BSOD when installing graphics card driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Thanks for taking the time to look at my situation. I have tried as many solutions as I could find on the interwebs, and I am stuck.

Currently, my computer is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter graphics driver because I cannot install the Nvidia driver (388.71). When I try to install the driver I get a BSOD with the stop code "system thread exception not handled" with the "nvlddmkm.sys" as the part that failed. At some point in my attempts to fix everything, I somehow managed to install the newest version of the Nvidia graphics driver. At that point my computer would get the BSOD upon starting up with the stop code "page fault in nonpaged area" and "win32kbase.sys" as the part that failed. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver, using different programs (Driver Easy and DDU), installing old versions of the graphics driver (388.59 and 314.22), but none of that has worked. I have also tried a bunch of other solutions that I list below. They are no particular order.

Malware scan
Memtest86
sfc /scannow
chkdsk /f
Reinstalling windows
Updating windows
Updating all of my other drivers
CCleaner for possible registry errors
Physically reinserting my graphics card and RAM

Below is the info for my computer and the Who Crashed file.

Thanks for all of your help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 470
RAM: 16GB DDR3 RAM
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E
CPU: Intel Core i7 870

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 1/5/2018 4:52:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010518-27421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80EDC9392B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE103E198C010, 0xFFFFF80EDC9392B0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Fri 1/5/2018 4:52:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80EDC9392B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE103E198C010, 0xFFFFF80EDC9392B0, 0x0, 0xD)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Fri 1/5/2018 4:51:07 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010518-30156-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80E673B92B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFB18298C27010, 0xFFFFF80E673B92B0, 0x0, 0xD)

On Fri 1/5/2018 4:48:59 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010518-34718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8007F0892B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFB58FCB4FF4A0, 0xFFFFF8007F0892B0, 0x0, 0xD)

On Fri 1/5/2018 4:10:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010518-32250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80106711806)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80106711806, 0xFFFFBE0AA9419B18, 0xFFFFBE0AA9419360)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 1/5/2018 2:57:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010518-20046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1640E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFB1D25D55988, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80336A2B1D5, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft� Windows� Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Solution
So, as per your PM, couple of suggestions.

First, power supplies and graphics cards more than five years old are PRIMARY suspects for having gone bad. At both idle and under a Furmark or Heaven benchmark load I'd take screenshots of the HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor or Open hardware monitor) sensors, 3 screenshots of full top to bottom expanded HWinfo window to catch all the sensors, and post those here so we can look to see if anything jumps out at us.

First of all, uninstall Open Hardware monitor. Don't ever use that OR HWmonitor. They are both grossly inaccurate on certain chipsets or with some specific sensors. Overall, they are junk programs mostly. Use HWinfo or CoreTemp.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals. HWinfo is great for...

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Thanks Calvin. I currently have a 700 Watt power supply. I probably should have mentioned that this computer has been running with this graphics card just fine for 7 years. The computer started to act weird this summer right before I upgraded to windows 10. That’s when the problems started, but they weren’t immediate and accelerated a couple months ago.

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

I only used the driver program for things that were not the video card, if that helps... I don't know how one would go about deleting all partitions before reinstalling windows, but I did have it do a full reinstall/wipe everything.

You boot from flash drive / dvd. Get to windows setup, then highlight each partition delete it. Then start again

How did you install windows then? Dont use registry cleaners. Programs like this can make things worse

Upload the small dmp files to onedrive then post the link

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I installed from a usb drive. I did a clean install. If that deletes the partitions then I did, otherwise probably not. I can do that if it’ll help.

Also I posted the dump files in my original post. Is that not as good? I’ve never used one drive.

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I reinstalled Windows and deleted the partitions. Still having the same issues. Unfortunately, my dump files are gone now, and I'm not sure why, but my computer is now only saving the most recent dump. The link to the file is below. Please help.

Dump Files

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I am currently wondering if there might be a problem with either my power supply or my graphics card. I borrow a ATI Radeon 4650 which works just fine on my computer, but it does not plug directly into the power supply or require that much power. So, I am not sure if that really gives me any new information.

So, as per your PM, couple of suggestions.

First, power supplies and graphics cards more than five years old are PRIMARY suspects for having gone bad. At both idle and under a Furmark or Heaven benchmark load I'd take screenshots of the HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor or Open hardware monitor) sensors, 3 screenshots of full top to bottom expanded HWinfo window to catch all the sensors, and post those here so we can look to see if anything jumps out at us.

