BSOD when trying to boot into Windows 7

Jimpson

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
I recently started working on a pc that a friend of mine bought me, that he got for free from a friend of his. I'm not the best but i know my way around more than he does.

I'll start by giving you specs:
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) Motherboard
i7-2600k w/ Corsair H100i AIO
Patriot Memory 2 x 4GB 1600 MHZ
2x EVGA GTX 560Ti in SLI
Apevia 1100W PS
Hitachi 750GB 2.5" HDD w/ Windows 7

I don't really think the specs matter all that much, but I'm getting a blue error screen right after trying to boot into Windows. The windows screen appears with a loading symbol of some sort and then crashes. After that, the blue error screen appears for no longer than a second and the pc reboots on it's own. As soon as the system powers on, there is a message saying:

Disk Information: No hard disk detected!

Then proceeds to bring up the Windows Error Recovery Screen with all of the Safe mode prompts. None of which work, and they all send me to the same blue error screen.

The HDD is detectable in all of the SATA ports in the BIOS, but is only recognized on the start-up screen when its in either port 7 or 8. Still the same results as before though. I've tried 3 different SATA cables in all 8 of the SATA ports on the MB.

Im thinking I'll have to do a fresh install of Windows, and make him upgrade to an SSD while I'm at it, but I'm hoping someone will tell me otherwise.

Is the fresh install the only option here or am I overlooking something simple?

Solution
Presuming the crash code is 0z0000007b, have you tried setting the SATA controller to a different mode (IDE, AHCI and RAID) on the Intel controller? Ports 7 and 8 are on the Marvell SE9128 controller and I doubt the HDD would have been connected to that controller when the OS was installed.
Presuming the crash code is 0z0000007b, have you tried setting the SATA controller to a different mode (IDE, AHCI and RAID) on the Intel controller? Ports 7 and 8 are on the Marvell SE9128 controller and I doubt the HDD would have been connected to that controller when the OS was installed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS