BSOD when updating gpu drivers

shade252

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
So I just recently bought a computer from walmart build your own cyberpowerpc and the graphics card that I chose was the radeon r9 270x and everything was was perfect the very first time i ran skyrim with an awesome 60 fps but then soon later, my computer restarted and when I booted up my pc again, it black screened. I uninstalled the gpu drivers in safe mode and restarted my computer again and everything was fine but when I went to device manager, the display adapter was set to micro soft basic display adapter. So I did what any person would do and went to Amd's website and installed the latest drivers but it black screened mid installation. I even waited a few hours to see maybe the screen went black because it was updating the display but no such luck, still a black screen. I restarted my computer just to make sure but I got a black screen on start up aswell. So I went back into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers and just like before, everything back to normal but again, had the Microsoft basic display driver. Please help! I'm really desperate at this point and have no idea what else to do. I'm really hoping that it is a software issue because I don't want to pay for another piece of hardware only to have it not fix my problem.

shade252

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Well shoot I was hoping that I didn't have to do that.. But I guess I'll have to go and have a talk with walmart\cyberppower and try to get this replaced. Thanks for the reply friend!

no problem. i've seen gpus do that in the past. understand there are two types of rendering engines in a gpu. a 2d one and a 3d one. it's possible for the gpu to function in safemode because safe mode had AERO disabled and safemode only loads basic ms drivers for the gpu, as a result it works strictly with the 2d rendering engine. however when the 3d rendering engine fails no driver in existence will make it work again. typical signs of this are failing to load into "normal" windows, failure for the gpu to be recognized by driver software, and crashing during the install of driver software.

sound familiar?

anyway, yeah, i'd say it's a pretty safe bet the gpu is toast.