First of all, uninstall Open Hardware monitor. Don't ever use that OR HWmonitor. They are both grossly inaccurate on certain chipsets or with some specific sensors. Overall, they are junk programs mostly. Use HWinfo or CoreTemp.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals. HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING else, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. Always select the "Sensors only" option when running HWinfo.

In order to help you, it's often necessary to SEE what's going on, in the event one of us can pick something out that seems out of place, or other indicators that just can't be communicated via a text only post. In these cases, posting an image of the HWinfo sensors or something else can be extremely helpful. Here's how:

*How to post images in Tom's hardware forums

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

When it comes to temperature issues, taking care of the basics first might save everybody involved a lot of time and frustration. Check the CPU fan heatsink for dust accumulation and blow or clean out as necessary. Avoid using a vacuum if possible as vacuums are known to create static electricity that can, in some cases, zap small components. Other areas that may benefit from a cleaning include fans, power supply internals, storage and optical drives, the motherboard surfaces and RAM. Keeping the inside of your rig clean is a high priority and should be done on a regular basis using 90 psi or lower compressed air from a compressor or compressed canned air.

Use common sense based on what PSU your compressor is set to. Don't "blast" your motherboard or hardware to pieces. Start from an adequate distance until you can judge what is enough to just get the job done. When using canned air use only short blasts moving from place to place frequently to avoid "frosting" components.

Also, regarding the card and the fact that USUALLY there have been multiple driver updates, even when you've recently installed Windows, by the time you get here and are troubleshooting, it's probably worth doing the following. Do it in safe mode, otherwise you don't always get rid of all the old registry settings and files. If they are loaded into memory or are actively being used, without being in safe mode, you might still have problems.

How to boot into safe mode in Windows 10

Once you've downloaded the DDU and new GPU card drivers, or whatever driver version you intend to use, and are in safe mode, do the following.

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

And if you need to do the Windows installation over again because you did not actually do a CLEAN install, using the prescribed, recommended, best methods, the following outlines EXACTLY how it SHOULD be done, for best effect. I would follow doing this with an immediate safe mode, DDU and clean driver install because Windows 10 will automatically install some version of the AMD driver package, and not in the best, cleanest way possible.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

Solution

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
WOW! Thank you for all of that information. I am trying to do everything you mentioned. Here is my progress:

1. I'm not sure what Open Hardware monitor is, and I am pretty sure I never installed it. So, I think I'm good on that level.
2. I took screenshots using HWinfo. [strike]I will post those as soon I can figure that out.[/strike] They are posted below.
3. I tried to run Heaven benchmark, but got this message, "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP100.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." I tried reinstalling it and received the same message.
4. I tried running FurMark and I get the following error, "FurMark requries an OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics controller. Startup failed. NVIDIA Geforce 6 and higher with the latest Forceware drivers) or ATI Radeon x1000 and higher (with the latest Catalyst drivers) are good choice!" Twice when I tried to run it, my computer got the BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error. The first time, it seemed that my computer had tried to update the gpu driver. I DDU'd it. The second time, after the computer restarted it was fine (no drivers updated). Now, when I try to run FurMark I just get the error and no BSOD. I am not sure why that is.
GsoCa5j.png

0ZPyIn9.png

5tFhb7o.png

Was your Windows 10 installation an "upgrade" or did you do a clean install?

I think your OS is boofed. I'd highly recommend that you back up any important files and do a clean install. Certainly the problem COULD probably be fixed/repaired, but finding WHAT is causing the problem and then fixing it, if it's even possible, usually takes FAR longer than simply doing a clean install. If you'd like to simply go that route, which I recommend at this point, you can do so as using the link to the Windows 10 clean install that I provided above. Not being able to even install the Nvidia drivers is a big problem, and until you can do so there isn't much else that will help.

I realize you have already "reinstalled" Windows, but that is not the same as doing a clean install.

Take care to follow all of the steps EXACTLY as outlined in the tutorial, including disconnecting any secondary drives except the USB drive or optical drive with the Windows installer on it that you will use to install from. This is particularly important when there may be secondary drives that have, in the past, also had Windows installed on them and have not had the boot partitions on those drives removed. Simply formatting an old C: partition on a drive does not also remove the hidden boot or recovery partitions automatically. You need to remove them during the installation using the "Custom" option in the installer.

Your power supply voltages look ok, which does not absolutely mean it is, but preliminary sensor data doesn't look like something is wrong with it at least which is a good sign. Of course, without being able to put it under a solid load, it's hard to say if that would be the same as it does in your idle screenshot.

Right now I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's either the graphics card or something in the Windows OS/Configuration.

