[SOLVED] BSOD when booting SSD drive on Toshiba Tecra Z50-A

cssaus

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018
I have a Toshiba Tecra Z50-A (part # PT545A-01W002) with BIOS version 4.30 (26/04/2018) installed running Windows 7 PRO SP1.

I installed a brand new Crucial MX500 SSD drive and used the Toshiba Recovery Drive to load the disk with WIN7.

The install all went well but when the system was going through its many configuration steps I encountered the fatal BSOD. After re-running the Recovery process a number of times, I can't seem to get past the BSOD.

My immediate though is that it's the BIOS but upon checking I appear to have the latest BIOS installed but maybe there's a BIOS setting I have that's causing the issue.

For the time being I've swapped back to the original installed disk with WIN7 and everything is running fine.

Appreciate any advice

P.S. is there a way to upload screen prints of the error I'm getting with this question?

Last edited:
Solution
After much time spent fooling around with BIOS options and several attempts to recover with the Toshiba Recovery Wizard disks I decided to try the Windows 8.1 Pro disks that originally came with my system.

Well believe it or not, using the WIN 8.1 PRO disks I was able to set up the SSD drive with no BSOD screens and boot into Windows.

I've come to the conclusion that there was most likely a software conflict within the WIN 7 recovery disks and the SSD drive causing my problem.

As much I don't really care for WIN 8.1, at least I've got my system up and running.

The reason I haven't gone for WIN 10 is that I run a couple of legacy applications that aren't supported on WIN 10.

cssaus

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018
After much time spent fooling around with BIOS options and several attempts to recover with the Toshiba Recovery Wizard disks I decided to try the Windows 8.1 Pro disks that originally came with my system.

Well believe it or not, using the WIN 8.1 PRO disks I was able to set up the SSD drive with no BSOD screens and boot into Windows.

I've come to the conclusion that there was most likely a software conflict within the WIN 7 recovery disks and the SSD drive causing my problem.

As much I don't really care for WIN 8.1, at least I've got my system up and running.

The reason I haven't gone for WIN 10 is that I run a couple of legacy applications that aren't supported on WIN 10.

Solution