BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR Troubleshoot Help

iTzCrazyDan

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
This issue comes and goes. I had updated my BIOS using EZupdate to solve it once but It has come back. It happens when playing graphically intensive games (Witcher 3 and now the Battlefield 1 Beta. For some reason Overwatch isnt a problem though) but it can also happen when watching a video on YouTube, Twitch, Windows Media Player, VLC etc.

Using BlueScreenView to examine the dump files it points to hal.dll as the cause for the BSoD.

I'm at the point where I dont want to troubleshoot this problem anymore without help

My Rig:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
CPU: intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB MHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980
MB: Asus Maximus VII Hero
PSU: Corsair RM series 850w
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (x3)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N53

Solution
it may have been motherboard helping as well as Asus motherboards have what they call optimized defaults that could overclock CPU without asking you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Can be caused by driver errors or CPU errors. Make sure you have latest BIOS

HAL = A hardware abstraction layer (HAL) is an abstraction layer, implemented in software, between the physical hardware of a computer and the software that runs on that computer. Its function is to hide differences in hardware from most of the operating system kernel, so that most of the kernel-mode code does not need to be changed to run on systems with different hardware. On a PC, HAL can basically be considered to be the driver for the motherboard and allows instructions from higher level computer languages to communicate with lower level components, but prevents direct access to the hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction#Microsoft_Windows

HAL didn't cause error, it just got the blame.

Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone will help you fix it :)

iTzCrazyDan

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
So I had been reading in another thread that this CPU in particular is guilty of overclocking itself. Since I am running a stock cooler It was overheating which can inturrupt the CPU and cause the BSoD I was experiencing.
So I manually went in and lowered the voltage and when Im running graphic intensive programs I turn my cpu fan to full speed for good measure.
I've not experienced problems so far (Knock on Wood).

I really should get a better cooling system but that'll have to wait.
As for my BIOS, the version number is 1104 and when I use EZupdate (Software included with MB) It says it is the latest version, However on the Asus support site there are versions going up to 3103. So Ill have to flash my bios at some point but I really dont want to cause any additional problems.

TL DR: My CPU was overclocking, got too hot and triggered a BSoD. I lowered to Baseclock and increased CPU fan speed.