BSoD - WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (freeze + reboot)

ZudoHackz

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Hi, today I encountered an issue where my PC (running Windows 8.1) randomly froze, then rebooted. From BlueScreenView's output, the file causing the issue is "ntoskrnl.exe" - I can't believe that this internal part of Windows is actually causing the problem.

The dump files:
http://1drv.ms/1K21yz1

BlueScreenView output:
d9a6031ddf.png

Solution
remove any BIOS, CPU or GPU overclocking
check power connections from the PSU to the GPU and make sure supplemental power is properly connected.
check and make sure your power supply is correctly rated for your system.

--------
first bugcheck 0x124
Error Type : BUS error
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError
Error : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)

this is a internal CPU error
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:10.023
most likely the system rebooted and started back up before the power to the CPU was stable.
it was a panic bugcheck so most of the info that a memory dump would provide in not available.

second bugcheck was basically the same, the system was up 5 seconds. Most likely the CPU voltage dropped low...
remove any BIOS, CPU or GPU overclocking
check power connections from the PSU to the GPU and make sure supplemental power is properly connected.
check and make sure your power supply is correctly rated for your system.

--------
first bugcheck 0x124
Error Type : BUS error
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError
Error : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)

this is a internal CPU error
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:10.023
most likely the system rebooted and started back up before the power to the CPU was stable.
it was a panic bugcheck so most of the info that a memory dump would provide in not available.

second bugcheck was basically the same, the system was up 5 seconds. Most likely the CPU voltage dropped low enough to reset the CPU but the PSU did not prevent the CPU startup before the power was stable again.

Solution

ZudoHackz

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Thanks, but this doesn't appear to be the problem. I've checked the power connections, and the power supply appears to be fine for my setup.

your system was up for only 10 seconds, if your GPU pulls too much power from the PCI/e bus the CPU will reset. If you have a power supply that does not set the power_ok signal correctly then the CPU will restart before the power overload is corrected. info on the power good signal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_good_signal