Question BSOD when setting ram speed to 2400mhz. Really need help! :)

Jan 11, 2020
Hi guys. I recently upgraded to a Aorus x570 Elite and Ryzen 3700x. Formatted and reinstalled windows. All of the correct drivers are on the system. My issue is when I set my ram to its default speed of 2400mhz, I cant load into windows, it blue screens instantly. I tried going down a speed to 2133mhz and it works perfectly. I did try to update to the latest bios to solve the issue, but it didn't work. The ram has been used in a previous system and worked at 2400mhz just fine.

Full system details:

GPU : GIGABYTE 1060 (OLD)
PSU: CORSAIR CX650 BRONZE (OLD)
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2400MHZ 8GBX2 DDR4 (OLD)
CPU: RYZEN 3700X (NEW)
MOBO: AORUS X570 ELITE (NEW)

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit? If you don't know, run CPU-Z and click on the SPD tab. Select one of your DIMM slots from the drop down menu at the top left and look at the "Part number" field.

Also, EXACTLY which DIMM slots do you have the memory installed in?

EXACTLY what BIOS version do you have installed?

Jan 11, 2020
What is the EXACT model of your memory kit? If you don't know, run CPU-Z and click on the SPD tab. Select one of your DIMM slots from the drop down menu at the top left and look at the "Part number" field.

Also, EXACTLY which DIMM slots do you have the memory installed in?

EXACTLY what BIOS version do you have installed?

Hi Darkbreeze. Thank you for your response.

The ram modules are Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

And they're installed in A1 and B1.

Update to the F11 BIOS first. That is the version you want to be on. The issue is not the BIOS, per se, but configuration and possibly model.

Before you update to the F11 BIOS, shut down and move the memory to the A2 and B2 slots which are the correct slots and the only slots that should be populated for ANY and ALL dual channel four DIMM slot DDR4 consumer motherboards. All. No exceptions. If for ANY reason you cannot run two matching DIMMs that came together in the A2 and B2 slots then there is a physical problem with the memory, or with the motherboard, or with the CPU (As in, bent pins) or the memory is not compatible with the motherboard.

For now, put them in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket with the fourth slot being the closest to the edge of the motherboard.

Then, update to BIOS version F11.

Then, do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows:

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

The memory you have IS on the motherboard QVL and Corsair compatibility support lists, so it should not be a problem of incompatibility. If none of this helps, then there is either something wrong with the memory kit, the motherboard or the CPU.