Question BSOD when trying to initialise new m.2 nvme ssd

Jun 28, 2021
I've been helping a friend build a computer as he has historically ended up with crap overpriced pre builts. Its been up and running for a few weeks with the OS (windows 10) on an old SSD of mine and 4tb opitcal drive. He's just bought a Firecuda 510 1tb PCIe NVME m.2 and we're now having problems and I have no experience of these so was hoping to pick your brains.

Motherboard: Gigabyte b450m ds3h
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Ram: 16gb DDR4 Vengence 3200mhz
GPU: GTX1060

I fitted it in the m.2 slot, booted back up, went into drive manager to initialise and format the drive. When I loaded it up it said I had a new drive that needed to initialise, clicked ok and then BSOD. When I rebooted I went back into drive manager, I could see the new drive there but if I try and do anything with it I get a BSOD and it shuts down.

Am I missing something obvious? Is it to do with the PCIe lane management? GPU is in the 16x slot, there is also a 4x slot but the GPU won't fit there as the USB 3 header is in the way so couldn't try it as a quick rule out, would need a PCIe extension cable which don't want to fork out for on a whim. Or is there a bios setting I need to change? These are the only things I can think of but I'm a bit lost in all honesty, spent a while flicking through forum & reddit posts but not really found a directly comparable issue/fix.

THanks in advance for any advice.