zeromido

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Specifications:
Motherboard Laptop Model: Dell Latitude E5440
CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U @ 1.90GHz
RAM: SK Hynix 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
HDD: TOSHIBA MQ01ACF032

A couple of days ago, BSOD errors occurred whenever I started Windows (once it gets to the Starting Windows screen). When booting Windows setup or Windows PE, BSOD errors occurred. When booting Ubuntu 14.04, kernel panic occurred. FreeDOS, MS-DOS, Hiren's Boot CD, MemTest86, or HDD Regenerator booted successfully, however. I ran ePSA diagnostics and no errors (except for the failing battery) were detected.

Here's what I tried in a more detailed way:

Booting from a Windows 7 bootable USB flash drive / DVD
I created a Windows 7 bootable USB flash drive (I tried Rufus and Universal USB Installer) and tried to boot from it. However, once it gets to the Starting Windows screen, a BSOD error occurs. I also tried different ISO images and a DVD but BSOD errors still occurred. I tested the same USB flash drive on a PC (the one I'm using to post this) and Windows setup started normally.

Booting from a Windows XP SP3 CD
This time the error occurred half-way through the setup, not when first loading the files.

Booting from AOMEI Partition Assistant bootable media (based on Windows Recovery Environment)
A BSOD occurred after Windows loading files progress bar finished.

Booting from Ubuntu 18.04.4 bootable USB flash drive
Before the Ubuntu splash screen was displayed, kernel panic errors occurred. However, I tested it on my PC and it worked.

Running ePSA diagnostics thorough test mode
All tests were passed except for the battery test.
Battery test results:
Error Code 2000-0131
Validation 101545
Msg: Battery - The battery is not installed

Removing the battery and working on AC power
I did this just to eliminate any doubt about the battery causing the problem.

Running MemTest86 for four passes and no errors were detected

Rebuilding the MBR and changing it to GRUB4DOS (using BootICE from Hiren's Boot CD)

To my wonder, Hiren's Boot CD booted successfully. The included mini Windows XP as well. I managed to rebuild the MBR using BootICE. I also, tried changing it to a GRUB4DOS MBR but BSOD errors still occurred.

Deleting the Windows drive
I used Disk Management from Hiren's Boot CD delete the Windows drive (making it unallocated). I did this to eliminate any Windows trace from the HDD in case some corrupted files were causing the issue.

Scanning for bad sectors on HDD using HDD Regenerator
Magically, just like Hiren's Boot CD, HDD-Regenerator-created bootable media booted successfully.

Attempting to update BIOS (updating never actually started)
I found multiple methods to update the BIOS: (1) executing the BIOS exe under Windows; (2) using SupportAssist; (3) booting from an MS-DOS bootable media and executing the BIOS exe; (4) using the built-in BIOS Flash Update. Obviously, I can't use method 1 or 2 because I can't boot into Windows, so, I tried method 4 and three using these BIOS versions AL14_A00, E5440A10, E5440A12, E5440A15, and E5440A24. I even tried using the same version I have (E5440A11). Also, because of the failing battery, I had to use the /forceit switch to make the update start. It didn't work. After confirming all actions, the system reboots and nothing happens (BIOS not updated).

Changing BIOS settings
I virtually disabled everything that can be disabled. I also tried configuring the internal SATA hard-drive controller to AHCI.

Loading default BIOS settings

Notes:
Windows ISOs, Ubuntu ISO, and BIOS exes were all verified using SHA-1 checksum.
I tried different USB ports.
Some BSOD error codes that I recorded:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with hexadecimal error code 0x0000000a (0x904726fc, 0x0000002, 0x00000001, 0x8ba8fbdf)
BAD_POOL_HEADER with hexadecimal error code 0x000000019
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (I didn't record the hexadecimal error code)
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (I didn't record the hexadecimal error code)
0x0000007e (No error code)
0x0000008e (No error code)

Last edited by a moderator:

zeromido

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Hi zeromido,

I would suggest that the USB ports are faulty.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the owner of this laptop took it back. However, I don't think the problem is with the USB ports because I tried a DVD and the error happened. Also, FreeDOS, MS-DOS, Hiren's Boot CD, MemTest86, and HDD Regenerator booted successfully from USB ports.

It was probably a motherboard issue, but I was too scared to disassemble the laptop and confirm.