st dump file also. The new version shows what was running at the time of the crash for each dump file. This can be useful in determining a trouble making driver.
whereas before it showed a driver list for all BSOD
No, the previous version showed the driver list from the 1st dump only. BIOS info was also from the first dump only.
the source of the system info page, whether it is from the 1st or last BSOD
The System Info page is a combination of info from all dump files. That's how it's always been. That's why it says you might see 2 Windows versions, or 2 BIOS versions if the user upgrades/updates between 2 dump files.
we could just wait and see what next BSOD shows as BIOS version
You can tell which BIOS is currently loaded by looking at the 1st dump file in the list (which is always the newest one) and the BIOS info for that dump.

I hope that clears some of it up. It's the same as before, but now there's more info. Old version vs. New version. Note that the driver list is the same between the old version and the 1st dump (only) in the new version.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know how old/new ADA showed drivers, I probably just didn't explain it clear enough.

I must have been blind yesterday or I would have seen the 2 BIOS versions on the report... and not have even said anything about sys info. It was 4pm so I don't have an excuse :)

I hate how the bios code on MSI website shows 7B17vA7 when the bios in system shows A70 or A71... I have seen this before with MSI but I still don't like it. Based on dates I would have to think that is .70 since its dated 2nd Jan 2020.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020
Just an update, I uninstalled the asus driver and 2 programs that were linked to it (still no idea where they came from) and have been running the pc a lot the past few days with no crashes with both cpu and gpu overclocked using intel extreme tuning utility and afterburner so it's looking like the driver was the problem-hopefully!

Boot up times are slightly better as well which is a bonus

Thanks for the help