[SOLVED] BSOD When Doing Anything Network Intensive

richie021501

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
Hi all - so I seem to be getting the BSOD whenever I put a certain amount of strain on my network connection. For example, I just got done with a 4 hour Witcher 3 session and had no issues. However afterwards, I opened Microsoft Outlook, as well as a youtube video and a twitch stream. I then got the BSOD as soon as I opened the Twitch stream up. The error seems to be different every time. A couple of the blue screen errors had the stop code "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" while listing Ndu.sys as what failed. Another pointed to netio.sys as having failed. I've read that these drivers are both related to the network.

I believe my drivers are up to date. I downloaded the DriverFix software and ran a scan. The software indicates that there are no issues with my drivers.

I was having this same issue a few months back and somehow it seemed to just stop occurring by itself. However, I just did a Windows reset a couple of days ago and the issue has now popped up again. Anyone have any advice on how I can fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My specs are as follows:

Motherboard: ASROCK X99 Extreme4
Processor: i7-5820K
Graphics Card: GTX 1080Ti
Memory: 32 GB (4 x 8) 2400Mhz (I believe it's GSkill but not 100% sure)
Storage 1: Samsung 250 GB SSD
Storage 2: Toshiba PH3200U 2 TB Hard Drive
Power supply: Corsair RM1000 Watt (I believe it's in OK condition, I bought it new around 03/2016)

Last edited:
Solution
No apology necessary. Fair question.

Regarding resources:

When a program runs it uses memory. The amount of used memory may vary depending on the nature of the program and the data going in and out of memory. Programs should release memory that they no longer need. However if due to a program bug or some conflict with another program the memory will not be released. Then the next request for memory (from any app, process, etc. may fail with some "not enough memory" type error.

That can happen even if the app was closed or relegated too just doing "nothing" in the background. Failure to release the memory causes the problems.

Another example: Your specs include a 250 GB SSD - how full is that drive? If the drive...

richie021501

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History - any error codes or warnings therein?

Thanks for the reply. I've edited my original post to include my specs. I've never used the reliability history tool so I am honestly not sure what to look for. There is 1 warning today related to a failed Windows-Intel update. However this is the only warning I am seeing and this issue has been occurring the last couple of days.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Event Viewer as well.

With a four year old + PSU that would be be my primary suspect. However, the lack of error codes, etc. dispels that to some extent

PSU issues (faltering or failing) tend to have multiple and varying errors.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance leading up to the BSOD's.

Use both Task Manager and Resource Monitor but only one at a time. Look for some app, utility, or process that grabs a resource without some release thus leading to a BSOD.

richie021501

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
Look in Event Viewer as well.

With a four year old + PSU that would be be my primary suspect. However, the lack of error codes, etc. dispels that to some extent

PSU issues (faltering or failing) tend to have multiple and varying errors.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance leading up to the BSOD's.

Use both Task Manager and Resource Monitor but only one at a time. Look for some app, utility, or process that grabs a resource without some release thus leading to a BSOD.

I have opened even viewer and it appears that I have hundreds of warnings and errors in the "administrative events" custom view, which only runs back to 11/13.

Regarding the suggestion in your last line, I apologize but I am not quite sure what is meant by "Look for some app, utility, or process that grabs a resource without some release thus leading to a BSOD", can you please elaborate on this?

Thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
No apology necessary. Fair question.

Regarding resources:

When a program runs it uses memory. The amount of used memory may vary depending on the nature of the program and the data going in and out of memory. Programs should release memory that they no longer need. However if due to a program bug or some conflict with another program the memory will not be released. Then the next request for memory (from any app, process, etc. may fail with some "not enough memory" type error.

That can happen even if the app was closed or relegated too just doing "nothing" in the background. Failure to release the memory causes the problems.

Another example: Your specs include a 250 GB SSD - how full is that drive? If the drive is too full (to me that is beyond 70-80% full) then problems are likely to start.

So what you look for in Resource Monitor (and Task Manager as well) is for any resource not only being heavily used by an app but possibly being completely consumed by that app. Or otherwise struggling to keep up; e.g.,trying to find drive space to write to.

Another useful tool is Process Explorer. You may need to download it via Microsoft's website.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Regarding those errors:

Will start by asking about those administrative events. What specifically is being captured: words, error numbers, etc.?

Do you remember doing anything just before or on 11/13: install a new app, some update perhaps? Could have been automated as well and not necessarily initiated by you.

Any one error constantly appearing? Any patterns to the errors and events? Any certain application or process named? Is a certain component always involved?

Look in Reliability History: much more user friendly and the timeline presentation can be more revealing. You can right click on the errors to get more detailed information. The details may or may not be helpful.

The overall objective being to identify the cause or source of the problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS