[BSOD] Whea_Uncorrectible_Error ntoskrnl.exe+25c2fd & hal.dll+395cf

alxajlouny

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hi Folks!

I've been having a persistent BSOD for the past couple of months and it's gotten to the point where I need help figuring out what's wrong. I usually get this BSOD while my machine is under a moderate workload (read: the PC crashes when I'm gaming or streaming; it does NOT crash when I'm just browsing the web or checking email etc.).

This only started happening ~5 months ago. I haven't changed the parts in my build since ~January, so there's no apparent hardware change that would case this.

I do have my i5 4690k overclocked to 4.4ghz on stock voltage, but I've had it at that clock speed every since I got the CPU. The temps on my CPU aren't unusual (37C idle to ~70C under load) and I'm sure I'm getting decent airflow (just dusted out the PC a few weeks ago).

When I checked the dump files on BlueScreenView, they each have the same result. The ntoskrnl.exe+25c2fd & hal.dll+395cf files are having errors/crashing.

Here's a link to my current build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JDBHHN

I also uploaded the MiniDump files and the most recent Memory Dump file to Google Drive (If I'm supposed to upload elsewhere, please let me know):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B77sOSvb3qk6Ym5DSGRCMGphamc

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Alex

Solution
motherboard drivers should be updated. I would check the bios version at the same time. (be sure to update the motherboard audio driver)
bios updates can change the various voltages applied to the cpu. you have the windows generic sound driver for your motherboard, it has known problems but normally the symptom is to hang your graphics card rather that generate a bugcheck.

if you have a overclocked video card you might set it to stock clock rates or under clock it by 100MHz so that it pulls lower power.

my only guess would be that the GPU got warm and started to use too much power, this could cause the voltage to the CPU to fluctuate and generate this type of error. or you have some strange BIOS overclock or voltage settings to...
motherboard drivers should be updated. I would check the bios version at the same time. (be sure to update the motherboard audio driver)
bios updates can change the various voltages applied to the cpu. you have the windows generic sound driver for your motherboard, it has known problems but normally the symptom is to hang your graphics card rather that generate a bugcheck.

if you have a overclocked video card you might set it to stock clock rates or under clock it by 100MHz so that it pulls lower power.

my only guess would be that the GPU got warm and started to use too much power, this could cause the voltage to the CPU to fluctuate and generate this type of error. or you have some strange BIOS overclock or voltage settings to the CPU. (guessing this because of the strange cpu clock rate, you could update the bios or reset it to defaults)

there are various known bugs in some cpus that are exposed when you use mixed memory modules. it is involved to look up these errors in the CPUs. best option would be to retest with only one set of modules from one vendor and see if you still get the same problem.
----------
cpu called the bugcheck because of a cache error in the cpu.
the running process was graphics intensive.
system up time was 1 hr 41 minutes.
(can be a heat related problem)

-----------
note: mixed memory modules running at different speeds
1600MHz and 1333MHz

BIOS Version 2801
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 11/11/2015

Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Z97-A
Version Rev 1.xx

Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz