Question BSOD when use both sticks of ram

Sep 17, 2022
Hi, I built a new computer about 4 months ago and over the past month have been getting random BSODs and also occasionally, the computer won't post and the motherboard will have a constant orange led light (This usually happens after a BSOD, but sometimes it can happen even when it is properly shut down the previous day). Sometimes, post BSOD, I will get an error code 0xc0000428 and be asked to use a recovery tool, but for some reason I don't really need it because it would just fix itself when I restart it. I have noticed that these issues all disappear if I just use a single stick of ram, or at least it went 5 days without any errors so far. Putting in both doesn't immediately cause a BSOD or the posting issue as well, it usually happens only after a few hours of use. I also don't think its temperature as it has crashed on idle before and at the time I was tweaking the fan speeds. I distinctly remember the system temps, CPU temps were at ~50C, RAM was at ~32C and GPU was at ~30C. I am not overclocking anything as well.

The most recent BSOD was also a bit weird, usually it just completely freezes the screen and the sound becomes weird. This time, it started with google chrome having some error before it showed the BSOD.

I have tried the following:
Memtest86 with each ram stick separately 4 passes each. No errors
Memtest86 with both ram sticks in, 4 passes. No errors.
Prime95 stress test, 17 hours. No errors.
Updated Bios latest 2803 version.
Reset Windows 10 (3 times)
Check for errors with Samsung Magician. No errors.
Tried the other dual channels. (Based on manual)
I increased voltage of ram to 1.25V (1.20V is default) hoping to increase stability.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240L RGB
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi 6)
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 ULTRA G 12G
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 16Gb x 2
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM850
Chassis: Corsair 4000D

Here is a compressed folder of the recent BSOD dump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_sLTGmlaBKn3251XvoR3IeuZWJwESPi/view?usp=sharing

If you notice, between 12/9/22 and 17/9/22 there wasn't any BSOD. During that time, I was only using 1 Ram. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks

WHICH slots are you populating?

domA33U.png

Sep 17, 2022
I have tried both dual channel configurations, B2 + A2 (This was the recommended one on the manual) and B1 + A1. Both have resulted in BSODs.

When doing single channel, I use B2 based on the recommended channels on the manual.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it worked out well, while I waited, the VM I use to convert dumps got a windows update and took 30 minutes to run that since its on a hdd.

Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 091722-9125-01.dmp (Sep 18 2022 - 01:35:55)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File: 091722-10437-01.dmp (Sep 17 2022 - 15:41:40)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

File: 091222-12109-01.dmp (Sep 12 2022 - 03:42:25)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

File: 091122-9625-01.dmp (Sep 11 2022 - 22:59:19)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

File: 091122-12468-01.dmp (Sep 11 2022 - 17:58:18)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

note:
results of dumps can be wrong if the ram is the problem. Ram can make good drivers look bad. One way to tell if its a ram problem is to fix one driver just to find it moves blame to something else.

Dump1 = error caused by CPU looking in a part of ram it doesn't have access to. Can be result of wrong instructions from driver
Dump 2 = stack text shows tcpip.sys and ndis.sys which are both used by windows to access internet/networking
Regardless of if you use WIFI or Ethernet, they both come from Intel
try running this and see if any newer drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
Dump 3 is the same as Dump 1
Dump 4 isn't obvious, but as victim is Chrome, it could be lan or GPU drivers.
Dump 5 appears it could be GPU drivers
try running DDU in safe mode, remove Nvidia drivers, boot back into normal mode and either:
  1. reinstall drivers direct from Nvidia; or
  2. Run windows update and let it find older Nvidia drivers that might be more stable
might as well update these while you there - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Sep 17, 2022
Alright, I have ran the intel driver support assistant and had 2 updates. Did a clean install of the video card driver following the thread you linked and also updated the AMD chipset drivers. I guess now I'll just have to wait and see if there are any BSODs in the next few days. I'll update if anything happens over the next few days. Thanks for your help so far.

Sep 17, 2022
Hi, just noticed something. While watching a youtube video, I got an out of memory error. Instead of refreshing the page like I normally do, I checked my task manager. I noticed that windows "News and interests" was using 99% memory and 100% disk usage. Could that have been the cause for some of the BSOD I experienced? Though this won't explain the others I've had, or does it?

Sep 17, 2022
Yea, I don't remember when it popped up but I left it as is cause I thought the weather feature was nice. Oh well, I turned it off.

