BSOD when playing

Jun 9, 2018
Hello, recently when I play games (Fortnite to be specific) I get BSOD after few minutes of playing... sometimes it's ok and I can play for few hours and sometimes I get BSOD after 5 minutes or so. Lately everything freezes and I get black screen on all monitors and then PC restarts automatically so I don't even see the blue screen. I tried to look to minidump file but only thing I found out is memory_corruption and that it's caused probably by some faulty driver. But I don't know which one.

Minidump file: https://ufile.io/c35nc

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/H5G3.html

File: 062418-7796-01.dmp (Jun 24 2018 - 09:40:34)
BugCheck: [ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (FC)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/
You have this BIOS: VERSION: 2003 DATE: 09/19/2016
The latest BIOS is_: VERSION: 3805 DATE: 05/25/2018
Note: Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you install latest BIOS, also update Intel Management engine Interface (its in the chipset section) to latest version as they are a matching set. there have been 9 BIOS versions since yours, so updating it may be all you need to fix errors. - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

See manual on page 2.2 for instructions on updating bios over internet - Your manual - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/E10719_Z170_PRO_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/ulBc.html

File: 062818-5671-01.dmp (Jun 28 2018 - 09:50:16)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)]
Probably caused by: Ntfs.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

This crash happened after the new BIOS was installed.

The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite) Remove any overclocks.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTFS.sys - New Technology File System. wonder if its ram as perhaps Fortnite is just bigger than the other games and uses more ram?

Try running memtst86 on your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Any error count higher than 0 is too many and probably explains BSOD. Need to remove/replace the stick.

Other option is check hard drive using HDtune and look on the Health tab so it can run a SMART test

Its AI suite all right, but I don't think PC is overclocked. Not blaming it, just agreeing with Gardenman, he always highlights that file but misses ASio.sys which is more of a clue to programs true name.

Colif

Win 11 Master
afd.sys is networking, possibly the LAN drivers. You appear to have the latest from Intel installed already

is ram running at right speed? 3000 mhz seems a strange speed. I see its the XMP setting for ram, hmmm.. seems it might be okay as mobo supports that speed. Maybe turn of XMP until we figure this out

Have you run memtest yet?

oldest driver on system belongs to AI Suite.

Jun 9, 2018
I ran memtest but with both sticks at once, everything was ok. It was happening before installing AI Suite, I got it from ASUS when I was updating BIOS, so I downloaded and installed other drivers too.

Colif

Win 11 Master
running memtest on 2 sticks at once is a waste of time. If you did get an error, you wouldn't be able to tell which stick caused it

Fortnite seems to be a test of many PC

Try running driver verifer (see below ) but before we get there, it has a habit of causing a boot loop so to avoid it, we take a few precautions
open search and 1) type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
create a new Restore Point now for C-drive

then if you get stuck, you can boot off a win 10 installer - See here to download the the Windows 10 media creation tool and create a Bootable USB

and then change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore and choose restore point you just made

can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us.

Jun 9, 2018
Well if the memtest on both sticks at once showed no errors, does that mean both sticks are ok then? I tried the driver verifier already and when I did I got stuck in BSOD loop. But gonna try it again and see if it get stucks again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, ram should be fine, I was just explaining why not to run it on multiple sticks at once.

If you make a system restore point and have a win 10 installer, it should be fairly easy to boot off it and run system restore and roll back to newly created restore point. I try to give people a way out as I have seen it boot loop on people before. There is a reason I don't suggest it right away :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, that doesn't help. Need to keep looking... have you installed any new hardware recently?

this will check if its windows -
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

its not being consistent, every error is different code and different cause, that is why i thought it might be ram.

dwm = desktop windows manager. Normally suspect GPU drivers but you have latest - ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (fc) isn't clear what cause is.
NTFS.sys - Windows File System - System Thread exceptions aren't clear what cause is.
afd = network, once again you have latest drivers (see below error, these apply to same error)
play.exe is a game (Teletubbies?) - KMNDE exceptions are normally drivers, the one you got points at it being a driver

It isn't anything old or bad tripping verifer up

Specs
Motherboard - Asus Z170 PRO GAMING (latest BIOS)
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (Stock speed)
RAM - 16gb Kingston (running in XMP profile) - did you reduce its speed?
GPU - AMD Radeon something.

what else am I missing? I can't tell what else you have, dumps only tell me so much

Jun 9, 2018
Did SFC and DISM few times already, tried reducing RAM speed to 2133 or whatever is default but didn't help, they are normally 3000MHz and were working for more than a year now.

Anyway I played yesterday for few hours and everything was good, so I will test it few more days and maybe it's been fixed somehow or when I get another BSOD I will post more.

Jun 9, 2018
GPU: MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G
SSD: Samsung Evo 960 (250 GB)
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB

Windows is on SSD of course.

And I did clean win 10 reinstall after it started happening.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just gathering it all together so i can see what i might have missed

Specs
Motherboard - Asus Z170 PRO GAMING (latest BIOS)
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (Stock speed) - have you run intel processor diagnostic tool?
RAM - 16gb Kingston (running in XMP profile) errors happen out of XMP as well.
GPU - AMD MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G - latest drivers installed
SSD: Samsung Evo 960 (250 GB)
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB

What PSU?

Errors so far
dwm = desktop windows manager. Normally suspect GPU drivers but you have latest - ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (fc) isn't clear what cause is.

NTFS.sys - Windows File System - System Thread exceptions aren't clear what cause is.
afd = network, once again you have latest drivers (see below error, these apply to same error) = KMOSE Exception not handled
play.exe is a game (Teletubbies?) - KMNDE exceptions are normally drivers, the one you got points at it being a driver
bf1 - MEMORY MANAGEMENT

Driver verifer finds no problems so it shouldn't be software

Whatever cause is, its hardware and its affecting data as each error is different.
things that affect data
CPU - run intel processor diagnostic
RAM - tested
SSD/HDD - run HDTune
Motherboard - though only as everything runs on it.
PSU (as PSU supplies power to everything, if its not constant it can cause corruption) - no real tests for PSU, have to look at everything else 1st. Same applies for motherboard
Only real way to confirm its motherboard or PSU is to use known working spares. Most people don't have those so we test everything else first. Once we know everything else works, we look at them.