BSoD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR While Watching YouTube

Jun 21, 2018
EDIT: Just so you know, I have been watching YouTube on Microsoft Edge now for about 2 hours without a BSoD, so I think it's Google Chrome that is causing me to crash, although oddly enough, it seems to only happen while on YouTube on Chrome specifically. I can browse and do whatever on Chrome, as long as it is not YouTube, so this is KINDA solved. I am not terribly happy with using Edge because Chrome is a lot faster, and I would much prefer to use Chrome for YouTube, so if someone can still help me sort this out, I'll be grateful, but if you cannot, it's not the end of the world.

So I get that BSoD only when I watch YouTube, so I followed some online instructions to make a minidump, and I used WhoCrashed to read the dump it says:

On Mon 6/25/2018 1:51:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062518-25765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x198330)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFDB89E51B2028, 0xB6000000, 0x100153)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Can anybody walk me through fixing this?

Specs:
Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 250 Series
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 8GB
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-S2, Gigabyte Technology Co.

Solution
repair shops have spare parts they know work so can use those to find and identify the part that isn't. Beats blindly buying parts hoping it will fix it :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
copy the files here to another folder
upload the copies from other folder to a file sharing web site and show link here

This error is called by the CPU but not necessarily caused by it. IT can be any hardware.
It can also be overclocking software so are you running MSI Afterburner? Or if GPU is an Asus, GPU Tweak 2? remove them if you are.
Can be caused by overheating as well. Clean fans and heatsinks

Its unusual it only happens in 1 browser and not another. It shouldn't make any difference. Do you have latest GPU drivers?

Whocrashed just shows you what crashed, but not why. It likes blaming ntoskrnl but its misleading. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause - if it crashes windows has no choice but to follow. Something else made it crash.

Reactions: chris11d7
Jun 21, 2018

Here is the link: (I deleted the link for privacy on this public forum.)

I checked to see if there were any driver updates, I saw none, I have stock clock, and I don't run those.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/hb5m.html

File: 062518-25765-01.dmp (Jun 25 2018 - 16:51:18)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)]
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-11#ov
It appears you have the latest BIOS installed (from 2014).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Jun 21, 2018

Okay, thank you for your time. As I said, it is not the end of the world if we cannot solve this because I do not get BSoDs while using YouTube on other browsers. I downloaded FireFox this morning, and I'm fine, so far with it. If other replies can fix this, I'll be very happy, because I much prefer Chrome, but if the solution comes down to using another browser, so be it.

Jun 21, 2018
Okay, this might be more complicated than I thought. Now it’s crashing on Edge, and I just got a series of BSoDs as I tried to log in. Please help me with this. Although, it still does seem A LOT more stable while using Edge.

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA errors can be any hardware - Does your monitor have VGA port? Have you tried running PC off the integrated Graphics on motherboard and see if you get same errors?

See if any newer drivers for your wireless card. Any newer drivers for GPU? Since Steam was running when WHEA error occurred, it could be either of these cards (Guessing, I mean, it could be something else but clues so far point at GPU or WIFI card). Both are running older drivers. But generally speaking you don't have any software installed that causes these errors.

Jun 21, 2018
So, what you’re saying is just check for driver updates for my GPU and internet? I can check those when I have access to my computer again. I’m not sure exactly what your first two questions mean; I’m a bit of a technology novice. Could you walk me through getting updates for those drivers? Sorry to ask you to do more work, but I do not have the confidence in myself to get this done without messing something up horribly. Also, is it okay if I delete the link to the dump file download yet, or do you still need it? I just don’t exactly feel comfortable with keeping it available for anyone to download from a link on a public forum.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can delete link if you want to.

I can help with drivers - AMD Graphics card driver package that matches your card - https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
I think you only need the top link - revision number Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 Optional

It appears you have newest drivers for the WIFI card already.

It might be a part of your PC that is causing this error. You may need to get PC repaired by someone who does understand what they are doing. I think its your Graphics card but the new drivers above might fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
share the mimdumps for every bsod, one of them might show us more info. Once we figure out what cause is, you can delete links. There are others who can read dumps and might pop in and offer advice as well. I have to say I am not fully confident about WHEA errors, the causes are so varied that unlike other BSOD, I cannot just say this is reason.

I assume you actually use WiFi as your NIC drivers are old as well. These are the updated version - http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&Langid=1&Level=5&PFid=5&PNid=13

Sound card drivers old as well - https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5993-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version.html

Jun 21, 2018

Okay, so here are the links to the dumps:
(Links Deleted)
I'll download those drivers.

Jun 21, 2018
So, I got the internet one, but I cannot install the sound one... I downloaded the file from the link you provided. There was an installation guide linked on the download website, so I followed it: I went to device manager, right-clicked my sound driver, clicked update, clicked browse, clicked the folder that I put the new driver file in, and my computer kept telling me that I have the best drivers installed already. Also, keep in mind that the dumps I linked were before updating my internet one, so they might still show that the driver is out of date.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/mhYp.html

File: 062718-31984-01.dmp (Jun 27 2018 - 12:48:52)
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File: 062718-29906-01.dmp (Jun 27 2018 - 12:43:58)
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File: 062718-28640-01.dmp (Jun 27 2018 - 12:31:00)
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)
The first and las) dump files were created before any drivers were loaded, therefore the problems is likely hardware. The dumps have pointed to the following:
Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD
IMAGE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

I'm not saying it's your CPU as I don't know enough about BSODs, but consider trying a few CPU tests with different software. Prime95 is one example.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Jun 21, 2018

Well, if it's a CPU hardware problem, I might just have a solution for that. Within the next month or so, I'm upgrading most of the hardware in my PC (with expert help). I will be upgrading my GPU, CPU, and RAM, so if a solution is not reached, perhaps it'll be fixed when I upgrade my computer's parts. I'll look into doing the CPU stress test in a little bit because I am currently eating lunch. I'll keep this threat posted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
two of the errors happened so fast windows didn't load any drivers so it sure looks like hardware One of the PC lasted 13 minutes though so might have time to run PRime95 in that time.

I have seen others have problems like that with those audio drivers

Jun 21, 2018

I have decided what I am going to do about this. It seems like hardware, as you said. I am upgrading my PC with expert help in the very near future. I will be upgrading my CPU, GPU, and RAM. Until then, I will work around the BSoDs (unless they get to the point that I cannot do anything on my PC). If the problem persists after upgrading, I'll take it to a repair shop. If it is still a problem after going to the repair shop, I'll come back to this thread. Surely if it's a problem with one of those bits of hardware, replacing them should fix it, right? Well, thank you for your time, and I hope that upgrading the parts will fix the issue. You have been very helpful! (If replacing the parts stops the BSoDs, I'll come back and mark this thread as "solved" with your previous reply as the best answer.)

Jun 21, 2018
I’ve been planning on buying these upgrades for a long time, so might as well just kill two birds with one stone by upgrading the parts and replacing the faulty one in the process. If it still doesn’t work, I will take it to a repair shop. :)

Jun 21, 2018
I know it has been a long time since I have posted here, but the problem is fixed. Surprisingly, my hard drive was causing the problems. I had taken it to a repair shop today. I had them run a diagnostic before putting my upgrades in, and that’s what they found.