[SOLVED] BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

May 17, 2019
Yesterday I suddenly got a BSOD. It's apparently caused by hal.dll+3ff50 (checked in bluescreenview)

I only have the full dump: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NkL1sjSYZ95VHb096T53NsibCjZxkgOZ

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. FX504GM (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA (ASUStek Computer Inc)
ForceWare version: 430.64
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000LX015-1U7172 (SATA )

Please help me identify the cause and how I can solve this issue

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you got AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 installed? Both these have a driver called ASio.sys that can change the CPU values. It is one possible cause of WHEA errors... there are others.

Do you have MSI Afterburner installed? If so, remove it as well as above applications.
can be caused by over heating
can be hardware or software.

whea errors often blame 2 things
hal.dll = hardware abstraction layer, sites between windows and hardware
ntoskrnl = windows kernel. Controls most of windows functions, sits between applications and hal

neither are cause, they just what crashed.

I will ask a friend to convert the dumps for us.

Reactions: p707

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/C6qd.html

File information:MEMORY.DMP (May 16 2019 - 16:12:34)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

Comment: 2nd RAM module doesn't identify itself. First RAM module says:
SK HynixHMA81GS6CJR8N-VK

Possible System page: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/HelpDesk_Download/
There is a BIOS update available for your system (Version 306). You are using version 303. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
uninstall these, can cause bsod
Sep 24 2015 dtlitescsibus.sys DAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
Dec 28 2015 dtliteusbbus.sys DAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

have you tried running Asus live update and see if you have any new drivers. The bios update could fix it, and the updater can install them.
WHEA errors can be any hardware, what Logitech device have you got? keyboard?

May 17, 2019
Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard.
I checked, it's the correct motherboard.
dtlitescsibus.sys
dtliteusbbus.sys
Deleted.
have you tried running Asus live update and see if you have any new drivers
It says there are no new updates available.
WHEA errors can be any hardware, what Logitech device have you got? keyboard?
A steering wheel. G29.

May 17, 2019
Hi everyone. I updated the BIOS and for a while I had no BSODs. But eventually I got one but for a while it didn't appear again so I forgot about it.
Yesterday I checked something on the Internet and then I got a BSOD. Now a BSOD appears every time a short while after startup. There's no time to do anything. It works fine in safe mode but when I tried a clean startup I got a BSOD

I forgot to mention it earlier but my laptop makes a buzzing sound but in safe mode it sounds okay.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17chid04B4FK7dgysA59sKcK8QyhC0dIy/view (old BSOD)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EMoz08bPyr9OqxVxb7tj-1S1c-Hx5xWY (yesterday's BSOD)

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Logg.html
File information:081719-41828-01.dmp (Aug 17 2019 - 17:11:57)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WindowsUpdateB)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

File information:081719-41718-01.dmp (Aug 17 2019 - 17:17:28)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:081719-38296-01.dmp (Aug 17 2019 - 17:27:10)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:061619-37703-01.dmp (Jun 16 2019 - 04:44:46)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)
Comment: I believe that's WindowsUpdateBox.exe. The debugger truncates the filename.

Why are you not on the latest version of Windows?

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
just ignores the WHEA error...

can't say i seen that file name before, it appears it is part of windows.

So you on 1803 still, You can always download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - advantage to creating USB is you only download the files once. If you tried to use media creation tool to update the install, it might get same error again and you would have to download all the files again

Once USB created, put it in PC
open File explorer
Navigate to USB drive
click on setup.exe
agree to update current install
sit back and let it update you to 1903.

installing 1903 will replace the files that don't seem to be working now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Or do you mean install fails as soon as you try?

Could try this:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
If SFC finished, you may not need to run 2nd part. it is only there as sometimes SFC finds corruption it can't fix, the 2nd command fixes it.

it should have worked in safe mode but no big deal. Didn't seem to fix error though.

So what failed before? making installer or running it??

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would suggest a clean install then - there is no rush, i don't expect you to do it right now.,
copy anything off drive you need to keep, onto cloud servers or USB or another drive if you have it.
once you sure you have everything,

boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

you shouldn't get that error running off the USB. its just the current install that is sick.

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/P6r2.html

File information:091319-49234-01.dmp (Sep 13 2019 - 11:31:46)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: sppsvc.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Software Platform Protection Service is a Microsoft program that enables the download, installation, and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows and its respective applications. It is essential Windows file, which, if removed, may cause licensed applications to run in notification mode. This startup Windows service also randomly checks to ensure that the system is using a registered version of Windows.

that is unusual, wonder what even causes it to crash. I expect this is a legit copy of Windows?

TRENDING THREADS