[SOLVED] BSOD when updating windows

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi I have just gone to update windows 10 and I had a BSOD The error was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. So windows 10 repaired itself and I have a BSOD viewer and the driver that caused it is ntoskrnl.exe. I have found that my storage drive flagging up in caution on Crystal disk. I think that is unrelated as no OS things are on that drive. My SSD M.2 drive is what the OS is on and that currently has 86% health. Windows is not even using the storage drive for paging. The only drive that is set for paging is my OS SSD. My SSD is 7 years old in October and it has 93578GB total host reads and 35662GB total host writes and the drive is a Samsung 512gb. I have already started backing up all my documents just as a precaution. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Solution
I found this which may be helpful: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/re...-blue-screen-with-windows-10-updates.3094784/

It links to the Microsoft forums, where the suggestion is to run AutoRuns and uncheck the box beside of that driver (ArcSec.sys) to prevent it from loading.

You may also need to uncheck ArcCtrl.sys too if you see it listed. I don't see it listed in the dump though.

One person said they were able to update Windows after they did this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

page faults in non paged area are normally driver errors. the non paged area is in ram.

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi thanks for replying I will get the Mini-Dump linked shortly. I'm hopefully upgrading my pc in the next few weeks as the everything apart from the GPU and RAM is turning 7 years old this year.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't let the PC know. I planned an upgrade last year and 3 days before I replaced my old PC, my GPU decided it was a good time to start to die. I stopped using it so as it keep some life in it.

7 years is a good run, I think longest time I used one was about that. Got one in 2008, replaced in 2015.

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Don't let the PC know. I planned an upgrade last year and 3 days before I replaced my old PC, my GPU decided it was a good time to start to die. I stopped using it so as it keep some life in it.

7 years is a good run, I think longest time I used one was about that. Got one in 2008, replaced in 2015.
It's always the case you buy new things for the dam things and then something else decides to go haha. My pc before this one had a meltdown. Fallout 4 had just come out so I got a slightly better gpu as I had a GTX 8800 at the time and the CPU fan had failed while I was playing Fallout 4 it was a Athlon 64 X2 6400+. Upon further inspection as to why it had died I found the CPU had gone nuclear and melted the CPU and socket together. I had that for about 10 years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That sounds like what I did with wow. Although it just killed GPU and since PC had an AGP slot at time it was getting really hard to get them, so I had to get an all new PC to replace it. I have had dying GPU's kill windows before, but that hasn't happened for the last 10 years. I have started to be more picky about what power supply I use, it could be that.

I bought a new GPU for my last PC and my speakers which had worked for 12+ years before decided that was a good time to start to die. So I was thinking the problem was the new thing, not an old thing that had always worked before. Tricky.

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Same here with the Power Supplies I had one go bang it was a cheap rubbish thing since then I've been using Corsair and have been spot on. That is a tricky one. My rig though hasn't all been smooth sailing I had a GTX 780 before I got the RTX 2080 Super. I used to have loads of CTD'S in games with the 780. I did find problem in the GPU memory and I have a issue where my pc will randomly crash to a black screen I have never been able to find the cause of that issue as it is so intermittent but it has not happened in ages touch wood lol.

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
i missed your dumps, I will ask a friend to convert them, he will reply later

Brilliant thank you very much for your help much appreciated. Still getting the BSOD everytime I try to update Windows. Just checked for integrity violations and that 's came back all clear. I have been looking at various forum posts on the internet and RAM is the one that keeps popping up the most.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/sny0gk6x/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:031122-7031-01.dmp (Mar 10 2022 - 20:18:14)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ArcSec.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

Crashing driver:
Nov 09 2011ArcSec.sysTotalMedia driver (ArcSoft)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try updating totalmedia. which version are you on? latest appears to be 3.5
The latest version of ArcSoft TotalMedia is 3.5.28.388, released on 03/13/2015
I can't find a site I would trust to get the newest version.

can always take it off and update windows, if you still use it... put it back on after update.

Last edited:

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/sny0gk6x/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:031122-7031-01.dmp (Mar 10 2022 - 20:18:14)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ArcSec.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

Crashing driver:
Nov 09 2011ArcSec.sysTotalMedia driver (ArcSoft)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Fantastic I will look into this now thank you for taking a look you have been a big help.

gardenman

Splendid
I found this which may be helpful: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/re...-blue-screen-with-windows-10-updates.3094784/

It links to the Microsoft forums, where the suggestion is to run AutoRuns and uncheck the box beside of that driver (ArcSec.sys) to prevent it from loading.

You may also need to uncheck ArcCtrl.sys too if you see it listed. I don't see it listed in the dump though.

Solution

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016

You were spot on cheers mate