BSOD when using 2 sticks of RAM, OK when using 1 (1x8GB)

Jake_111

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
It all started when my laptop froze and crashed to a BSOD. The error messages vary between memory, driver, and other random errors which threw me off. I ran memtest on both sticks including a spare (all same model) and all three check out good. I have tried using a stick in both DIMMs and the computer operates normally using both. It only crashes when I use two.

I updated the BIOS and the chipset drivers and this didn't remedy the issue. Rather, after updating, the computer can now boot using two sticks, but the keyboard and mouse will not function and it appears the video drivers are also not operating due to the low resolution that appears on my desktop.

I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it showed ~40v coming through although the correct output should be 19.5v. This is obviously not good and I will be replacing it soon, but how does this relate to the issues I've been having? Could this be the cause of all my errors and is there something else that might be failing or has failed? Also the OS is on a 128GB SSD which checked out good using that nifty memory tester program (crystal something or another?). I re-installed windows already so I forgot the name.

Gigabyte P35w v2
GTX 970m
8GB DDR3 x1
intel core i7 (forgot the model)
Windows 10 x64

*edited to include specs

Jake_111

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
The system always had 2 sticks. I only removed them to troubleshoot the BSOD I kept getting. both original sticks tested ok with memtest and even my spare (all 3 are the same make/model).

Jake_111

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Whoops, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. I must have been googling some possible solutions and just posted a new topic from a thread I was reading. If a moderator wants to close this, that's fine. I'm gonna go try this in memory.

Jake_111

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Jake_111 : "BSOD when using 2 sticks of RAM, OK when using 1 (1x8GB currently)"

It all started when my laptop froze and crashed to a BSOD. The error messages vary between memory, driver, and other random errors which threw me off. I ran memtest on both sticks including a spare (all same model) and all three check out good. I have tried using a stick in both DIMMs and the computer operates normally using both. It only crashes when I use two.

I updated the BIOS and the chipset drivers and this didn't remedy the issue. Rather, after updating, the computer can now boot using two sticks, but the keyboard and mouse will not function and it appears the video drivers are also not operating due to the low resolution that appears on my desktop.

I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it showed ~40v coming through although the correct output should be 19.5v. This is obviously not good and I will be replacing it soon, but how does this relate to the issues I've been having? Could this be the cause of all my errors and is there something else that might be failing or has failed? Also the OS is on a 128GB SSD which checked out good using that nifty memory tester program (crystal something or another?). I re-installed windows already so I forgot the name.

Gigabyte P35w v2
GTX 970m
8GB DDR3 x1
intel core i7 (forgot the model)
Windows 10 x64

TRENDING THREADS