Anyways, I haven't gotten any BSOD, however I still encountered the orange led light problem. I turned on my computer and it won't boot, instead, there was a constant orange led light on the motherboard. I would hold the power button for a few seconds to force it to shut down and turn it on again. Usually it will boot properly after, like it will go to orange, then red, then white and finally yellow before the computer turns on. However, sometimes it won't and I will have to keep trying multiple times before it works.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be you should buy ram that Asus actually tested and then the board might not complain as much at boot. It depends how often it happens. Its what I would do as who wants a troublesome startup?
I suspect a BIOS update that helps with ram compatibility wouldn't help with ram they didn't check anyway. You are on the latest one anyway.

Did you try their other suggestions?

Sep 17, 2022
The only thing I haven't done is change my ram outright and reinstalling my CPU. But is this a thing? Like ram compatibility to motherboard causing this kinda problems?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its more a Ryzen thing.
If the motherboard hasn't been tested with that CPU & that ram then maybe it can cause problems.
Corsair just check the ram with MB, they don't mention what CPU they use in the tests. So Its possible they have some machine that simulates an AMD CPU (I think i seen them tested) and just runs the ram in the MB using that. Possibly something like
Asus Go one step further. They use the actual CPU instead.

Intel CPU are more likely to work with ram not tested with them.

You can wait and see what Darkbreeze suggests.

The only thing I haven't done is change my ram outright and reinstalling my CPU. But is this a thing? Like ram compatibility to motherboard causing this kinda problems?
Yes. It is.

Memory needs to be selected, if you want to be SURE, or at least a lot more confident, that it is going to work with your motherboard, by selecting memory that is either listed on the motherboard QVL list or is listed by the memory manufacturer as compatible for that specific motherboard on the memory manufacturer's compatibility list. There are only a couple of memory brands that actually offer this list, which is why I tend to stick with G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial, even beyond the fact that these are basically the biggest players in the aftermarket memory segment anyway.

Corsair has it's Memory finder utility. G.Skill has it's Memory configurator. And Crucial has it's Memory system advisor. Making sure the memory has been validated for that board, not just at the JEDEC baseline default but with it's XMP, D.O.C.P, A-XMP or AMP (These are all the same, just different names used by various board manufacturer's) profile enabled.

Also, if the sticks aren't currently in the A2 and B2 slots, move them back to those slots. No sense in creating additional problems.

When I visit your link Colif it just defaults to basic page without your session cookie. Did Corsair show it as compatible for that board?

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I visit your link Colif it just defaults to basic page without your session cookie. Did Corsair show it as compatible for that board?

I just noticed they also have a CPU drop down list that only shows up after you pick motherboard
His ram is 4th down
fsLsfXo.jpg

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ngeance-RGB-PRO-SL-Black/p/CMH32GX4M2D3600C18
Details from his BIOS
SizeSpeedManufacturerPart No.
0MHzUnknownUnknown
16384MB2133MHzCorsairCMH32GX4M2D3600C18
0MHzUnknownUnknown
16384MB2133MHzCorsairCMH32GX4M2D3600C18

So corsair checked CPU & RAM with MB, and say it works... Asus didn't check ram at all.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022
If it isn't compatibility issue, then its likely the ram itself ? Is there anything else I can check? I've alr done memtest86 and prime95

Recently, I haven't gotten any BSODs, however my screen will randomly freeze and I will need to force shut down each time. It happens while browsing and sometimes before it even reaches the desktop (at the loading part with the republic of gamers logo and the prompt to enter bios "press F2 or del for bios"). The orange light still persists.

Sep 17, 2022
I uploaded a few photos of the orange light I mean. I also took a vid, of the restarting thing I meant. It happened again a few mins ago and unlike before I couldn't get it to post at all. I decided to remove one of the ram sticks and it worked, only for it to get 2 BSODs in a row. After that it refused to boot for awhile, I swapped the ram inside with the one I removed and it managed to post again. Any thoughts?

Dumps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y3gyFDu8AtxLMMXEjAY4hwOKvl8Ntbnp/view?usp=sharing

Photos:
With flash https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GvF2AahrqofWIjCImKi73uCSNtmCn0CY/view?usp=sharing
Without flash https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GriXN-hB8VFb7DfPxBzOcXZqtF9AHFZ5/view?usp=sharing

Video:
Vid to show what I mean by orange to red to white to yellow. At this point I had already removed 1 ram stick.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GwCmlj7FUliXlR4QUdWgKvU3j3zJsLND/view?usp=sharing

So, you "reset" Windows 10, 3 times. Have you done a clean install, at all?

Because a "reset" is a FAR cry from doing a clean install. When you reset you are just cleaning up the core components of the OS install, you are not starting fresh like with a clean install.

What is the exact model of the new memory kit, or is it the same as the old kit?