Question BSOD: Whea_uncorrectable_error after upgrading CPU/windows updates

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
Hello. I've recently been dealing with BSOD, 1 to 3 BSOD per day for the past 5/6 days. This coincides with me upgrading my CPU from an Intel i5 3470 to an i7 3770. I used to never get BSOD's before this. I keep my PC clean when it comes to dust and dirt and when it comes to unecessary programs, i keep the bare minimum. Right before getting a BSOD, the pc freezes for a split second and the sound glitches "in place", like it loops that last bit of sound over and over, even while in blue screen. The bsod happen randomly, i could just be watching youtube, working in photoshop or sometimes when im gaming.
My system
After reading some of the solutions, i ran the Intel CPU test and everything passed so im guessing it's not the CPU. I did have MSI afterburner installed and was using it with my GPU when i was running the i5 on my PC and it didnt cause any issues. But i removed it as well since it was pointed out that might cause WHEA errors. I do have my bios flashed to the latest version for my motherboard. I have also tested my RAM using memtest86 and after 4 hours everything passed with 0 errors.

Now i can't really figure out what's causing the issue. Can it still be the CPU even if it passed the Intel CPU test and other stress tests i've ran. I've also read it could be the PSU not giving enough voltage to the CPU, should i tweak something there (btw, my motherboard has all AUTO settings, nothing overclocked or anything, only Turbo Boost which is native to the CPU). Also after upgrading to the new CPU I got some windows updates, could those cause the issue as well ?

I have the minidump files if anyone can help open and interpret those since i couldnt figure out to do that myself. I pretty much wanna know if i should rule out the CPU since i can still send it back and of course if possible get to the bottom of this. Thanks in advance !

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello. I've recently been dealing with BSOD, 1 to 3 BSOD per day for the past 5/6 days. This coincides with me upgrading my CPU from an Intel i5 3470 to an i7 3770. I used to never get BSOD's before this. I keep my PC clean when it comes to dust and dirt and when it comes to unecessary programs, i keep the bare minimum. Right before getting a BSOD, the pc freezes for a split second and the sound glitches "in place", like it loops that last bit of sound over and over, even while in blue screen. The bsod happen randomly, i could just be watching youtube, working in photoshop or sometimes when im gaming.
My system
After reading some of the solutions, i ran the Intel CPU test and everything passed so im guessing it's not the CPU. I did have MSI afterburner installed and was using it with my GPU when i was running the i5 on my PC and it didnt cause any issues. But i removed it as well since it was pointed out that might cause WHEA errors. I do have my bios flashed to the latest version for my motherboard. I have also tested my RAM using memtest86 and after 4 hours everything passed with 0 errors.

Now i can't really figure out what's causing the issue. Can it still be the CPU even if it passed the Intel CPU test and other stress tests i've ran. I've also read it could be the PSU not giving enough voltage to the CPU, should i tweak something there (btw, my motherboard has all AUTO settings, nothing overclocked or anything, only Turbo Boost which is native to the CPU). Also after upgrading to the new CPU I got some windows updates, could those cause the issue as well ?

I have the minidump files if anyone can help open and interpret those since i couldnt figure out to do that myself. I pretty much wanna know if i should rule out the CPU since i can still send it back and of course if possible get to the bottom of this. Thanks in advance !
Did you reset CMOS after the CPU change? If not do so.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Turn off. unplug, remove battery push power on button and hold it for about 30 seconds, put battery back in after about 5 minutes after that then reboot> On major changes like that you need to reset the CMOS before it will realize you made changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TudorN

Colif

Win 11 Master
Updating bios could help too. Sure, there might not be an update given age of motherboard
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75 Pro3/#BIOS

What are all the parts in the PC?
CPU I7 3770
MB - Asrock B75 Pro3
GPU - GTX 1060gb
Ram - Kingston 16gb?
What Power Supply?
What ssd/hdd?

Gardenman will reply later with a conversion of the dumps.

WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) can be any hardware. Can also be drivers
given what you just swapped - - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
Turn off. unplug, remove battery push power on button and hold it for about 30 seconds, put battery back in after about 5 minutes after that then reboot> On major changes like that you need to reset the CMOS before it will realize you made changes.
reseting the CMOS didnt help. just got another BSOD while watching youtube on chrome. I did notice most of the time it happens while i have chrome opened and watching youtube, but then again that;s what i do most besides gaming/work

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
Updating bios could help too. Sure, there might not be an update given age of motherboard
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75 Pro3/#BIOS

What are all the parts in the PC?
CPU I7 3770
MB - Asrock B75 Pro3
GPU - GTX 1060gb
Ram - Kingston 16gb?
What Power Supply?
What ssd/hdd?

Gardenman will reply later with a conversion of the dumps.

WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) can be any hardware. Can also be drivers
given what you just swapped - - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
BIOS is up to date with the 1.9vers, updated it after i started getting the blue screens but didnt help.
RAM - 2 x HyperX Genesis 8GB (2x4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.65V, XMP (although i bought the kits with those specs while running memtest86 on them they showed up like this 1st 2x4gb kit vs 2nd 2x4 gb kit) but like i said 0 errors after 4 passes.
PSU - Sirtec 500W, ATX 2.3, PFC active
SSD - SanDisk Plus, 240GB for OS
- Kingston A400, 480GB for apps/games
HDD - WD WD10EZEX Blue 1TB or random files/photos

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://unvulgarcup.htmlpasta.com/
File information:061820-10781-01.dmp (Jun 17 2020 - 19:56:16)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:061620-6671-01.dmp (Jun 16 2020 - 15:11:20)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: RustClient.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:061520-7421-01.dmp (Jun 15 2020 - 16:52:10)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:061520-6328-01.dmp (Jun 14 2020 - 20:13:43)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:061520-6250-01.dmp (Jun 15 2020 - 13:35:16)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: RustClient.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

File information:061320-11343-01.dmp (Jun 13 2020 - 06:09:52)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75 Pro3/
You have recently updated to the latest BIOS, version 1.90.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: TudorN

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)
oh wow! appreciate the debugging info! although i cant find RTCore64 in the processes list or in any of the program files folders since i uninstalled MSIAfterburner. So not really sure how I should go forward with this info.

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
so i reseted the CMOS, reseated the memory sticks, checked on the cabling making sure everything is plugged properly, did a memtest86 + windows memory diagnostic, intel CPU stress test, gpu stress test, sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f /r, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth /RestoreHealth, defragged the harddrives and everything came out without any errors, clean. Still cant figure out what the issue is ...

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh wow! appreciate the debugging info! although i cant find RTCore64 in the processes list or in any of the program files folders since i uninstalled MSIAfterburner. So not really sure how I should go forward with this info.
it shows up in dump 2 and dump 4
Sep 19 2019RTCore64.sys!!! Overclocking Software - RivaTuner - MSI Afterburner http://www.msi.com/ or EVGA Precision X http://www.evga.com/
Do you happen to have the EVGA program?
Its not always running, it only shows in 2 of the errors. Means something is running the process.

Try updating LAN drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
2 of the crashes are in Chrome and the 2 rust ones could also be lan.
Newest Nvidia drivers don't play well with 1060 but they don't cause WHEA errors.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
Do you happen to have the EVGA program?
Its not always running, it only shows in 2 of the errors. Means something is running the process.

Try updating LAN drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
I dont have program installed that could be running that RTCore64.sys. at least not that i can tell.
I updated the LAN drivers, thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed though a couple of errors that kept repeating in the Event Viewer. One was caused by "
The WsDrvInst service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." and "
The WsAppService3 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." from a program called Wondershare which i unistalled a while back but kept wanting to load on my system so i disabled it completely from services.msc. And now the other error logged in the Event Viewer is related to "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{8d014a4a-fedd-11e7-b451-806e6f6e6963}#00000058D5C00000.", "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{dbdc68bd-15a9-11ea-b4f3-bc5ff46eec36}#0000000000100000." and "The driver \Driver\usbccgp failed to load for the device USB\VID_046D&PID_C084\1865374D3837."

Here's a screenshot from DriverView

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://heraldicfieldspaniel.htmlpasta.com/
File information:061920-6687-01.dmp (Jun 19 2020 - 16:32:13)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File information:061820-6046-01.dmp (Jun 18 2020 - 16:25:27)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)
Comment: Hardware tests aren't perfect. You can have bad hardware even if a test says it's good. All WHEA errors so far point to hardware. Determining which hardware it is will be difficult.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
Comment: Hardware tests aren't perfect. You can have bad hardware even if a test says it's good. All WHEA errors so far point to hardware. Determining which hardware it is will be difficult.
considering the fact that the only thing i changed hardware wise before these problems started happening was the CPU upgrade, im guessing all things point to the new CPU even though it passed all of the tests i've ran on it.

Thank you for the dump read.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The weird thing is for the past 3 nights i've been getting BSOD at around 23:30, like it's scheduled or something. Once per day, at around that time. DUMP for the bsod from tonight and last night -> https://we.tl/t-7crdY00dSR

could look in scheduled tasks to see if anything happens at that time.

Another test is run in safe mode as that will remove any drivers from blame.

Event viewer always has errors, its why I generally don't look in it.
I dislike when Driver view reports only show 2 dates lol

Intel smart connect is from 2016, it doesn't appear to be for win 10. Newest is for Win 8.

well, its a fair guess to blame the CPU if it is only change and PC worked fine before.

TudorN

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
UPDATE

after a days of BSOD;s, at least 2/3 daily, i decided to reinstall windows, switching from Win 10 Enterprise to Win 10 Pro. This seemed to have fixed the issue, 3 days after and no BSOD yet.

What i'm guessing happened in the first place, it was one of the windows updates that messed up my system, specifically an update regarding Windows and Flash Player. I've tried uninstalling that update but afterwards windows would refuse to boot. So it's likely related to Windows updates.

TRENDING THREADS