Question BSOD When My PC Wakes From Sleep Mode

Vinomadd

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Hello everyone.

My problem is that when I use sleep mode, on waking, the pc BSOD's with messages like "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and sometimes KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. The strange thing is that if I just leave the pc on, this doesn't happen, like ever! But it happens almost every time if I use sleepmode.

I just got this computer and it did it on the very first day. Unfortunately, the people I bought it from are being evasive and probably just trying to run out the warranty so I'm out of luck for trying rollbacks or getting help from them.

I have already tried using Windows' built in memory scanner and it found no trouble.

PC SPECS:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
14nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)

Motherboard
ASRock A320M-HDV R3.0 (AM4)

Graphics
K242HQL (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (MSI)

Storage
476GB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS30512GTTD (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA )

Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 F

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Thank you for anything you can do to help me!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The issue could be either with software or with hardware.

For software fix, do this:
Open Power Options, on the left click on "Choose what the power button does".
Make sure "When I press the power button" is set to "Shutdown".
Click the link "Change settings that are currently unavailable", and uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)".
Click the "Save changes" button.
Go back to Power Options window.
Click the "Change plan settings" link on your selected power plan.
Click "Change advance power settings"
On the Power options window, scroll to "Sleep" and click the "+" to expand it.
Now click the "+" next to "Allow hybrid sleep", click on "Settings" and switch it to "Off"
Click "OK" and "Apply", then reboot.
Test sleep mode.

For hardware fix, i need to know your PSU make and model (or part number).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Provided that your issue isn't with software, it could be with your PSU where your PSU doesn't support C6 and higher CPU sleep states, hence the BSoD on wake up. There are 2 ways to counter that:
  1. Go to BIOS and disable C6 and higher CPU sleep states. E.g set your CPU sleep state to C5 and look if you get BSoD on wakeup. If you do, back to BIOS and set C4, test again, etc.
  2. Buy a new, up-to-the-date PSU that supports higher CPU sleep states. Some PSUs, especially older models doesn't support C6 and higher CPU sleep states since back then when those units were designed and made, those CPU sleep states weren't a thing.

Of course, you can avoid putting the PC to sleep altogether. This won't fix the issue but at least you won't get any BSoDs anymore.

Vinomadd

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Not having access to sleep mode is not a fix and should not have even been suggested.

Where in the UEFI will I find these options? I'm unfamiliar with them and don't know where to look.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I gave you 2x pieces of solid advice of what to do. And you downvote my reply because i also suggested what you don't want to hear?
Not cool, not cool at all.

In BIOS disable AMD’s Cool ‘n’ Quiet technology and CPU sleep states are under Deep Sleep option. Where to find those? Dig out your MoBo manual and read it for a change.

Vinomadd

Reputable
May 9, 2016
I gave you 2x pieces of solid advice of what to do. And you downvote my reply because i also suggested what you don't want to hear?
Not cool, not cool at all.

In BIOS disable AMD’s Cool ‘n’ Quiet technology and CPU sleep states are under Deep Sleep option. Where to find those? Dig out your MoBo manual and read it for a change.

No. The blue screen on waking from sleep mode problem was a memory issue that I have resolved. YOU tried to have me screwing around with the UEFI. The instructions you gave in the very first post were incorrect. Thank you, your help is no longer desired.

With apologies to the rest of the forum.

If someone knows how to diagnose random freezing I do still have that issue.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS