[SOLVED] Bsod when motherboard temperature is above 47C/116F?

Mar 3, 2021
My newly built pc constantly bsod under stress tests or games. What seems to be common for those crashes is they happen few minutes after system (motherboard) is above 46 C. If I keep this temperature under 44 system was able to run occt power test for 40 minutes (and I stopped it)

It seems totally strange for me. Could it be faulty motherboard?

It's msi mpg z490 gaming plus

Solution
I replaced SSD and issue seems to be fixed.
I am 80% sure, I confirmed it with 50 minutes power stress test with reduced case fans, but it might happen again in future so I am not 100% sure.

So my initial thought was right: if system bsod and after a bsod there is no disk visible in bios then it is probably disk.

Drive was pny cs3030 512gb

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
46 C is not a high temperature for any CPU. And if your computer even under stress stay under 80 C, it is OK.

Are you sure you are looking at the right temperature? If so your computer probably has some other problem.

Mar 3, 2021
Hey I am totally sure. Maybe I am not a hardware guy but computer programmer for 10 years, so not total newb 😊 cpu goes to 82 under this test, gpu to 70.
Every time it happens nvme disk disappears from bios and I need to turn off PC for a moment to let it reappear. And I have to wait 5 minutes until pc cool to be able to boot into windows again.

Definitely it's some hardware problem here. I have used gtx 1060 in this PC, it was the suspect but I am able to crash this system also in stress test which not involve gpu, if I only reduce case fans rpm to heat the motherboard

Mar 3, 2021
Aaand here we go again. I was running CPU stress test. It was running fine for 35 minutes with motherboard temp 42 C.
Then I Turned off case fans to heat motherboard a little bit and when it reached 47 = bsod.

Same thing happen if I will run GPU stress test but a lot quickier and it happens even if I have full fans.

Only solution to make it stable is to make graphic card fan 100% to 4000rpm then this fan cools also the motherboard sensor section and that way I am able to run power stress test im occt for any time (motherboard temp is approx 42 in this case)

Mar 3, 2021
I am thinking about returning CPU GPU motherboard ram and disk and buying other models because something is totally wrong. Motherboard should withstand 70 C at least.

I run my recent laptop up to 95 C and nothing except throttling was happening

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
I am thinking about returning CPU GPU motherboard ram and disk and buying other models because something is totally wrong. Motherboard should withstand 70 C at least.

I run my recent laptop up to 95 C and nothing except throttling was happening
Unfortunately, MSI has problems with defective mainstream class MBs. If possible, check your memory, disk and video adapter in another MB.

Mar 3, 2021
I don't have such possibility, but I can return components for few next days and get a full refund, and I think I am going to do it.

What other z490 motherboard you can recommend?

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
I don't have such possibility, but I can return components for few next days and get a full refund, and I think I am going to do it.

What other z490 motherboard you can recommend?
[/Q
GigabyteZ490 Aorus Elite. ASUS Prime Z490-A in Newegg. but they have a higher price. Also I have an idea. Perhaps you have overheating nvme, buy a cheap SATA3 120GB SSD, install Windows and repeat actions.

Mar 3, 2021
GigabyteZ490 Aorus Elite. ASUS Prime Z490-A in Newegg. but they have a higher price. Also I have an idea. Perhaps you have overheating nvme, buy a cheap SATA3 120GB SSD, install Windows and repeat actions.
I was also suspecting that, however disc is mounted under radiator which come with the motherboard. Smart reports 33*C degree in moment of crash so it doesn't seem to overheat.

I see that many asus tuf z490 motherboards bought in our local shop has negative reviews about bent pins so I guess I would go with gigabyte

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
I was also suspecting that, however disc is mounted under radiator which come with the motherboard. Smart reports 33*C degree in moment of crash so it doesn't seem to overheat.

I see that many asus tuf z490 motherboards bought in our local shop has negative reviews about bent pins so I guess I would go with gigabyte
[/ QUOTE
If it is possible to return components with an existing problem, then do it.

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
My newly built pc constantly bsod under stress tests or games. What seems to be common for those crashes is they happen few minutes after system (motherboard) is above 46 C. If I keep this temperature under 44 system was able to run occt power test for 40 minutes (and I stopped it)

It seems totally strange for me. Could it be faulty motherboard?

It's msi mpg z490 gaming plus
Does your CPU have an integrated video core? Did you do tests without a video adapter?

Mar 3, 2021
Does your CPU have an integrated video core? Did you do tests without a video adapter?
No, i dont have integrated GPU unfortunately. But i did a CPU stress test with case fans Turned off and when system temperature reached 47 C then it crashed. CPU was 88 C at that moment, GPU at 51 C.

But CPU i dont think its a issue because this system crashes easily with GPU benchmark when system reaches 47C while GPU is a 72 C and CPU is 33 C

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
No, i dont have integrated GPU unfortunately. But i did a CPU stress test with case fans Turned off and when system temperature reached 47 C then it crashed. CPU was 88 C at that moment, GPU at 51 C.

But CPU i dont think its a issue because this system crashes easily with GPU benchmark when system reaches 47C while GPU is a 72 C and CPU is 33 C
It's a shame that you cannot test components on another motherboard to confirm or rule out a malfunction mb

Mar 3, 2021
Cool, you probably mean "its unfortunate that i can't check".

I will borrow some old GPU tommorow and replace it and check if it helps, otherwise I will return mobo proc ram and disk

Mar 3, 2021
I replaced SSD and issue seems to be fixed.
I am 80% sure, I confirmed it with 50 minutes power stress test with reduced case fans, but it might happen again in future so I am not 100% sure.

So my initial thought was right: if system bsod and after a bsod there is no disk visible in bios then it is probably disk.

Drive was pny cs3030 512gb

Solution