Question BSOD: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Source is Kernel Power ?

JohnR1987

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
A few months back I was getting frequent BSOD with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, whenever I played any computer game that was remotely demanding on my system. 'Lighter' games weren't an issue, but after doing some research online I replaced my PSU and it seemed to resolve the issue... for a while.

It's now happening again, and it even sometimes happens when just booting up, although if it doesn't happen in the first 2 minutes it doesn't happen at all.

I checked the Event Viewer and found the error:

Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
User: System
OpCode: Info
Task Category: (63)
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)

I've also ran Sysnative and the results of that can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U6CP5f9HUSTczTOv0iUPPk4pr-PZerSA/view?usp=drive_link

I have a relatively old system, so every chance a component is just dying, but having just bought a house I really cannot afford that, so hoping it's something cheaper to fix than a whole new rig 🙃

Set-up:

Windows 10
ASUS V2 Ranger mobo
Intel Core i7-4790k
GeForce GTX 970
32GB DDR3 RAM

Hopefully that's a decent amount of info to go on. Heavily suspect something just needs to be replaced but hoping to identify the exact cause before spending any money.

Thanks all.

Kernel power event 41 just means your computer shut down for an unknown reason. There are 13 bios updates for your motherboard. Is your bios the most recent one? Is your chipset driver up to date also? While we are at it the OS and gpu drivers up to date?

JohnR1987

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
Kernel power event 41 just means your computer shut down for an unknown reason. There are 13 bios updates for your motherboard. Is your bios the most recent one? Is your chipset driver up to date also? While we are at it the OS and gpu drivers up to date?

Windows is up to date. The GPU wasn't, but is now (although it crashed as soon as installation finished!). I've downloaded the latest chipset drivers from the manufacturer's website so will install and see what happens.

I'll take a look into updating the BIOS when I get the chance. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated 👊