Do you know if you have the latest motherboard bios installed? If not, I would definitely do that.

It also wouldn't hurt to reset the hardware tables if you DO already have the latest bios installed by powering off, removing the cmos battery from the motherboard, putting it back after two minutes, power back up, go into bios and select the "optimal default" or "setup default" settings, save settings, exit and boot into windows to see if there is any change. Doing that in addition to a clean install should eliminate any chance this is a configuration problem.

If you reset the bios, have the latest bios, do a clean install of windows followed by a clean install of the GPU card drivers, IF you can install the GPU card drivers, and you STILL have a problem, then I'd lean towards the card being the problem.

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

I did go this route. I was able to pretty much follow the steps. There were a couple of issues with it though.

1. Check that the software and hardware you mostly use are comptible with Windows 10 and have drivers available, even if your system has already passed the compatibility check. Download and save these drivers to a suitable DVD, flash drive or external disk so that in the event you need to install them later, you can do so without needing to go find them when it's no longer convenient.
Way back when I upgraded to Windows 10, I used the compatibility checker, and it said I was good to go. I can't seem to find that anymore, but my computer is still the same (maybe except for the RAM).

4. Before you begin the installation process, it might also be a good idea to ensure that your BIOS is set to UEFI or compatibility mode. Legacy modes that may have worked fine with Windows 7 may create installation or hardware issues during or after the installation of Windows 10.
Nowhere in my BIOS setting could I find anything about UEFI, compatibility mode or legacy mode. So, I could not change any settings related to this.

Did this without any complications.

When Windows 10 installed, my display settings still seemed like the graphics card drivers were not installed. I went to the device manager and saw that my computer recognized the graphics card. Getting a little excited, I went to the display settings to change them, and then my computer crashed with the same BSOD...

Yes, after the Windows 10 installation you STILL need to install the graphics drivers from the Nvidia website. It is also recommended that you do the CLEAN install method of installing the drivers, as outlined here, and it is important that you run the DDU in safe mode prior to installing the new drivers, even though the OS installation is new.

How to boot into safe mode in Windows 10

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

Also, I guess I just noticed how old your hardware REALLY is, being around 8 years old, at least, by now. The GTX 470 was released in or around 2010 and production had likely stopped by the end of 2011, so that's a fairly long run for a graphics card and since the motherboard is likely just as old as the card, or older, who knows. It could simply be that the graphics card or the motherboard are showing signs of impending failure, or that the power supply, despite being 700w and not looking particularly suspect on the HWinfo sensor readings could be to blame.

As earlier, I suspect the graphics card though especially since you said another GPU card works fine in the system.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

You might simply want to upgrade the graphics card, probably to something from the 700 series card family, because I really doubt, given the age of your motherboard, that it will support any of the UEFI cards from the 900 or 1000 series family or equivalent period AMD cards either.

The 700 series cards had both UEFI and Legacy bios support, so those are both a lot more capable than what your currently have and a lot more likely to be supported by your motherboard bios.

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
First of all, thank you so much for your timely responses. In a quite frustrating process, that makes my life much easier!

I followed the instructions for a clean install of the graphics card drivers. I did restart my computer in safe mode to do the final installation. After the installation, I restarted my computer normally and it failed it start, immediately giving the BSOD.

You are quite right about it being an old computer. I built the computer in late 2010. Since then, I have only upgraded the RAM. The power supply is a OCZ ModXStream Pro.

I had GTX 750 on the way, so I am glad you recommended the 700 series.

How old is that PC Power and Cooling power supply? Yes, it was a good PSU when new, but that unit is probably pretty old too. Most modern high end PSUs are warranted for 10 years, but back then, any PSU that lasted five years in a gaming system was considered to have had a highly successful lifespan.

Might be worth trying another PSU in the system, even though it worked fine with that lower end graphics card, because between a unit that does not not PCI power from the PSU and one that does, there can be wildly different results.

bigalj7

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
The PSU is a little over 7 years old... I'll try to borrow one from work/someone else if I can. It sounds like it might be worth waiting until I get the new graphics card before spending money on a new power supply.

Yes, I would not BUY a power supply at this stage, but merely borrow or use another one for testing.

Obviously, the new card SHOULD tell you if the card is the problem, but not always. The new card COULD do the same thing or something else altogether, if the PSU is the issue. Could be both too. That is not uncommon around here. More often than you would think a faulty or dying PSU takes other hardware out with it, but usually that is when the PSU is a cheap model and has poor or nonexistent protections. Even a good PSU CAN have similar issues though if the protections fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.