BSOD When watching YouTube on Windows 10

olipoulihot

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017
I got multiple blue screens after buying my new GPU. Most of them were happening while watching YouTube videos and the error codes were not all the same. I had Kernel errors as well as driver IRQL and memory errors. These crashes are happening at random times and there are no signs of performance drops before any crash.

My specs:
CPU: Core i7 960 3.2Ghz
Motherboard: EVGA 141-BL-E757 Tylersburg
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970 (Used to have Gigabyte GTX 760)
RAM: 4x2Gb + 1x4Gb Corsair RAM (12Gb total)
Power Supply: DeepCool DQ550ST

I tried turning off Fast Startup with no effect.

Here are my minidumps : http://www.mediafire.com/file/tucdt4b4xtt1a88/Minidumps.zip

Solution
when windows update updates a graphic driver it only updates one of the three drivers and the driver does not get installed until you reboot the system. The GPU vendors setup program installs at least 3 different drivers for the graphics card. (extra functionality). when you have the vendors drivers installed they have to talk to each other, It works pretty good as long as the builds are not too far apart. Problems happens when windows update plops down a new base driver that does not match the other two drivers. it is one of the reasons people use tools to completely uninstall the graphics drivers then reinstall them with the current version. Some of the setups of the GPU drivers allow you to not install the GPU sound driver...

Mark RM

Admirable
"The file you attempted to download has been previously claimed by a copyright holder through a valid DMCA request and cannot be downloaded."

Having said that, did you uninstall with DDU and reinstall cleanly the display drivers?

olipoulihot

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017

I did a clean reinstall with DDU indeed.

olipoulihot

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017

After analysing, it basically tells it's a graphic driver problem. However it's weird that these crashes show up even after a clean reinstall of my Nvidia drivers.

I also updated the download link to my dump files. The previous one had the wrong file.

looks like only one of your NVidia GPU drivers was updated on Friday dec 15 2017
all of the other NVidia GPU driver are old.

I would suspect your system was rebooted and a pending Microsoft windows update of the GPU base driver completed.

you need to go to NVidia and update your entire GPU driver set. including the GPU high def audio driver. (it will fix this bugcheck)
------------

from the bugcheck, I would guess that the GPU had problems because of the mixed driver builds, caused the GPU to use too much power from the motherboard PCI/e slot. The motherboard reset the CPU to stop the overload, Then the psu failed to prevent the reboot and let the system start up again. then a bugcheck was called because of problems with the GPU. (7 seconds after the system tried to reboot)

anyway, install the GPU drivers again directly from NVidia and it should fix this problem.

two other issues: (look up and see if you need this, it is pretty old, or look for a update)
Iomega (Acquired By Lenovo) Virtual Network Miniport Driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vNICdrv.sys Thu Feb 2 08:16:23 2012

you might also want to go to your motherboard vendor and pick up any custom drivers for your machine.

your bios is dated in 2011, which means that it will not correctly support USB functions.
you should see if you can update the BIOS to a version after april of 2012 so that the Microsoft generic USB drivers are more likely to work.
the bios and motherboard drivers should be updated at the same time.

olipoulihot

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I reinstalled all my Nvidia drivers just to be sure but I don't understand what you mean by all of the other drivers.

when windows update updates a graphic driver it only updates one of the three drivers and the driver does not get installed until you reboot the system. The GPU vendors setup program installs at least 3 different drivers for the graphics card. (extra functionality). when you have the vendors drivers installed they have to talk to each other, It works pretty good as long as the builds are not too far apart. Problems happens when windows update plops down a new base driver that does not match the other two drivers. it is one of the reasons people use tools to completely uninstall the graphics drivers then reinstall them with the current version. Some of the setups of the GPU drivers allow you to not install the GPU sound driver. You should install it but then go into windows device manager and disable it if you do not use sound via your video cable. IE no speakers in your monitor.

Solution

olipoulihot

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017
The H264 plugin is intalled and my NVIDIA Audio driver is disabled. It appears that the crashes on YouTube have been slightly less frequent. My problem isn't quite fully fixed tho. Might have to just return to my old GPU after all.

There might be also an important point I forgot to mention. I was previously on Windows 7 and was experiencing freezes that needed a reboot with my GTX 970 on my PC and decided to format my main drive and install Windows 10 instead. Maybe this can give more clues for what the problem is.

Anyway. here are some new minidumps from recent blue screens : http://www.mediafire.com/file/dy1oo293qs9x2ss/minidumps%282%29.zip

olipoulihot

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017

This driver is indeed useless for me now. But I can't delete it since it says it is used by another unknown program. Is there a way to uninstall this driver? It doesn't show up in the program list.

When I look in the EVGA website, the latest available BIOS update for my MB is from 2011. I don't think I can update it.

you should be able to boot into safe mode and delete the diver directly, then reboot and see if you can find the service that was trying to use it and disable it. Without the driver the service should fail to start.

with a old bios the Microsoft drivers for your USB can stop responding. It happens with my wife's old machine every 3 to 5 days. It was a bug in the actual USB chips on the motherboard. You can power down your machine/restart rather than having the machine sleep.

be sure to blow out any dust from the machines fans. the dust can really cause the fans to slow down and heat build up.

Latest posts